Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What is "right sized"? If a farmer has 200 acres in tillage, should he only have 100? WHat then if another farmer has the other 100. Is that a right size or what? Explain please. The opposite is actually happening. Even with subsidies to ensure food is produced to high quality, in quantity and cheap, lots of small farmers are leaving. 1 in 16 farmers are under 35.

How many farms do we need? Subsidies wouldn't be needed if the price paid for the produce was enough to ensure all along the chain made a profit. If farmers got paid more for what they supply a lot would cut back naturally. Same money and less work. Winning. The global population is growing. Farming too will have to expand to feed them.

It may feel to you farmers are owed a living. You're feelings are wrong I'd say. Farmers are out in all weather in all seasons every day working for a living. Same can't be said for many of the population.

Farming is not a disastrous climate impact. Farming has been done for millenium. Farming practices can and will change to reduce it's impact but there is no zero impact to the climate for food production. No other industry apart from agriculture actually sequesters carbon, yet there is no credit given to ag for that. Yet ya can "offset" carbon by paying extra on flights for example.

We do. Our beef and dairy are among the top in the world for sustainability (thank you rainy weather and lushes grass)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I would think the number of farms will reduce, rather than splitting 200 acres across 2 farms. The latter is not a net reduction in production, its just spreading the problem.

So maybe 2 farms managing 200 acres become 1 farm managing 200 or even 150 acres.

Farmers would get paid more if we produced less. oversupply of product makes it cheap.

And obviously we import a lot of the same product that we produce in ireland, so there is massive access to oversupply.

We all know we can easily buy cheap beef imported from South America etc.

Reducing output will increase prices for farmers. Win Win.

Farmers get a viable price for their product and so to the other stakeholders in the supply chain.

Less subsidies for the tax payer also.

I agree with you on the carbon offsetting.

It isnt right that anyone offsets emissions and generally it just shifts the problem elsewhere and of course it does nothing to actually encourage reduction in emission output - same too for Agri offsets.

What do you do with the other 200 acres?

How/why would farmers get paid more for producing less? Our horticulture industry is in ribbons. We're producing less now but those remaining aren't being paid more to offset. Why would our beef processors pay more if they can buy it cheaper from South America? Note also the rules and regulations around Irish/EU food production are exponentially higher than South America

Farmers, do not get a viable price. Subsidies barely make it viable in a lot of the different sub sectors of ag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Should we dish out population growth targets? Nothing adds to global emissions like population growth, and particularly people in emerging economies who want to experience some of what we take for granted, an airline flight and a holiday perhaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We are the biggest fools around.

We are suffering to help reduce greenhouse gases even though any actions we take won't make a jot of difference because we are so small. It's estimated that we produce as little as 0.1% of global emissions. We are good little eejits and are expected to cut it's cattle herd numbers while at the same time, Brazil is increasing it's own national cattle herd numbers by 24,000,000 by 2030.

We can't cut peat from our bogs yet we can buy peat imported from German or Latvian bogs. Where's the sense in it at all?

Sorry, I'm not a science denier and I realise that global warming is a real thing but why are we taking the pain when other polluters, much much worse than us continue to polute on a scale many multiples of what we emit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

Careful now you'll give yourself whiplash with that change in direction

So in countries with poorer climates than ours you're now advocating to boost production, to even more and faster damage the planet, truly awesome idea

And what do they do when something like a prolonged drought occurs ? We say sorry your dieing from starvation but hey your emissions are down, ffs what a truly evil thing to allow anywhere near the table

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

And where are those 24 million cattle going to graze? - Yep, you guessed it: They'll burn down rainforest to plant grass seeds, so a double whammy for the environment. The greens really are geniuses.

If the global markets moved to attributing the Carbon to the end-use countries rather than where its produced, we'd be screwed. Burning/wasting wood, reducing rainforest coverage, less efficient beef production, long distance transport, extra chilling requirements etc etc. Let's see what happens when the Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Baasterd

Because Because if everyone thought like that we would be fooked...wait what China, India and most of the emerging markets think like that...ok OP you have a point, get yerself down the bog.

The only answer to your question is one you know already politics, a group of people have found that pushing emotive issues can provide them with what they want in life. It's really that simple I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're not seeing the bigger picture.

Yes we take a punishment for ending turf cutting and peat extraction but, to name but two examples, Germany and Poland are ending nuclear and closing coal mines so their punishments come in sharply raised energy costs and heavy local economic damage, just like the north of England in the 80's.

