Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There is quite a lot of it. I believe they even brought their own stairs for Knock Airport. Ireland west does not have Ford F350 AirStairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭sparky42

😂😂

And she even has it pinned and tried defending it…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The best thing for western civilisation would be if Twitter went bankrupt and nothing ever fully replaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Lookit. There are some things that even the most powerful man in the world cannot deliver.

Yep, nothing of value would be lost, and Musk might shut the feck up for a while as well.

• Advertisement

Twitter, slowly becoming today's myspace/bebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If the air corps got 2 extra 295s plus the one on order which would allow us to join one of the european transport partnerships, What way does that work would air corps crew get trained on the likes of A400s or is it a case if a country needs certain size of aircraft what ever partner has the size will supply crew and aircraft?

There are no set rules, a co-operative can be whatever the partners want it to be.

And so Ireland doesn't have to have a certain number or type of planes to become involved, we just have to be able to stump up a fair share of the joint assets that the partners decide the operation should have, e.g. 50% of an A400M.

Some of Martins comments:

The Tánaiste said he was also exploring being part of a broader EU approach and that there were some programmes where European countries come together and combine resources in terms of strategic airlift capability.

Mr Martin said he had asked his officials to explore joining such a programme where EU countries come together and purchase aircraft and there is an agreement in terms of utilisation.

“I’ve asked my officials to explore joining such a programme, which would give us access to the utilisation of aircraft in addition to procuring our own strategic capability,” he said.

“I’ve asked for that to be explored and I’m very keen that we would join such a programme for humanitarian purposes and for recreation purposes.”

Whats he on about there? But in reality how much “exploring” does it take? These aren’t new programs or anything, the information should be easily accessible, and frankly should have been looked at at least since Kabul.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw this beauty in Palanga, Lithuania a few weeks ago…

1 on the tarmac as we landed, and then I drove past the airport about an hour later and a 2nd was on the ground unloading a massive amphibious type of craft….. then down at the shops I saw it depart….

drove back past the airport and the original one was still on the deck, so grabbed a few more pics….

it eventually departed the following morning…..

Every now and again I see (hear) a few Eurofighter Typhoons departing Palanga also, and the noise off them is fcuking incredible…..

• Advertisement

In irish govt terms that comes down to 3 things.

1. What will it cost us
    2. Will we be sued by anyone for doing it this way
    3. What will it cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just train a group of pilots on 737's and 'Requisition' i.e.seize one from Ryanair when required for an emergency 😊

Seven Worlds will Collide

No need. The Brits lease this Aircraft, among others, from Titan Air Leasing. Such Aircraft are available, in fairly short order, on a wet lease or dry lease basis, all painted up in national colours, if desired.

For standard transport, fine, but once you start flying leased aircraft in and out of active warzones, you find the legal people start shouting down the phone at you. T&Cs apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I suspect we'd need some new statutory powers for that - and think of the compensation that the aircraft's owners would seek, even if there was a legal basis for grabbing their assets.

As evidenced by the large amount of money the leasing companies are trying to get from their insurance firms after Russia stole their aircraft. Not too mention the idea of flying civilian planes into combat zones as evidenced by the reports a Turkish C130 took fire in the last 24 hours.

We can easily afford a military transport capability if we want it, no need for “taking up from trade” issues, just buy a C130 or two and use them.

I mean more as a multi-purpose State aircraft, including moving troops into theatre for UN missions, but not for active hot zones.

I think if we had a light business jet, an A321LR, the C295W and a share in a strategic airlift partnership operating A400M, it would cover really every eventuality required by the Irish Defence Forces and Government for all civil and military airlift/VIP/medevac needs.

Wouldn’t disagree much with that, other than perhaps a need for a bit of redundancy and maybe at least a second 295, would help reliability issues and training capacity along with actually missions.

I see the UK are getting ready to park up there hercs shortly and no cobfirmed deals yet to buy them. 1 transport casa and 3 hercs would go a long way to improving our military transport options

We've nailed our colours to the mast with the C295s and talk of a shared strategic lift partnership, which would most likely be A400M or joining the existing SAC which operates C-17 GMIII. There is now a zero chance of acquiring C-130s from the UK or anyone else.

• Advertisement

If we had gone to with picking up a herc back in 2000ish when the AC floated it then moving on to surplus Hercs now would make sense, but at this stage, short of getting the RAF to lend us an entire support staff and everything those Hercs would be sitting on the tarmac for years as we tried building up the manpower. If we actually sign on to a partnership and use the 295s well then it might be the best option for where we are and a realistic growth path.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭mupper2

That as well, aren’t they due for some costly work if they are to remain in service? Realistically how much extra manpower would we need to sustain 3 Hercs anyway?

We could do with an extra 2/3 295s. Look at how hard the pc12s are worked

The costly (wing box) work has already been done. They are early J models, but in herc terms, barely run in. I'm sure plenty of H users will be interested in grabbing them.

Comparing apples & oranges there. The PC12 was a Cessna replacement. It's being used in the same role what the (Non Maritime) Kingair of the past did.. It hasn't started doing what it was supposed to yet.

Perhaps, but the point is still surely valid that we could do with more 295's, imo at least 2(4) more MPAs and a Transport version.

I'd go so far as to say 4 MPAs are the bare minimum an island nation on the Atlantic western seaboard of Europe needs.

Portugal, also on the Atlantic seaboard has 5 C295 as well as 5 P3 Orions. Denmark uses 3 Canadair Challengers for maritime patrol.

Flight crew, loadmasters, mechs and techs, squadron leaders and staff officers to keep 2 of 3 flying and on-call?

Probably 50 additional bodies above establishment, not to mind current shortages.

Pro rata for any additional C295s.

Believe me lads, aircraft are not the problem here. Its entirely an equation of bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Advertisement