Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General CA trolls - it's embarrassing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

But if posts are being actioned, then what's the issue?

Though in literally the next post to yours (which I know isn't your post, to be clear), Flinty997 refers to things going unchecked.

I think also it's worth noting that just because a poster reports a post doesn't mean it has to be actioned. The mods might disagree that it's actionable. And then we come back to the prevalence in this thread to dismiss views opposite your own as phobic, or somehow hateful. That's part of the problem like.

Actually I went to some trouble to reply to you and to explain what I believe constitutes transphobia in an earlier post. So saying "I can't" is a lie. I did.

Beasty has said he doesn't read every post, and only acts on reports. So you're also wrong there.

You seem to believe you can make demands of me and that if I don't meet your demands that it's because "I can't".

I posted earlier about giving some posters oxygen. Some I will, some I won't. Guess which group you're falling under.

Given your aggressiveness towards me, and I have been nothing but polite to you on this thread, I am now putting you on ignore.

Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jaysus lads it's a Bank Holiday weekend, it's sunny and warm. Calm down, put the phone away and go get an ice cream.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If there's mostly no response from reporting, people will not bother reporting things. Then the mods say not many people get reported.

Easiest solution is to put people on ignore and avoid the forum. Be great if you could put select the forums you don't want to see.

I assume this means you'll get the same few people dominating some forums and less users overall.

Unless of course it doesn't and the numbers are fine, in which case change nothing.

So we should just leave. Message received loud and clear.

• Advertisement

All Eyes On Rafah

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How often have you reported posts in CA and how often were your reports not actioned?

I get the feeling your gasping for an Ice Cream. So I'm curious why don't you go do it instead of stressing about me. ;)

Yeah, i went and got one.

Think I jinxed it, started raining

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So there's apparently zero evidence of the claims on here by several individuals because the posts get deleted when people are banned......

Except the same people are claiming the majority of the threads ,posts and posters are variophobic and the Mod Team are ignoring all of it ,

But if it's all of the above and mods are ignoring the tens of thousands of posts per day/week then the evidence is there because mods haven't actioned the posts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well Sod you anyway - I got the dog as far as the front door before it started lashing

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but if I may respond anyway, how can anyone know how often their reports are or are not actioned, when posters are not kept informed of the outcome of their reports?

This is not meant as a criticism of the volunteers who are doing the moderating. But you've said it yourself @Beasty, that more often than not you act on reports in the background, but you don't say anything about it on thread because you have so many to deal with that you don't have time for that - which is fair enough. Though it does suggest there are more than enough reports being made to keep you busy. ;)

But the downside of that is it can appear to those who do report, that their reports are disappearing into an abyss, as they are left not knowing if their report was even seen, or if it was worth the effort of making the report. I don't know what the solution to is here. The old yellow card / red card used to be a good visual indicator at least, on the old forum, that reports were being seen and acted on in the background. It's a shame that feature no longer exists.

I have to add that there is a bit of a "tell tale tattle" attitude coming across towards posters who make reports, even though it has been confirmed that reporting is encouraged and the mod team rely on reports. It really comes across as like being back in a school playground, where the class bully tries to stop the other kids from telling the teacher on them.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭archfi

Are you saying you don't bother staying on threads you're reading/participating in once you've hit the report button?

Because you can see if a post you've reported on a thread you are reading/participating in is gone or if there's a mod note/snippage and get some satisfaction from that. If it's still there, well then your report effort wasn't seen as worth pursuing.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

At this point it's a case of shooting messenger then complaining theres no messengers. While showing you the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

At this point its a case of inventing a problem and then when nobody else agrees using it as the basis for a persecution complex.

The lack of feedback (and features) means it's impossible to see any of this.

