Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Stick to the hand written letters and lay off the internet for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Village87

No I was just stating that it was disgraceful carry on that the game was not televised on TV. A strongly worded letter to RTE stating this is needed and we have the perfect candidate here in Kilkenny. Otherwise it was a joke lads and lasses, lighten up. FYI I did have the game on GAA go and it was an epic. Clare followed Kilkenny tactics of the all Ireland last year of pushing up on the Limericks backs. Clare have great pace and looked very good last night

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭sportsmaddad

I agree. I've said it before, we need zero tolerance of any backchat. And not just at underage cos if they keep seeing the old carry on at adult games they'll never learn either.

As we see this weekend refs have a lot of leverage and should use it for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

"Clare followed Kilkenny tactics..."

Hang on!! Sure wasn`t Brian Cody the manager for that game? Ah maybe I haven`t woken up yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Beaten by a better team on the night. No excuses

Never questioned Codys tactics, just personnel, look at Deegan any time he has gone man to man he has been cleaned by Gillane, Hegarty, Stephen Bemnett, lee Chin etc. . Joey Holden v Callinan, went man to man and had an awful day at the office.. Compare that to Hue Lawlor last year in the All Ireland, going toe to toe with Gillane and basically eliminating him.

Clare went 15 v 15 and stopped Limerick controlling the game and possession

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Neewollah

Yes last year 2 shamrocks refs did 2 of the county quarter finals. County board not helping things by putting them in a situation like that with Shamrocks still in competition. Conflicts like that should always be avoided if possible and not the refs fault

Been a few comments to on here about overall standard of reffing in KK being poor. I have to say I think its actually pretty good compared to other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oneeyefromthebog

What an ignorant comment your basically calling them cheats and that they will do something to benefit there club in a game that has nothing to do with their club and 99% of time draw is not made until all games over.if the 10 best refs were from senior clubs all senior games would be reffed by refs from out side that 10 or 5 even pure utter nonsense from you

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Neewollah

Never once mentioned them being cheats. I mentioned they were put in an awkward situation and always going to be left open to the usual commentary by teams that lost. 2 of the best refs we have in the county IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

Level game at halftime but we were playing with the wind which I'd say is worth a couple of points. We've been poor really. Puckouts have been a mess, they've had so much space on their own puckouts to pick out players and tap over the point. Our own are either too slow or once again well too high and they allow the defence to set themselves. Cody got 3 points from play at the start of the half but has done little since. TJ hasn't done much from play. Billy Ryan has done nothing. Ref let too much go in the middle of the half, there's a lot of off the ball holding by the Galway backs.

Left that behind us in the end really which I didn't expect to say at halftime. Mossy did well when he came on and Billy Ryan improved considerably. Huw Lawlor did a good job on Whelan and bar one chance we were much tighter defensively in the 2nd half. TJ didn't do much from play, he was very immobile and the ball needs to be directly to him now as he struggles to chase after it. Mullen was fairly average also.

Ref was poor, he let far too much go and while there was a delay in injury time let far too much go once the 5 minutes were up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Cian Kenny wasn't at the races at all, cost is 3 points in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

On the referee in comer game, agree that the abuse sent to tthe referee was totally out of order, but for all games to be called off doesnt serve any purpose IMO,even camogie games were off.deal with the individual and the situation at hand .calling all games off penalised people who had nothing to do with game

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Cian Kenny did cost us 2 points in a row but we are struggling to create goals chances. With the panel we have currently Mossy seems to be our best bet at creating a goal chances. Corcoran, apart from a point in the 1st half was fairly anonymous in midfield. Much better wing back when padraig went off. Billy Ryan also better wing forward as it wasn't happening for him in the full forward line. Eoin Cody got a few good scores but still not near where he should be at. Mullen for the most part was anonymous too. He needs to be around the middle and not wing forward. TJ not as mobile but we need to be pinpoint in our deliveries to him. Aside from the chance mossy created near the end it was fogarty that had our only other goal chance. He probably didn't realise where he was and instead of strikng off his left he tried to turn to his right and lost the chance. These are the small things that change matches but at 6 points up we shouldn't have let that lead slip. In the main our half forward line are not string enough to win our fair share of high balls but we keep driving long ball on top of them. Even when Murphy played to a corner back we still landed a High ball on top of them.

Padraig poor today and I'd expect corcoran to replace him at number 7 next weekend. Bring mullen to midfield beside either fogarty or his brother.

Just to add to the above to get to croker this year we need mullen, Cody and Billy Ryan to up their game about 50% on today's performance. Not out of the question but certainly that's where they need to be at. The movement of these 3 is critical. They need to be 5 yards ahead of their player and the accuracy of deliveries to them must improve.

