Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in regards the forward line , it really should be meehan , mccarthy and rodgers , with mccarthy drifting in and out , but today our game plan was to go deep and retreat to the 45 for tipperary puck outs , if we turned the ball over as a result , we had a fella in the middle 3rd being put under instant pressure with no one inside , shannaher slightly changed that , but michael breen was excellent under the high ball all day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd agree with that. I do think Taylor, O'Donnell, and Duggan should be under strict instructions to get the ball into Rodgers hands at all costs. There's goals and assists in Rodgers. I watched a lot of Fitz this year, and Rodgers made Mikey Kiely look like a superstar this year. I'd say Rodgers had a pain his hand from the amount of goals he laid off.

the game plan was stupid by us today , we put tipp under no pressure coming out with the ball wheres ye devoured us in possession inside our own 45 it was worth about 8 or 9 points today ,

if the likes of rodgers or even galvin or reidy or whoever are asked to play that deep the next day it wont matter who we start its hampering us straight away , brian hogan was taking his puck outs from the 45 for a finish

my only straw left to clutch on is ,all the mistakes we made today we never usually make bar the wides , id happily take 16 wides next Saturday night if we win

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Some talk about the Munster Football Final being played in Ennis. I don't know if there is substance to it.

It would be the making of the occasion if it is played there. Probably get 15000 attendance which would lead to a good atmosphere in the Park. That attendance in the Gaelic Grounds would be sparse.

Kerry should have no issue, they always get a relatively good contest off Clare in Ennis, I'm sure they want a good contest and they hardly fear being turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Would have thought that Jason Forde was head and shoulders Tipps best player in the league. It's a valid point though, it's very hard just to switch it on come championship, especially with the short gap now.

• Advertisement

The county board contacted both the Kerry board and the Munster council Saturday night after the Limerick game to express there intention of hosting the final in Ennis,

They met with the Kerry board last night to discuss it further, a decision will be made tonight by the Munster council as to where its on

From what I hear there's plenty of appetite from Kerry supporters in particular to play it in Ennis,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

But would it mean that the next Clare v Kerry Munster final would be in Killarney?

Yes , the only way any team will get home advantage is by way of a coin toss , it's either that or a neutral venue

Clare have a bye into next year's semi final of the Munster Championship with Kerry on the other side of the draw , it's not beyond the possibility that the two teams might meet again in the final,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭fire_man

I am looking for a ticket for Limerick game.There is only terrace available at the moment online.Will there be stand tickets online later in week or should I approach Club at this stage?

The club should have a number of seated tickets, chance that first, there will be plenty of terrace tickets knocking about if the club don't have seated tickets

• Advertisement

Sub for Ruan...

`corofin /ruan that is ..... and ogonnelloe is a very dangerous place for a tipperary man to be wandering around !!

Where did Ogonnelloe come into it?

Sure, that's where I walk the dog, up to Moylussa. And then down over the bridge, sticking the chest out, for a big feed in Flanagans.

wires crossed , taught you were giving another update on another mediocre clare gaa tie , ruan were playing over in ogonnelloe tonight

poor old michael o'reagan the announcer did a bit of a mess of his clubmates substitution alright ....

i imagine the dog will walk across the bridge on two legs with his own chest out this week 😒

Ah sure, it was a bit of craic. Bitta of a laugh in the stand.

Ye have a right chance this weekend. Lohan is doing the right things- he has added more threat up front. Touch and striking is never going to be right first day out. Possibly too many changes in the full and goal keeping line at once coming into the championship. Bit of inexperience. And perhaps Foudy and Cleary haven't played together enough yet to know each other inside out. They can organize those situations now.

I hope Lohan keeps believing in that system and doesn't get gun shy now because if ye're to beat the rest of them, ye'll need goals.

50% of teams who lose the first round in Munster championship still get through.

It's only just beginning. Tipp could be out yet. There'll be more than a few twists along these crazy few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

There is truth in that. but I would question Foudys instinct for positioning for a few of the goals. The first line ball goal came through and it should have been dealt with. If any full back breaks a ball through to a goal you expect a goalie to deal with it. No touch or deflection on the ball. That to me is goal keeping instinct to be in the right place. It's tough on him, but I think Lohan has to make the change..

He needs to bring Hayes in if he is fit for cornerback, or even put David Mc back at this stage.

David Fitzgerald is needed at midfield. Malone is honest but just missing that little bit at times.

To be honest. Tony Kelly's game now needs to change as he gets a bit older. We need to see him win puckouts not be the runner for puckouts. KK and now Tipp have figured out what we know in Clare. Deny possession on puck-outs and run with Kelly to deny him space. If you can stop clean puckout win on Clare's puckout,, you take most of Kelly's game out.

Is David Riedy injured? Massive loss if he is.