It doesn't matter that Ireland is small. I've said it before and I'll say it again, unless the pain is shared proportionately, whether you're a Country of 1 million or 1 billion, the paradigm breaks down and any sort of global effort to address this stuff ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Your posts amounts to "what about". Who cares about other countries? We should worry solely about our own first.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

More lunacy:

Nice big smoke-belching ship in Foynes offloading wood chips from Brazil to burn in Edenderry because they're not allowed burn peat there anymore. How many trucks did it take thereafter to move the tonnage up the M7 then off the back roads from Monasterevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

I realise that global warming is a real thing but why are we taking the pain when other polluters, much much worse than us continue to polute on a scale many multiples of what we emit.

Because Eamon Ryan believes that a tiny country like us -- who half the world hasn't heard of -- will lead by our good example and everybody else will be awestruck and follow the lead of plucky little Ireland. Yes, he genuinely is that deluded (along with a number of posters on this thread who have said the same thing). Eamon also believes it's ok for him to take delegations to the other side of the planet by plane so that he can "talk to other world leaders" (his exact words). We are being sold down the Swanee by a second rate bicycle salesman with delusions of grandeur and utter contempt for the people who will be affected both at home and abroad. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the Greens are not just incompetent, they are evil.

I would think the number of farms will reduce, rather than splitting 200 acres across 2 farms. The latter is not a net reduction in production, its just spreading the problem.

The number of farms are already reducing and this trend has been set in for decades

So maybe 2 farms managing 200 acres become 1 farm managing 200 or even 150 acres.

What difference does this make really? Apart from having two farmers with expertise, we now have just one.

Farmers would get paid more if we produced less. oversupply of product makes it cheap.

Erm, no. Nobody, in the private sector, anywhere, ever, in the history of the world, has ever been paid more for less productivity. You're clearly mixing things up with the public sector. Unless you're talking of induced shortage - we can see how fantastic that is working at present in relation to our housing market amongst other things.

And obviously we import a lot of the same product that we produce in ireland, so there is massive access to oversupply.

If we've to import food we can produce here then we've to ask serious questions of ourselves - why is it cheaper to import potatoes from a farmer in Cyprus than from a farmer in Wexford, even after shipping costs? Perhaps our excessive tax take, in particular stealth taxes, that contribute to this scenario? Our favourable climate offers us a unique opportunity to produce food, but somehow we can remain competitive even within our own market!

We all know we can easily buy cheap beef imported from South America etc.

Great, lets put our beef farmers on the dole and pay the Brazilians to slash and burn the Amazon to meet our beef demands. Are you on a wind up?

Reducing output will increase prices for farmers. Win Win.

Farmers get a viable price for their product and so to the other stakeholders in the supply chain.

Less subsidies for the tax payer also.

Hey Tesco, this is Farmer BlueSkyDreams here, I know last year I sent in 100,000 litres of milk to yea and you guys paid me €35,000 for it. This year though, my green conscience is strong and I'm only going to send in 50,000 litres of milk, okay?

Tesco - grand, no problem, Farmer GreenSkyDreams will supply us the 50,000 litres shortfall.

BSD: I'm still getting €35,000 in the bank though for the 50k litres, right?

Tesco - Ah, no, you'll be lucky to get €17,500. Bye now.

I agree with you on the carbon offsetting.

It isnt right that anyone offsets emissions and generally it just shifts the problem elsewhere and of course it does nothing to actually encourage reduction in emission output - same too for Agri offsets.

The catholic church do this kind of thing, commit the sin but offset it by a confession afterwards in the dark box in the chapel.

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree, definitely more than half the world have heard of Ireland

Although the poulaphuca hydro scheme was a scam to fool the farmers of west Wicklow to give up their land for very little compensation to supply Dublin with water

its not about increased productivity, its about over supply.

Thats my point.

Youve all the beef produced in Ireland, plus all the beef produced in other countries. Remember, we mave more cattle than people in ireland!

The sheer volume of beef being produced keeps the price down, because its a plentiful commodity and it obviously creates a lot of emissions in the process, not to mention all the transportation emmisions.

If there was less beef produced, the price would rise, and yes, Tesco would be paying more for it and the farmers would get more for their product.

But that aint going to happen until we cut the oversupply!

The problem is at the moment that every man and his dog is producing beef, which is why the price is low.

Simple Supply and Demand.

It seems you want a situation where farmers in ireland over produce a product, a product which is also being over produced by other countries, but you still expect consumers to pay top dollar for it and you dont see any need to reduce production from an environmental perspective.

its not sustainable and thats why we need to continue to reduce the number of farms in operation and overhaul those that remain so that they produce lower product volumes, more sustainably.

