Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think Sarah has been peddling light entertainment on drive time now the last year or so.

I agree about Claire Byrne

Bottom line is the late late still makes a ton of money and thus the whip will be out on the poor horse to keep it going.

I had been surprised at Claire Byrne being mentioned and bar that no real interest in who takes over.

It's just a trajedy we are all forced to pay for this ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think a LLS format change is needed too. Nearly every episode of the LLS has a fcuking misery section. Someone who is dying of cancer, was raped etc. etc. etc. I 100% feel sorry for those people but that stuff isn't suitable for a prime time entertainment slot.

Look at Graham Norton. Ignoring the fact that he gets better guests, he doesn't typically dive head first into dead parents, illnesses, rape etc.

Keep it light entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Claire Byrne might not suit this programme. She doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humour and maybe politics is her forte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The LLS is a sort of cultural icon.

It's a valuable brand too so won't be abandoned easily.

As you say it's also a nice little earner therefore it's not costing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the only way to save LLS is to give the gig to Paddy Kielty. He can do comedy, humour ad-lib, serious interviews, empathy.

But, and it's a big but, rte have to bite the bullet and start to spend money getting better quality guests on. I don't think any presenter, no matter how good, can make the show work if we are going to continue having the likes of Dermot Bannon, Pat Shortt, rte weather girls, Mary Morrissey, Country specials, valentines specials etc. Its needs bigger names, ones more entertaining. It'll cost them though. The rte canteen is cheap, but dreadful for entertainment value.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Not sure, but they might be happy enough to appear for free on Graham Norton due to the size of the TV audience. Perhaps tv and music stars have to do it to promote whatever they are selling?

But our market is tiny, so I would guess music, tv, film stars ain't going to come to Ireland for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

No. They are usually on promoting a film, TV series, book, song etc. The show has a large UK audience and huge syndication worldwide so it's excellent free publicity. That's not including clips etc shown on social media.

In fact they would be turning away people and some nights the couch is overfilled with them.

Due to programmes like Graham Norton there's no need for them to come to Dublin for the LLS.

Better quality guests doesn’t mean Hollywood though, if you look at Norton show it’s all carefully scripted in conjunction with the guests PR teams and really it’s kind of empty

the old late late had quality Irish people and controversy and the odd political scandal.

it’s different nowadays but still not impossible

tubridy had some Hollywood types on and to be honest embarrassed the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The slot certainly didn't disappoint last night.

Could even be a spin off show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, I think the Graham Norton show is hollow as well . Totally overrated, I don’t get it at all. Luvvies pretending to like each other, fake hysterical laughter at each other’s feeble jokes . and at at the same time itching with impatience until the focus is on them. Never any depth to the conversations, stupid anecdotes which have all been rehearsed as a corresponding picture will flash up. Nope, the GN show would not be my template for the LLS.

Gn: Tell us the hilarious story that’s slightly risqué that was spiced up and scripted by your pr team ? 😂😂😂

same every week 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,446 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't be bothered with Graham Norton. Hollywood types are usually dull as hell. They generally have a comedian on to spice things up a bit.

We all know the GN show is scripted, and everyone is fake and on to sell something, but at least it's a bit of craic and light hearted.

By comparison, our Friday night entertainment in Ireland is like a wake ffs, full of illness and misery.

Surely there has to be some middle ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Patrick Kielty has been offered the LLS gig

. Will it happen again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had to laugh at Pat Shortts comments a few days ago that LLS was in need of a shake up, pity he never said anything like that when Tubs was wheeling in out over the last few years..🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

Maybe he thought Tubridy was doing a good job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dass roooiatt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

An "RTÉ insider" told the Sun that RTÉ management were in "a panic" after Tubridy told them he would quit the LLS at the end of this season.

He certainly took them by surprise because he had denied the rumours publicly just over a week earlier. It didn't help that "a senior management figure" (presumably Dee Forbes) was out of the country. Were management surprised, confused, irritated by the timing? Naturally. But "panicked"? I doubt it. And issuing the press release two days later suggests otherwise.

What influenced the timing of Tubs' St. Patrick's Day "bombshell"? The interviews for the new DG had just been completed. Each candidate would have had a plan for the future of the LLS. Did Tubs realise that, whoever got the job, he would not be part of the LLS in future?

We wouldn't hear about his replacement until Bakhurst is installed and ready to push the button on a new LLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Not too sure if this is a reliable source if they think he'll be replacing Gaybo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

Looks like he jumped ship before the new DG could dump him. Doesn't seem to have any say in his successor. All the wanna-be LLS hosts should chill for the next few weeks, publicity now will only damage their chances with Bakhurst who must put his stamp on this flagship.

Will Tubs hold onto his radio slot? Shedding listeners for the past year but part of a post-pandemic radio slump. For God's sake, change that horrible cacophony at the start of the radio show. Might work in a club at midnight but a big switch-off for me at 9 o'clock in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Hello and welcome to the second Late Late Show, with me, Claire Byrne.

Susan Armstrong, Keith Smith and Mary McRory.

You probably have never heard of these people before? Who are they? They are SENIOR civil servants who work in the Stormont Executive. They were the people who worked tirelessly behind the scenes of the Good Friday Agreement. Tonight, with their assistance we will be going through the Good Friday Agreement LINE BY LINE with the people who WERE THERE.

Vogue Williams has written a new book about babies and diarrhoea.

Bob Geldof will be here talking about Liveaid.

And finally, we have Sean Walsh, a minor hurler from Carlow. He will be chatting to us about the anxiety he suffered as a child growing up in

a farm in Borris.

Funny thing is , someone in the job as long as tubs would normally have the experience to guide the successor but the best outcome is that he doesn’t and we start again 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I hope it’s not Claire Byrne. She’s too current affairs - I watched her new quiz show once and it was painful, very much ‘forced fun’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Poison chalice for whoever gets it.

Advertisement