Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think we'll finish 5th this season. Next season depends on a lot of different factors. For ourselves we need to have a good summer transfer window and resolve our midfield issues, fixing midfield fixes a lot of our issues from this season. Of course missing out on CL football makes our summer transfer business more difficult; reduces revenue plus harder to attract the players we need.

City are pretty much guaranteed to make the top 4 next season, so that leaves 3 places up for grabs. Arsenal, United and Newcastle will all strengthen again in the summer and with CL football will be able to attract most players they want. United and Newcastle in particular will spend big in a bid to retain a top 4 spot, plus both have decent managers now, so are likely to be stronger next season. I think Arsenal may suffer a hangover next season if they miss out on the title this season which is looking very likely, so may struggle to retain a top 4 spot. Spurs are a mess so don't see them in the mix, likely to be somewhere between 6-8. Chelsea is more difficult to determine, they have a huge squad that needs trimming and a new manager, the raw materials and finance are there to get top 4 but, the club doesn't look right, very dysfunctional, if they click could be a major contender for top 4, but, they could easily implode too.

Right now I'd say we are very capable of getting top 4 next season, but very dependent on our transfer business. Obviously performances also needs to improve throughout the whole team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That sort of outlook is not really acceptable when it's kids you're dealing with though.

This story sounds particularly machiavellian (which makes me question the details a bit), but even with respect to more normal situations I'm sure lots of kids simply haven't gotten the support they need from a social point of view, even beyond the footballing aspect. It's a really vulnerable situation, for really vulnerable people, and clubs have a major duty of care to make them feel safe and comfortable regardless of how they see the kids talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, there's a lot of variables about how next season will go that are totally beyond the club's control. So rather than picking a position, my hope/expectation would be to get back to the 2ppg range. If we get - or exceed - that, then I'd be happy enough with whatever that gets us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The only good news about the Europa League is that the final is in Dublin

Post edited by antimatterx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

As with Bobby, it'll be very sad to see him go but the time is probably right (or slightly past right). Best of luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Losing Milner now is a bit of a shame IMO. We should be trying to keep him. That locker room presence is pretty invaluable.

He's a brilliant addition to have in the squad, but only I'm terms of limited playing time. The cup games and cameos like Forrest last weekend where he came on and settled down the midfield and basically won us the game.

It's when he has to start away to Chelsea on a Sunday and then start again midweek in Europe or a league game game again, where the midfield gets overrun. That's the issue and it's when people start to hate on Milner. In reality it's not his fault he has to start successive high energy games.

There's talk of Hendo moving into that 'Milner role' but the Milner at 33 was still starting regularly. As long as Hendo doesn't have to start 6 games in a row, he's fine. 1.5 games a week and he can still have the high energy.

Again, we just need more options in there who are available more often.

Brighton will probably give him a few games but they are gaining a coach too. Very smart.

Then on the other hand, if Liverpool are not offering him a contract, they surely have big plans for a midfield overhaul this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeah, totally one-sided account,why would Liverpool want to devalue an asset, telling them to pay him for eighteen months so he could sign for someone else, probably getting a signing on fee etc sounds like he was getting bad advice,if he really wanted to go elsewhere, really just wanted to play,surely they could agree to terminate fullstop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep, agree with every word of that. The only issue is that I think his presence reduces the chance of us signing an extra player. No fault of his own at all, but inadvertently I think he does stand in someone's way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dont get why he'd go to brighton, is it just to rack up more games? Always thought hed go back to Leeds if liverpool didnt keep him on as a player/coach, but chances are they wont be in the PL next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think that Milner could be getting moved on to force the issue of addressing the midfield personnel this summer. There has been plenty of reports about Klopp wanting to retain him for another season, but given his age that's well beyond FSG's philosophy. If Milner is talking to Brighton then either the offer of an extension from Liverpool is not forthcoming or he's checking out his options before deciding.

Milner is a wise head and a steadying influence but at some point younger players will have to be given an opportunity. In the past few seasons that hasn't happened when Klopp has been able to fallback on the old reliable player that is James Milner.

