Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its a weird thing I have only seen in Ireland and nowhere else, where if red lights are there for motorists and no one can legally drive through the pedestrian crossing at the time that the ped lights stay red unless pressed. It is bizarre and occurs nowhere else AFAIK

He posted these stats at the end of his latest video

Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

A cyclist criticising motorists for breaking red lights ...stones ....glasshouse...

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Yes, some cyclists break red lights, some motorists do (actually, more motorists do), but I think the ramifications of the latter are much more serious. I doubt if anyone has been killed by a cyclist breaking the lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this post is a little weird, not sure whether it's in jest or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's either in jest or beyond silly.

But as a btw, as a motorist and a person who cycles I've never broken red lights in either case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They had a pop at immigrant drivers elsewhere so who the **** knows

Come on now lads , cyclist are notorious for breaking red lights .I seem to expect this forum to be mostly frequented by racing cyclists but I guess there are plenty of ‘Green Party cyclists’ too.Dont appreciate the cyber stalking /commenting on my posts elsewhere either .A triple mod rounding upon , sheesh !

Now that IS an old argument which I wouldn’t subscribe to .Not sure if you’re being serious or in jest .But that seems to be common lately .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

2011abc take a look at the forum charter, specifically point 9 before posting in the Cycling Forum again.

9. Event entry requests/offersDo not start any requests in the main forum requesting or offering entries for events such as the WW200, ROK, SKT etc. Do a search in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum. If no thread has alkready been started for a particular event in a particular year you may start one. A single thread should be used for all requests and offers for each event, with priority being given to the earliest poster who is seeking an entry

It's a point done to death and while regular posters fully acknowledge some cyclists run lights, the same way some motorists do, it is also widely accepted (from actual recorded data) that cyclists in the majority do not run lights and those that do, do so at a far lower level than other road users. Considering the decrease in risk from a cyclist compared to a motorist, followed by the far lower amount of cyclists doing it, it is genuinely a non issue that needs to be dropped.

TLDR it may be a reputation but it isn't actually justified so it does breach the forum rules on negativity towards cyclists in general.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Do they need to be wearing green or would these party cyclists qualify?

A ‘Green Party cyclist ‘ will use bike paths , a ‘real’ one will be happy dicing with the traffic down the Quays etc .Maybe (with so many mods around ?) its time to discuss whether cycling as a sport or form of transport belong in the same forum ? Cargo bikes( very Green Party!) and Colnago’s have as much in common as Nissan Leafs and formula 1 cars surely ? Anyway that Mikey fella is the very antithesis of sporting cyclists ( apart from maybe one or two commissaires?)

A ‘Green Party cyclist ‘ will use bike paths , a ‘real’ one will be happy dicing with the traffic down the Quays etc

Jesus wept lol 🤦‍♂️

I have raced on my commuter and commuted on my racer. I use bike paths when they are suitable and safe, and the road in other scenario's.

As for splitting the forum, it's been voted upon many times with the same reasons coming up and it is typically heavily defeated as the cross over between what you think are two distinct groups is too large.

Feel free to go to the forum request section if you think the tide has changed though. The MTB sub forum has been reasonably successful and I for one opposed it. I am over the moon to be wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would like to respond, but my brain has melted. i am off to put it in an ice bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

The "No true Scotsman" has to be one of my favourite fallacies...

• Advertisement

I own a cargobike which makes me green party cyclist based on your point above. But I dont tend to use cycle lanes which means I'm not a green party cyclist.

Not sure you thought your point through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At the risk of kicking the hornets nest once again. 😁

I'd agree the ramifications of a car passing through a red light are far higher. However to say more motorists break red lights than cyclists, I'd have to disagree. It may be different in more rural areas but if you go to any built up towns or cities it's by far more common for cyclists, typically commuters or delivery guys to be fair to break a red light.

Yes, I'm sure there will be many here, myself included that say they have never done so but in my experience that would put you in the minority.

That awkward moment when Gardai prove your belief to be very, very wrong

https://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-dublin-3018953-Oct2016/

GARDAÍ HAVE CAUGHT 24 times more motorists than cyclists breaking red lights so far this year in Dublin.

The figures, released at a press conference in Dublin this morning, show that 1,296 cars in Dublin have been recorded breaking a red light so far in 2016 – 24 times the rate of cyclists caught breaking red lights (54) in the same period.

If more cyclists broke red lights like you incorrectly believe it would be like shooting fish in a barrel and we'd see far more then cyclists than motorists caught by Gardai OR at the very least we'd see the gap narrow to maybe 2x the different. Not the 24x times quoted by Gardai.

It's not a belief it's from experience and if you honestly believe gardai are actively policing cyclists breaking red lights save the odd token publicity drive then you sir are very naive.

I really do find it interesting how belligerent some cyclists are about this.

Also the timeline of that article you've posted wouldn't be very confidence inspiring. So far this year then references figures from 2016 🤔

So your single bias experience is superior to the Gardai's proper statistics.

🙄

Nobody is saying red light breaking doesn't happen, it does. But it happens far, far more with motorists as I have shown. Motorists are also a far, far greater danger to both vulnerable road users and other motorists when they do it as well.

I find it interesting how some people are so belligerent to facts and figures that challenge their narrow bias viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The real question is why the obsession with red light jumping. If you want to compare law breaking, start by bringing speeding and mobile phone use into the comparison.

A better comparison would focus on outcomes, death and serious injury rates.

Well unlike your report I tend to use my experience as a point of reference, on the other hand you have not shown anything of note. You posted a link to an old report in what in my opinion is skewed as Gardai do not pursue cyclists breaking red lights in the same way as they would motorists.

I would agree with this but my point is not so much about red light jumping but how some are willing to turn a blind eye to suit their modus operandi.

Mobile phone use is one of the worst motoring offences I see on the roads. The issue is largely ignored to the point I recently witnessed a garda car randomly slowing next to cars along the N7 and telling drivers to get off of their phones. This is not tackling the issue and is lazy policing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

FFS

• Advertisement

Advertisement