You're suggesting the lack of visible activity means been dealt with. From experience I just assume it hasn't worked for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭archfi

No, I'm saying if a 'reporter' doesn't stop participating/reading a thread they will see the outcome of their reporting eventually (the reported post remains or doesn't/has a note on it/snipped)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I guess if there's one person complaining you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm not sure if that's necessary a given, it was on the old system. A post could receive points and not be deleted \ have note added - the mods have to do that manually as a separate step.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No, I'm not saying that, and no, I don't go back to check if posts I have reported have been removed, especially if its a fast moving thread. I don't have time for that.

And as far as I know, not all reported posts that are actioned, are removed. I think Beasty said earlier, sometimes a nil point warning is given to someone to tone it down, first, and often its enough.

Sometimes there are mod notes or directions on thread, but I don't automatically assume that is as a result of a report I made. I was of the impression that there needs to be more than one report(er) for that to happen.

• Advertisement

Hasn't been my experience for a very long time.

Hence these days it's easier to fix the problem yourself by using ignore (when it works) and/or unsubscribing (partially because ignore doesn't always work).

Tbh problem threads will keep popping up on the recent threads so you can check back in see if there's been moderation. Or see if certain people are still posting away.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I spend my time on this site dealing with reports, re-regs, site issues, threads like this and indeed discussing mod actions with posters

I am not going to engage with people simply because they have reported something. That is not on my priority list and I already spend too much time on here

We have new mods in CA. They get involved along with myself and ToS. They may not be particularly visible, but again if we are deleting posts you are not seeing what action is taken (which is only for discussion between mod and user). I have set out many times in these threads that we do not seek to engage with reporters. We do not have time for that and we do not discuss actions taken against other users except with the user

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

What's the point of a discussion site where differing opinions aren't allowed?

Exactly.

Many of these are the same people that would be throwing around the 'diversity' buzzword when it suits them.

The only kind of 'diversity' they actually want is of people who either agree completely with their own view or stay quiet and do not express any view.

A site like this should be open to genuine diversity of views.

The job of a moderator should be to ensure that discussion is kept civil and moderate while allowing people to express their legitimately held views. Not to censor views, or to pander to a vocal minority who have yet to grow up enough to realise that not everyone has or will ever have the same view as them. 

It is a failed site when diversity of views is not allowed so that discussion -- on some very important issues in Irish society -- cannot be had.

Seems very different and unclear vs the old forum. The watershed (in my opinion) seemed to be with the new version of the forum and the loss of the previous moderation tools/functionality. Lack of resources also.

Anyway what I'm hearing here is there isn't a problem with CA or anything on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly. You just know by the thread headline who will be posting there. Sometimes I go in for a look and retreat apalled 👀

Life is too short, and sadly for Boards the more dog whistling threads and posters the less middle of the road people will be involved .

Full time job for the few mods left after the changeover, and the trolls know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I voted for Casey in that and also in real life. Was happy to vote for Higgins first time around, but he said only one term and I don't like or vote for liars.

Trans issues and racism seem to be obsessions of some here. As far as I can judge, most here and in the real world aren't that bothered about trans things. So when it's shoved in their face, they tend to resent it a bit. Very easy to overdo these things and get peoples backs up.

As for racism, again I'm not so sure. This is Ireland, we are Irish and Irish values and culture are important to us. Again I find most people are tolerant but not wholly accepting either that we need wholesale cultural change of our way of life.

So push back on issues like these is to be expected. Some people though don't seem to be able to filter those with reservations from those who are promoting hatred or violence. They have a 'if you're not with us, you're agin us' mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The absence of any feedback on reports means that we don't know if reported posts were ignored, or reviewed and deemed to be acceptable. Some kind of feedback loop would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My point wasn't anything about the strengths of Casey or Higgins. My point was that support for the far-right candidate Casey was doubled on Boards compared to real life. This supports the views expressed here that Boards users generally lean further to the right than the general population.

• Advertisement

There is no free speech.

I think these days boards goes far beyond that. Imo some of the forums now mostly only allow one opinion, by giving it far more leeway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement