Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sorry I missed it now. I know plenty will say the hardcore would have found a way to see it but I think the GAA are seriously damaging the game by not having these free to air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I doubt that very much. Great teams usually bounce back after a defeat. Nice couple weeks break to get the bodies and minds right. Tipp might be better placed if Limerick had of won tonight. And possible Limerick complacency is gone now. A wounded animal is a dangerous thing. I'd expect a strong Limerick response and Tipp may well feel the brunt of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Some joke, RTE a disgrace with all the coverage of wooden spoon women's rugby match; in Dublin but at least a limerick mate who was at match told me about live 95 coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I would happily swap the RTE Commentary particluarly Marty Morrisey for the GAAGO commentary team tonight!

I was pleasently surprised by the quality of the GaaGo coverage tonight after reading some negative reviews!

I was around the city today and saw that Leinster must have been playing few people wearing jerseys found out it was on at 3pm so thought at least that will be out of the way for the GAA coverage later so i was disgusted when RTE were broadcasting some womans rugby game when i tuned in for the Clare v Limerick game. I had listened to regular updates of Wex v Antrim and Dub v Westmeath earlier so thought the big evening gamr would get full uninterupted coverage. RTE really not covering themselves in glory tonight (unless your a womans rugby fan).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Showed the rugby on TV and also used up previous time on radio commentating on it. The GAA missed a golden opportunity to outdo all other sports today by not having the hurling live on RTE.

Sometimes one's view is blinded by the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

This 'Low-Han' rubbish again this year. Coming from some silly little Clare\Galway rivalry. Childish.

That Leinster game was a European semi final. 4 players on view were nominated for World Player of the year it was a great match.

The hurling was a great match. RTE can't predict what games will be classics. Hurling gets its fair share of coverage. There are other sports, the viewership for a European Rugby semi with Toulouse and Leinster is huge. Antoine Dupont is far more known internationally than Tony Kelly and Seamus Flanagan. In many parts of gaelic football Ireland the later isn't known. Not to understand this is living in a little bubble. Hurling is as niche as hare coursing.

I agree with you on the ladies 6 Nations match v Scotland. You do yourself no favours by typing about 'some womans rugby match'. It's not a good look to take pride in ignorance. I don't agree with its extended coverage. But take a look around the times are changing. The promotion of female sports, the addition of female pundits. This competition for air time means your beloved hurling will be hit on the coverage front occasionally.. because they have to flick over to a wimmins' game.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭caddy16

Looking at the remaining fixtures it really opens it up for a cracking Munster Championship. A Waterford win tomorrow will make it even tighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭blackcard

Scarcely believable that Limerick were outpointed from play by 19 points to 8. Casey and Hegarty didn't score, Gillane, Lynch and Flanagan only got 1 point each from play. (Not including goals)

I don't have any interest in rugby. Men or womans. If the Leinster match was on at the same time as the Clare game i'd understand commentating on both. Wouldn't like it but i'd accept it. Not for some womans rugby match though. Oops i said again. What are the viewership or listenership figures for womans rugby do you know? Has it a big following? Lets hope it doesn't share airtime with a big GAA match again because just like this evening i'll be off to Clare FM/TIPP FM/KCLR FM in a heartbeat. It's nice to have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

They had some poor wides but they were under pressure on most scoring attempts. And seldom if ever did we see acres of space on the wings for them to exploit with simple tap over points that they are used to. Man for man and dont give them an inch is the only way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe but Limerick played a lot better that game last year. Tonight I was mostly just frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Very little between Munster teams now. In fairness we nearly know it’s Galway and Kilkenny every year for the Leinster final , could be any 2 Munster teams this year for the Munster final , now we will see how good limerick really are , pressure on them now

I can imagine. Credit to Clare though for not allowing Limerick to play better.

"How good Limerick really are"

You make it sound like they are unproven or have been spoofing so far ?

Dublin and Wexford both with expected home wins today although neither really seem to playing very well. The game between the two in Croke Park next time out should decide who makes it out of the group in third place.

For Antrim it's the usual gutsy performance but no points to show for it.

Tomorrows game in Nowlan Park looks like a warm up for the Leinster final.

The Irish Times got it spot on.

"Clare made the Limerick players the things the Limerick players usually make everyone else – hurried, unsteady, unsure. And so John Kiely’s side found themselves forcing matters"

It struck me particularly in the second half that the quality of ball into the Limerick forwards was nowhere near as good as normal. Lynch, Casey, Hegarty did not get on the ball a lot. Credit to Clare. But we saw last year that Hegarty was generally poor enough until the AI Final when he had a man of the match display. I expect Lk to bounce back in a big way.

• Advertisement

You didn't read my last paragraph. Ire v Scotland Womens 6 Nations Rugby will be broadcast due to societal change. Not because of viewership, or quality. 2023 is not 2003. I don't agree with its precedence over Clare v Limerick. The standard is abysmal. But we're in a different world now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So unbalanced system

3rd in Leinster no better than 4th/5th in Munster

Should be an All Ireland round robin type system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The fouling and holding off the ball by the Clare backs was wreckless stuff . The referee spotted about quarter of the Clare backs fouls and holding of limerick forwards .

30,460 was some crowd all the same in limerick tonight for a round robin match .

be interesting to see how many at cork v Waterford tomorrow, bound to be a few extra sensing this may no TV be limericks year after all .

People were moaning about the gaa been shown on sky and as a result gave ended worse off with it now on a even more obscure pay for view platform

It's because we forced to play more 50/50 ball to the forwards. Lynch is at his best when we can play the short pass game through the lines.

Morrissey up front and Nash behind were absolutely brilliant today. Along with O'Neill, Quaid and Flanagan kept us in the game.

It is possible this Limerick defeat will be a blessing in disguise. The pressure of winning all the time and some games by a close margin with some draws added into the mix must be mentally draining. You could imagine Limerick almost afraid to lose but now that they have it may release the pressure valve a bit. That monkey is off their back now. Nobody can say to them that they cannot and won't be beaten. Pyschologically it may work in their favour. It will be very interesting when they meet Tipp next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭einn32

• Advertisement

I thought decisions went both ways. If anything I thought Limerick got the rub of the green. Both sides threw the ball but it wasn't being called. But generally I think the better team on the day won an excellent match

Advertisement