Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

All industries fluctuate. There is no one job that is forever protected from external forces.

Why would farming be any different.

WOW!

Sure, once the industry is destroyed the farmers can just switch over learn to code. They can then code up vegetables for the rest of us left to eat - of course these computers used for coding will be made from recycled materials and all powered by a wind turbine. Genius greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

You did

It's very easy, the right crop in the right place,

that means grass / barley / oats type crops for Ireland and in the desert or drought stricken Africa or Southern Europe ?

What do they grow ? Irrigation and desalination is unsustainable under green policy, no water means no food, what do they do then, oh yeah Starvation it is

I already explained there is no over production there is only a single handful of grain spare per person on the planet and that spare grain is there to protect from future failed crops, I'll refer you to a thing called the potato famine that happened in Ireland

You are absolutely not promoting environmentally friendly policies, you're promoting degrading the environment in places that do not now sustain food production because they cannot environmentally or economically

"It will be forced on you" rapist words, absolutely shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What do farms do currently when they stop operating?

So you are saying farmers should remain inflexible, never consider another career and just keep on over producing?

The world doesnt owe farmers a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You didn't answer my question.

I don't know exactly what happens when farms stop operating because they typically don't stop operating. If a farmer doesn't farm the land it will grow wild. That doesn't tend to happen though. It might happen on a very small scale for a short while, i.e. an old farmer with a small farm stops farming and the land isn't used much til they die and the farm is either set or sold. A farmer who can't farm any more tends to sell the land or set it so that someone else will farm the land.

So, I've tried to answer your question. Now have a go at answering my question. Are you suggesting that farmers stop farming and leave the land idle?

• Advertisement

we will all be forced to reduce emissions. you seem to have a very 'woe is me" artitude to farmers.

everyone else has to make changes and to be fair, the agri targets have been softened and the slack taken by other industries.

So the targets could have been a lot worse for farming.

What do you think should happen? Should we just keep on doing what we are doinf as far as farming is concerned in ireland?

Sell it would be the obvious answer. Or at least sell part of the land.

Plenty of land needed for housing rezoning, as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Selling it won't do anything for oversupply nor will it make the country 'greener'. Someone else will just farm it and possibly farm it more intensively.

Farmland, unless it is on the very edge of a large town isn't suitable for housing. Isn't it greener to contain development to towns/cities where there are services such as public transport etc?

There are still plenty of farms within the fringes of towns though. It isnt as though they are all in highly remote areas.

In terms of a farmer selling the farm to another farmer, i guess the question there is, would it be a wise investment, considering the restrictions on production?

One thing that isnt clear is how the emissions targets will be enforced.

so if a farmer ignores the call to cut the herd etc and/or demonstrate reduction in emissions, what is the consequence?

I am not sure how the Govt will handle that to be honest.

Not just for farming, but for all industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭prunudo

So the answer to reduce our emissions is to bulldoze perfectly good farmland, land which contains a natural organic product and which also is absorbs carbon. And to cover it in concrete and man made products which contribute to our emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

A few farmers might be able to diverify into things like holiday guesthouses and/or clay pigeon shooting grounds but only so many (maybe 5-10% at best?) will be in a practical/financial/physical position to make such a transition.

Does the world owe anyone a living?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭prunudo

The cynic in me thinks its all about a long term plan to create a landgrab for the corporations, wealthy backers and pension funds who have hijacked the green movement and will see a way to capitalise on cheap 'bad' land and use it to either offset their carbon usage or sell the credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Close the datacenters

Agreed. A small amount of farmers will diversify but the majority would probably sell up.

Thats all dependant on how serious the govt is about enforcing the targets though....my money is still on Agri missing its targets wildly and the govt spinning out excuses why we missed.

But will there be any material penalties for farmers? Or the Govt? Probably not.

No, the world doesnt owe anyone a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭PommieBast

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Usually they are sold. Ya don't see much farmed land around the country left idle do ya? And the suggestion to sell for housing is MADNESS. Mose agri land doesn't bounds a town, and most that does is not zoned for residential

Who said it does? Farmers produce food. If they don't produce it, who does? We don't over produce. We produce what is demanded of us. We produce more than we need and then we export the rest by the billions of euro load. We're actually quiet good at it. If say we said to those we sell to that we were just producing enough for ourselves. Well that means they go get what they want somewhere else. We lose out. Then the processors/retailers here have farmers by the balls as there's no competition now. Closed market. Prices for producers down, prices for consumers up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

You really have an issue with farmers and agriculture.Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy a farm.You could let it rewild or plant it etc to your hearts content.Decent bit of land for sale all around the country.

Remember though that once you plant it it is worthless from a farming perspective for at least 2 generations and will devalue it a lot.