Eoin Cody getting man of the match today. Hopefully that might spur him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

There is one reason and one reason only we got a draw the ref gave us everything

our 2 coner backs have being found out they were destroyed only for lawlor saved them at times

Richie Reid as poor a centre back ever hurled for kilkenny

anyone thinks that Conor fogarty should be on kilkenny team has to be related to him he was absolutely terrible and for lyng to watch him for 65 min is a joke just because his buddy is a selector

how many more times do we have to listen to listen Ryan step up to the plate when it mattered today again hit it wide

mossy again showed he has not the skill for it

Where are all the Eoin Murphy critics gone the greatest goalie kilkenny ever had unfortunately he had to take the blame for Cody incompetence as a hurling trainer only for him we would definitely have lost today

at the end of the day we drew with a Galway team that hit 7 straight forward chances wide in second half alone today with a ref that gave us everything and a management team that picks there buddy’s

we saw that with young Doyle

we see it with Conor fogarty

young kenny how poor was he today and all year again a selector to look after him

one thing the great players have is speed of thought unfortunately I think we saw signs of tj slowing down hopefully wrong he made choices today that he never would

there was only one thing consistent in the 2 matches today were the refs Murphy gave us everything and Owen gave everything to cork not even a free to Waterford when they should have got a penalty and a black card early in the match

What is your problem man? How were mikey butler and Tommy Walsh destroyed today? Mossy did well when he came in. In fairness he didn't get a great supply of ball and to say richie reid is as poor a centre back that has played for kilkenny is just rubbish. We're in a situation now that we don't have the same calibre of player we had 10 years ago but who do we replace the current lads with? The lads you say are not up to it?

Give me your 1st 15 and let's see who you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I think this is the worst post I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Nothing new there 🙄 he should count the steps for the goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Eoin Murphy with another great performance today. Always amazes me the criticism he gets on here. We are lucky to have him. Between himself and quaid for the best keeper in the country.

Really? He made a great save in the second half and prevented a point in the first half which turned out to be crucial. But I thought his puckouts were poor particularly in the first half. While some of the blame lies with the lack of movement in the half forward line, he doesn't seem to be able to pick a player out even when they're in space and when he hits it long he puts too much height on it. Possession of the sliotar from puckouts is becoming a more important part of the game than ever and he isn't helping us in this regard. He's also really slow with taking his puckouts but I don't know whether that's tactical or not.

I suppose the way to look at it this.

If Murphy picks out any of our 6 backs can they comfortably carry the ball out, draw players to them and execute a clinical pass into space in front of any of our front 6? That's where our training needs to be aimed at. On balance our long deliveries don't work so we have to condition players to work the right plays. Midfielders are key to supporting the front 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

On Eoin Murphy, one of the best shot stoppers out there, comfortable on the ball when he goes into contact, and can put snow on it for a long puck out. But when it comes to medium to long range precision puck outs, this is where it starts to unwind a bit. If you compare them to Eanna Murphys long puck outs today, they were much lower and many straight to hand (not suggesting that everything went perfect for them either). I could see Eoin getting frustrated today also, when there was no movement in the half forward line he either went short (which for the most part, we look uncomfortable with and is not the fault of Scruff), or just let fly anyway, which left us with at best a 50:50 chance of winning that ball.

The goal was killer, came out of nothing and Concannon took at least 8 steps with the ball, no one around him, no attempt to bounce or play the ball on the hurl. Looked great, but was a free out.

1st half was poor from us and we were lucky to be level at half time. Big improvement in the 2nd half, especially the forwards, Billy Ryan came into it and Mossy tried hard, shame his goal effort went wide. The 6 point lead slipped easily though.

TJ looked like he was stuck in the mud at times, few occasions where you'd expect that burst from him, but it looks like that might be gone.....hopefully not.

And as for forchange, you might think you sound like you're telling it like it is, being devil's advocate, but you just sound bitter.

Watch the last score, Richie Reid should have done better for the equalizer IMO. The young lad outmuscled him in the contact . Richie has years on him and much bigger and bullied him off the ball.

Sound bitter what a load of rubbish your going on there mossy unlucky it went wide it was never going anywhere else

Eoin puck outs every bit as good as any other goalie

The difference is I deal in reality I said before anything started

padraig

Buckley

fogarty

Deegan

hogan

Walter

mossy

Ryan

either gone past it or not good enough nothing has changed to make me change my mind

when people can’t see that Brian Cody brought kilkenny hurling skill leval to a all time low trained Eoin Murphy to hit it long

he was superb today in everything he done I take it you all feel stupid you all trying to get rid of him

it’s amazing not one thing I say can be argued with facts I always put my case forward with facts not one person could argue the facts of the last 7 years of Cody management

as you say mossy tried hard that’s a given for kilkenny hurling you can try as hard as you want at this level you have to have the skill to go with it

even the commentators talked about kilkenny getting everything today Galway got one free in first half

one thing about being stuck in muck but when your thought process and your vision slow that’s a different thing and unfortunately at times TJ vision was poor for him today

It probably is because it’s true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

We were very slow with their last puckout.5 points up and a few minutes to go it was a dissapointing result.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭hurlaway

Galway got advantages that they scored ,you don't get the free aswell it a pretty simple concept

• Advertisement

If you think mossy good to day your standard is very low

mikey butler in my option its the 3 time he destroyed this year as for Tommy Walsh he very poor again

Richie Reid did not win one ball at centre back hit a few loose balls here are there

we are in our own back yard and only for ref we were bet not my words but commentary

and anyone that thinks con fogarty should be on the kilkenny team sorry he knows nothing about hurling he is only ther because he is best buddy with a selector

Advertisement