Being linked with 20 year old midfield players doesn't fill me with confidence for next season, but I would take the 20 year old as an alternative option in the squad over a 38 year old veteran like Milner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just watched the Brighton game and I don't see how 38 year old Milner gets into their team either? An odd move.

You know, if your theory is true, I would be very happy. Mike Gordon or the new sporting director, or FSG whoever essentially forcing Klopp's hand in the midfield reshuffle. Forcing him into rejuvenation by releasing Milner. As you said, we all know how happy Klopp is to keep Milner. I love Klopp to bits but I'm not a fan of him being the most vocal person when it comes to recruitment.

And to tie in with your other point, I would be happy if Milner stays on, but only if he stays on after those midfield signings are in. Bring in those lads in their 20s early and then decide if we can offer Milner enough game time after that. Not have Milner here early and then not taking a chance on (for example) Alex Scott for £5m because he won't get opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Some amount of nonsense in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Yeah, seems him wanting to leave but wanted to be paid the 18 months remaining on his contract obviously didn't suit the club. Fairly strange request imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Dispute the pennies, squander the millions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly certain Klopp hasn't been sitting on a war chest of money and refusing to spent it because he loves Milner so much. As is normally the case, I'm sure there will be a budget and it will be up yo Klopp etc to determine how that budget is used. The question then becomes, what % of that budget is worth using on a 5th/6th choice midfielder to replace Milner?

I'd be fairly reluctant to let Milner go because of that.

I wouldn't mind Milner staying, we all know what he brings to the squad, ultimate professional, great example to the younger lads, a real leader and can fill in, in multiple roles on a short term basis, also great for coming on in later stages to close out games. The only problem with Milner is when we begin relying on him too much, starting 2/3 games a week, but that's not really Milner's fault, that's a direct result of poor squad management, holding on to multiple players who are very injury prone, that's our single biggest issue that needs to be resolved, get rid of all the sicknotes and we'll see a huge improvement in our form, as we'll have much better squad rotation so that all players get adequate rest and less likely to pick up injuries due to fatigue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You're right about the sick notes, Wijnaldum was a machine that way and still not replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Yes you'd wonder what other top clubs would have persisted with the likes of Keita and Ox for example. The problem isn't even necessarily that they are injury prone but it's the amount of them at the club injured at the same time.

I know financially we can't just ditch players like City/United but it felt like a mistake keeping sick note players on the books this long particularly with an aging squad. This all seemed to snowball into an injury crisis at the club similar to 20/21 but worse.

Huge game today if we are to get 5th I think 4th is beyond us no matter what we do at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

United have kept Jones around for 11 or 12 years now and he's permanently injured. I'd be surprised if he's managed 200 games for them in that time.

But, United have bought and sold a hundred CBs ( exaggerating) in that time, so Jones wasn't really missed. We haven't really invested in midfield over the last few seasons, so those sicknotes have a much bigger impact on us than the likes of United who just go out and buy replacements. Player availability has been a huge contributing factor in this seasons poor performances.

I dunno, I think otherwise.

I think that there has been a big shift in the recruitment of the 2016-2019 era to the 2020-2022 era.

2016-2019 the club took chances on players ready to make a big step up or about to explode. Robbo, Matip, Gini, Salah etc all raised eyebrows. They were ready to grow, while having time to acclimatize. Many doubted that they would be starters for the club at the time as they were deemed to be squad players or back ups given their low fees or who was already at the club. A lot of unproven players were signed.

2020-2022 are players that are coming in that had to be better than what was already in the squad. Thiago was signed as a starter. Jota was signed as he was the best 4th choice forward. Diaz was signed as he was a better option at LW than Mane, instantly, and this then moved Mane to CF and eventually out of the club. the signings of this era had to be better then what was already present.

Tchoumanei was targeted as he was going to be better option in midfield than Milner and maybe Hendo and Fabinho too. When he became unavailable later on, the club had a choice. They could sign one of the unproven players. But (according to some trusted people) the coaching staff chose to sign on Milner for another year rather than buy Enzo Fernandez direct from River Plate. There was another midfielder thought of at the same time. I think it was Bounanotte who is now at Brighton but my memory is a bit hazy this baby holiday Sunday! The scouts had recommended these players. Basically the decision came down to Milner or project player and Milner won.