Far as I am aware all these global warming targets are on a country basis so no real way of tying it to any individual person.We have been promised no herd reduction although I would imagine it will be tried by stealth methods ie make it impossible to farm at any level of intensity with new rules/reg

Its really an accounting issue ie just prove on paper you are complying and that should do it.Like carbon trading ,offsetting etc etc;a bookwork exercise.Do you really think people actually care about this ?

Herd reduction is already here via stealth - nitrates banding, TAMS grants with limits, etc

And what will these extra people eat once the means of producing food is concreted over ?

• Advertisement

I have a don't reduce the food supply issue because that eventually leads to Starvation and Genocide

"What do you think should happen" So you're admitting you're wrong and don't have the answer, thank you at least for this

You must put your own work in, it's not good enough just to threaten, society will see through this and lynch you

I'll hold your hand for a moment; As I said the right crop in the right place, oranges in florida, potatoes in prince edward island, wheat in france, olives in Italy. The most efficient crop in the most efficient soil and climate. The emmissions for transport are separate and you are conflating the 2 to hate on farmers. Transport is not to the exclusive use of food transportation

But

Food is to the exclusive use of sustaining life

None of that changes the emissions targets. How do we hit the targets if we continue to produce at the same scale?

Ireland isnt the only farming nation in the world. Nobody is going to starve to death because ireland cuts back on food production.

Yes, I dont know how they plan to monitor farms emission reduction targets.

It will be interesting to see what the strategy there is.

It wont be much use saying we arent hitting our targets if some farms are reducing and doing their bit and others arent.

I dont have anything against farmers. but other industries seem more accepting of their targets. I havent heard one farmer yet say they are onboard.

lol. irish farmers scaling back production to allow 25% emission reduction by 2030 is not going to lead to global genocide!

You certainly enjoy your hyperbole, i give you that.

im not asking you what you would do because i dont have the answer.

the answer is to scale back production to reduce emissions and hit out targets. Ive been clear on that throughout.

the reason i am asking is to see if you think farmers should do ANYTHING whatsoever to help the climate issue.

It sounds like business as usual is your approach. Fair enough. At least we know where you stand.

Agriculture is one of the only industries who actually have some plans in place and are working towards them. 2 big ones are LESS and Protected Urea. In addition extra regulations around nitrates (though thats more water related). Farmers are the only ones who can sequester carbon and will carry the can more than any other industry. Don't forget that.

Ireland reducing food production leads to others increasing to fill the void. Remember, global population is growing and more food is needed on less land due to rewilding plans, forestry plans, bio fuel plans, AD plans, more housing, etc, etc. Ireland is 2nd on the sustainability scale for dairy behind New Zealand. Cutting Irelands dairy leads to increases elsewhere in less efficent places. We get rain, we grow grass. We can turn that easily into protein for humans. We're excellent at it.

Farming practices will change to meet the targets, or try at least. There's big promotion on clover, cover crops, MSS, crop rotation in tillage, native proteins. A lot of this was done years ago but the promotion of artificial fertiliser by government and industry meant that changed. Thankfully it's coming full circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Remember, they are working from some arbitrary date (2030) set by a load of government wigs that doesn't take into account the real world. Change takes time and needs to be properly analysed and studies before making drastic wholesale changes. Like you, I fear we are sleepwalking into a massive food shortage event, which if does happen, the very same governments will say "we didn't know this would happen". It also takes time to ramp back up farming production, it's not like a factory where you can throw bodies at it and ramp up production in a short space of time. Very worrying times ahead unless some common sense starts to prevail and people start voting for governments that actually understand this

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

How will it work if Irish farmers have to reduce but population increases ?

2 plus 2 will still equal 4.People will still need food .Where wil it come from ?

There was a poster on here some years ago who continually tried to downplay ag. contribution to the Irish economy and was obsessed with rural tax contribution vs spend.

Agriculture contributes proportionally more to the Irish economy than it does in many countries so its of much more importance to us.Its also one of the few things we can do with our own natural resources and is in the main Irish owned companies involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Each country sets their own targets

I explicitly said I was talking about places with poor public transport. And I said the employer should be taxed, not the employees.

Employees paying for parking in places with no public transport won't fix anything. It will only impose a burden on the employee

If the employer had to pay per parking space, they would be incentivised to pay for mass transit for their workers, or lobby for public transport, or locate in an area with better public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I see this story is gathering more legs. It seems that they are importing these wood chips from half way around the world so they can meet their environmental obligations and reduce their carbon emissions targets. Both Bord na Móna and Eamon Ryan need to hauled over the hot coals on this.

• Advertisement

100%, biomass is a cod. The sooner it's dumped, the better. More sustainable lower emission power sources please

Advertisement