O'Donnells first match also, so it's will also be interesting to see how he is the next day. Thought Taylor limped a bit going off.

Also, to be honest, I'm not sure Lohan actually has the best players in Clare on the panel. Now that's a bit of a statement but in reality, I think there are some better hurlers in the county than some of the subs.

Limerick Senior Hurling Team v Clare in MSHC Rd 2 is Announced.

Nickie Quaid

Sean Finn

Dan Morrissey

Barry Nash

Diarmaid Byrnes

Declan Hannon (C)

Kyle Hayes

Darragh O’Donovan

William O Donoghue

Cathal O Neill

Cian Lynch

Tom Morrissey

Aaron Gillane

Seamus Flanagan

Peter Casey

16 Jamie Power (Monaleen)

17 Conor Boylan (Na Piarsaigh)

18 Mike Casey (Na Piarsiagh)

19 Ronan Connolly (Adare)

20 Colin Coughlan (Ballybrown)

21 Richie English (Doon)

22 Gearoid Hegarty (St. Patrick’s)

23 Graeme Mulcahy (Kilmallock)

24 Barry Murphy (Doon)

25 Donnacha Ó Dálaigh (Monaleen)

26 David Reidy (Dromin/Athlacca)

Clare team also announced. Only two changes.

Quilligan replacing Foudy in goals.

Taylor has an injury and drops to the bench, but David Fitzgerald comes straight back in.

I think that makes sense and I'd hope that the other players will have been brought on by the game last week.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. Unless Limerick were playing the media earlier in the week. Wouldn't be surprised if Hegarty and Mike Casey to start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭fire_man

I need a seated ticket in uncovered stand if anyone has one.Thanks

i reckon our game last week will stand to us , its all about getting the shape at the back right and cutting down massively on the mistakes we made last week

in terms of stats

, the tipperary v clare game was played at a much more frantic pace , the ball was in play for a total o 34, 57 minutes out of just over 70 minutes which is just under 50% of the overall game time , compared to the limerick Waterford game where the ball was in play just 29.45 minutes in a very stop start game , the game itself was played out over 80 minutes due to those stoppages which is just over one third of the overall game time

there were only 4 passages of play that exceeded 50sec or more in thurles , with the longest passage of 56:57sec in the first few minutes

while the number was twice that in ennis with the longest passage of the game 1:16 with out a break in play

we hit the same number of wides as waterford but scored 3-16 from play wheres limerick scored 1-10 from play in a slower paced game

to their credit limerick only conceded 0-6 to our 4-17 ,

Clare v tipperary 110 passages of play ball in play 34.57 minutes

limerick v waterford 112 passages of play 29.45 minutes

point of all this scientific gobbledygook is bar the obvious areas where we need to improve especially in terms of mistakes at the back , limerick need to up the game by another 5 minutes , that is huge in hurling , the other is , or scoring form play ratio was actually good in such a high intense game , if we keep to this level for the rest of the championship we will win two games , whether one of them is tomorrow who knows

it also highlights my handy number at work that allows me to watch theses games back with a stop watch , once its on someone else's time of course and not your own !!!

you could always have a late change or 2 , i imagine if he was 60% fit kiely would want him on the field even just for the first 30 minutes until the game settles , its usally form the 30 to 50 minute mark limerick take control of games they dont like any funny stuff going on before hand

ryan taylor will start for us if he passes a late fitness test , had a fine game last week apart from a couple of really poor wides

Hon the Banner !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Anyone from banner reckon ye could have two wins and 4 pts if last weeks bizarre decision to drop quilligan hadn’t been made..?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Not just because of the keeper tbf. Clares intensity was way up today. The difference between hoping to win and needing to win Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Only saw the ‘highlights’ / lowlights from Clare perspective of last weeks game but the ‘keeper’ certainly didn’t help……tonight it was what a team like limerick should have been getting way before now….pressurised and man marked and forced into corners etc etc old fashioned ‘jack Charlton’ type stuff……quaid eventually resorted into lashing balls as far as he could in the end and a lot of their signature ‘tippy Tappy’ stick and hand passes didn’t work too well either…..one or two from Lynch made him look like an U12…in any case it makes for a very interesting 2/3 weeks of games…..if cork win tomorrow then I’d saw it’s curtains for waterford…….could conceivably be tipp, cork and Clare that progress…! After the league final who would have predicted that..? Another feature of tonight’s game was the lack of ‘head attacks’ no elbows or Hurley taps to helmets / ‘playing on the edge’ stuff from Flanagan/Hayes/Hegarty etc…

We could have beaten Tipp, or lost to Limerick. Fine margins really.

while Clare did play well, Limerick really malfunctioned tonight but still almost won it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Fantastic battle by both sets of players. Unfortunately a Clare supporter passed away at the ground. RIP.

Advertisement