Of course, there is a risk with project players but to be fair to the scouting team, they have been near faultless for the last 8 or 9 years so I would give them the benefit of doubt.

That's not really the same thing, Man Utd have probably signed another 8-10 players for the same position in that time. That has not been the case at Liverpool.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has started 46 league games for Liverpool in 6 seasons. Keita has started 49 league games in 5 seasons. In contrast, Thiago has started 51 league games in 3 seasons and he is considered to be injury prone. The only midfield player brought in since those signings was Arthur Melo and he has managed to sit on the bench a handful of times.

The unavailability of midfield options is part of the reason why the likes of Henderson has repeatedly put his body on the line making himself available to play when he wasn't fit and his performance level suffered. It's also why there are concerns about James Milner leaving in the summer, because he's almost never injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Southampton beating Newcastle.

Romeo Lavia a big part in that goal, winning the ball back in midfield.

• Advertisement

Lavia and Livramento are both on my wish list for players to sign if their club is relegated.

Ox and Keita have been unavailable for over 80 games each since joining Liverpool, that's games out because of injuries only. About half of Ox's time out was due to the serious knee injury in his first season with us, he hasn't been the same player since and even when fit, Klopp rarely picks him. He was fit for most of last season, but rarely featured once Salah and Mane returned from Afcon. Keita has been out multiple times since joining, he has been unavailable most of this season (it's questionable if he was really injured this season or just excluded due to poor attitude). Both should have been let go, probably the summer before last and certainly last summer at the latest.

Added to that Thaigo has been unavailable for 60 matches since signing, so effectively misses more than 1 game in 3. We could probably carry one of them and get away with it, but carrying all three was utter madness. Then to compound things we sign Arthur on loan 🤦🏼‍♀️, absolute madness. If we just replace Ox and Keita with 2 solid midfielders this summer, it instantly improves us. Also the suggestion that we didn't sign a midfielder last summer because Milner re- signed doesn't add up, because we went out and signed Arthur on loan.

I'm in the same boat with Lavia. He has impressed me lately.

Nice shout on Livramento. He's largely been forgotten about this year because of his big injury. I see that there is noises coming out of the club that Klopp wants to see Conor Bradley have a big involvement in pre season, after he won player of the year at Bolton. Would we be too stocked at back up RB with Bradley, Ramsey & Livramento or would one of Bradley & Ramsey move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Luis Diaz starts today. Konate too

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Elliott in for Hendo as well

Alisson

Trent Konate VVD Robbo

Elliott Fabinho Jones

Salah Gakpo Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Be interesting to see if we still persist with Trent playing central today with Elliott in for Hendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Thiago injured again btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What's up with Thiago?

I just don't understand Elliot sometimes, won't accelerate on, cuts back inside and loses the ball.

Wow, that's what we've been missing all season. Score first and early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m guessing that’s the first Liverpool goal assisted and scored by a Scouser for quite some time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goallllll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That was not an easy finish. Good man Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

We can go one better, let's get 5 in 20 minutes instead of 21!

Though realistically I'd settle for a stress free win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Go for a record of 10 lol

Jaysus what a shame Southampton couldn't get a result earlier but this is lovely stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Went out to the garden for a few minutes came back in to see this scoreline,I must head back out again.

Spurs are a mess. Absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m trying to not get my hopes up about Jones solving some of our midfield problems (again) but he really isn’t doing much wrong these days.

Even if he did manage to maintain this form all through next season, we still need two high quality midfield signings in the summer.

Not gonna lie, I was fairly deflated after the Newcastle comeback and Villa not getting a point, then add in having to listen to Tyler & Neville.

Whatever about the first goal and being 2-0 up so early, but seeing Diaz have that moment after scoring, after his horrible injury, has cheered me right up!

Home grown so he won't be going anywhere anyways. He has shown he can play, but can he do it consistently?

• Advertisement

I know we say it every season, but I wish we could play Spurs every week. Peno!

Advertisement