Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Kyokushin Grappler

I grew up in the 80s and they were on and on about Holes in the Ozone Layer. To say there wasn't ever a mention of climate change, Global Warming, etc [and they've changed the verbiage a few times] says you have either selective memory or you're lying.

So we just let ourselves be overwhelmed with Mass illegal immigrants? We have no right to speak up and stop this? GTFOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ozone layer holes were caused by CFCs in aerosols and fridges. The main danger was UV levels and cancer. We were able to solve the problem and the ozone layer is returning to previous levels.

Not the same as global warming. In fact Ozone holes have minor cooling effects as more heat can escape into space.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I have no idea what we will do. But it will happen. Speak up all you want but you ain't seen nothing yet.

As I said, our choice will be whether to be life raft or a fortress.

We can't be a life raft for everybody. Our only obligations are too our own. We don't owe the world a God damn thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Closing off access to the EU seems to be the way to handle it, we don't ever want to see a situation like what happened in 2015 happening again .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,145 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

By even 2030 in lot of news outlets last year said Ireland was going to have places underwater from climate change.

What I'm saying is if this is true are we doing a disservice to people coming here because we have our own climate criss will have as much problems as many other down line.

Are asylum seekers and refugees walking into minefield by coming here if they have move elsewhere within next decade.

Surely they be better going to country that won't be swimming pool? Surely we have obligation to let people know that too as much as bringing them in.

The EU cannot be closed off. No matter how hard you try. The southern borders on the Med will always be a sieve.

I don't recall that at all. I heard metrics up to 1 meter of sea level rise which is a huge amount. I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Nowhere near it.

Anyway it wont be sea level rises that cause mass migrations from Africa. It will be food security and water scarcity. They will have no choice but to leave.

• Advertisement

Just an example from today

Spain hit by unusually early heatwave as record-breaking temperatures expected (thejournal.ie)

AN UNUSUALLY EARLY heatwave in drought-hit Spain is set to peak tomorrow with temperatures expected to break April records in the south of the country.

The heatwave follows an abnormally warm and dry spring, spelling catastrophe for the agriculture sector in Spain, the world’s biggest exporter of olive oil and a key source of Europe’s fruit and vegetables.

The situation is so bad that some farmers have opted not to plant crops. The COAG farmers’ union has warned that 60 percent of farmland was “suffocating” from lack of rainfall.

Spain on Tuesday urged Brussels to activate the bloc’s agriculture crisis reserve to help farmers cope with the exceptional drought, while also announcing a series of tax breaks.

Last year, Spain experienced its hottest year since records began, and UN figures suggest nearly 75 percent of its land is susceptible to desertification due to climate change.

The number of days with summer temperatures in Spain has increased from 90 to 145 between 1971 and 2022, according to a study by the Polytechnic University of Catalonia published Tuesday.

----------------

If it's bad in Spain, it must be even worse further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

As far as climate refugees are concerned,yes in the future climate change may well be a problem. The time scale involved here may be decades or even centuries.

We have time to adapt. I'm normally against the left but on this issue I am in agreement with none other than Bernie Sanders. Family planning advice could be offered to countries such as Nigeria (population growth there is staggering).

I would not advocate abortion but perhaps allow access to contraception or educate on the rythm method of birth control.

What we can't have is more immigration. THAT IS NOT ON.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49601678

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

You've got this completely wrong. While there is some concern that rising sea levels could have an impact in a number of Irish coastal areas, plans were showing what is possible in 30 years or so, and if no action was taken in the meantime to prevent this.

This pales into insignificance compared to areas closer to the Equator which would herald the departure from those areas of thousands upon thousands. Yes, education and smaller population increases will be a help but there does seem an acceptance that many will want to come to countries with a more pleasant climate. Basically northern Europe.

As we are seeing across Europe, local populations are increasingly having more to say about this hence the growth of anti immigration political parties.

Ireland will be no different despite the well heeled leftists jumping up and down shouting shouting racism and fascism, at every opportunity. We are still very much in the early days of this phenomenon.

I'd say in around a decade, 15 years or so, we'll be in a similar situation to Denmark and Sweden although who knows how much will be affected by the EU as whole stance to increased immigration across its borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,626 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That would appear to be the situation under law, yes. In the case of the Afghan guy who went to court, it seems he was 17 years old and left homeless and begging on the streets for three weeks straight after arriving in Ireland, despite being supposedly under the 'protection' of the Irish govt whilst his asylum claim was being assessed.

You could definitely strongly argue that the State also has a legal and moral obligation to provide accommodation to every single Irish person at risk of homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Maybe somebody from his area who has settled in Ireland can take him in?

Though if we had a Govt with a backbone we tell the EU to **** off with their ruinous ideas.

I'm no expert, but from what I can gather if you've put in an asylum claim, you are now under the protection of the state and are not free to move in with someone or with a relative i.e. you are not a free agent and must stay in state accommodation and remain wherever you are told to stay.

(The situation with Ukrainians is completely different as they are not officially claiming asylum).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I flew into Kosice last night in Slovakia. 92km to the Ukrainian border.

The amount of Ukrainians on the flight was scarey. We are being taken for a ride by a large majority of them.

Chatting to Ukrainians in work. Their take is that the only refugees are those from occupied areas. The rest are economic migrants.The amount telling me they are going home to a war zone on holiday, ballet exams for their kids, ( really happened) , medical treatment, visiting family makes a joke of the whole thing.

More footage of highly skilled professionals over to make sure pension pots of the future are just overflowing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Q_7RLnD8CfE?feature=share

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

There is no such obligation whatsoever. The state however, will not offer financial assistance towards any such arrangement.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Advertisement

They do and they do , it’s just not everyone is capable of living in a home and end up on the streets

Considering many are driving all the way across mainland Europe in their very fancy cars, to hop a ferry to get here. Yes, we are very much being taken for a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If a person is able to find alternative accomodation to that provided by the state they can of course avail of it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No real evidence for any of this. It would surely be expensive for the state to house asylum seekers or refugees and they would actually much prefer if none arrived at all. The idea that they see it as some sort of money making racket sounds a bit bonkers - how could the state make a profit by having to house refugees from abroad at its own expense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

It creates a certain type of voter at a later date.

But I've just said the government would much prefer if no refugees or asylum seekers arrived at all (from the economic viewpoint). The asylum system is expensive, with no chance to make a profit on it.

It would be like claiming the govt would much rather if the prison population was a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

I have seen three videos of adult migrants suffering from mental health issues who don't much look like they could function in society without help.

All jokes about doctors and rocket scientists aside I don't know how some of them make it all the way to the extreme western end of Europe. It's almost like they are being aided.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

"Figures obtained by The Mail on Sunday show 75 per cent of Albanian nationals who have arrived illegally have since committed at least one criminal offence in the UK."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭enricoh

They have the coke trade sown up in the UK , record numbers started applying here for asylum in the last few years and a few big busts here recently were Albanians.

I've no doubt they'll be taking over the reins here soon enough.

Advertisement