Who said they would be producing food in devloping countries in an unenvironmentally friendly way?

Answer: Nobody.

You are yelling at clouds if you think ireland isnt going to be forced to drastically reduce its beef production and you still seem to have no issue with the over production and transportation emissions created in the process.

Thats on you, advocating for destroying the planet. Nobody else.

My argument is to help make all countries self sustainable, as much as possible, and reduce global transportation of food to a more sustainable level.

If you dont agree thats a good thing, well of course you are entitled to your own opinion.

But dont demonise people for promoting emvironmentally friendly policies, when it sounds lile what you are suggesting is to keep on doing what we are doing.

Its your approach that is causing the damage to the planet.

But that is going to change, whether you get onboard with emission reduction or not. It will be forced on you. Get used to it.

• Advertisement

I think we are half doing that already by making the cost of living so expensive.

less people in western developed nations are having kids and family units are smaller than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Germany's nuclear shutdown has extended their use of coal. and actually increased the use of lignite which emits more CO2, and more air pollutants.

So, not sure if they are the best example?

OMG - Is this the level of economic literacy the greens are pushing? What happens when prices of beef rise is that people cannot afford to purchase it and this damages confidence in the industry - but part of me thinks this is exactly what greens want, to destroy markets they deem irrelevant.

With the cost of living increases we have already seen since mid-2021 there has been a big increase in poverty. Why? Increased costs of energy and this hits hardest at the food production stage. For the people affected, they have much less spending power and this hurts local businesses like restaurants etc... the most.

You want to compound the crisis further by removing ~50,000 of the ~100,000 farms that keep livestock. What are those ~50,000 farmers going to do? What happens their lands, their livestock, their lives, what they produce?

The greens are buffoons who never consider the implications of what they advocate.

Yes, the number of farms need to reduce.

Unless there is a way to hit the emission targets without reducing the number of farms?

Realistically, that would really be the only scenario where there could be a conversation about farms remaining at their current scale.

But if, as is highly probable, the number of farms has to reduce to enable the climate targets, farmers should of course be supported into other roles.

Nobody is trying to make people redundant for the sake of it.

All industries fluctuate. There is no one job that is forever protected from external forces.

Why would farming be any different.

It isnt as though farming is the only employment option for rural folks anymore.

As you know, plenty of people WFH in all sorts of roles and I am sure that trend will continue.

Nobody wants to see rural communities suffer, but there is a requirement, for all of us, to change how we work. Not just for farmers.

Is it not fair enough that we all adapt and play our part?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's a batshït crazy idea and here's why. First, we aren't destroying the planet. The planet will be just fine regardless of what humans do. On a planetary timescale, even nuclear Armageddon would be brushed off like it wasn't even a thing.

Second, what you are actually advocating for is the creation of hundreds of little fiefdoms around the world. Trade keep to a bare minimum, natural resource hording, and everything else that goes with it. We tried that as a species before and it wasn't very good. A more interconnected planet leads to a more peaceful planet, like we have now.

Third, "sustainable" what does that actually mean? It's a buzzword, nothing more, nothing less. To green acolytes it means reducing human population and stardards of living. Perversely, this is the exact opposite to what we should be doing. All the major international bodies have carried out countless studies and shown that increasing the standard of living actually reduces pollution and overpopulation in those countries.

I honestly wish folks like yourself would take a step back and actually examine the consequences of your proposed actions beyond "sustainability" and the planet will die if we don't act now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

What would a reduction in the number of farms achieve ?

A reduced number of larger farms will still most likely be farming the same actual area.

To me this is an accounting issue ,nothing more.Had a Bord Bia audit recently and once your figures fitted into their model you were hunky dory.Not that it really mattered but anyways.

I agree that industries change over time but lets actually live in reality for the moment.Food production is the one absolute that we cannot survive without.Thats been true from day 1 and its unlikely to change unless the Green party and followers can produce a model where press releases and waffle are enough to sustain a body.

Reading through this thread its real pie in the sky stuff.

Yes, the number of farms need to reduce.

How do you reduce the number of farms? Are you suggesting that farmers just stop farming? Leave the land idle? Come on now. Is that what you are suggesting?

Why has everyone got it in for Eamonn Ryan and are giving Fianna Fail and Fine Gael a free ride?

By all means ER deserves everything he gets but the crosshairs should be pointed at FF and FG even more so because they are the bigger parties in Government and are every bit as much to blame than the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not being smart Battle but there's an entire thread dedicated to that useless shower in FFG.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,057 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you like the "populism" of this Government, you're gonna love SF.

Also I'm not sure you understand the word populism.

Advertisement