Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Acosta

Matalas wasn't in sole charge during season 2, but it's fair enough to mention that, as it was awful. After season 3 I'd be certainly watching more, if they decide to do it. But as I've said elsewhere, what we we're left with on the Titan/Enterprise wouldn't be enough to carry a show. So a lot depends on who is going to be in it.

As for Kurtzman, I really don't know how involved or not he was with season 3. But I think it's an educated enough guess to say that he wasn't around much and let them at it. In terms of TNG, Kurtzman always came across like he basically watched all the borg episodes, plus the first and last episode and nothing else. The ideas, character returns and writing on season 3 were clearly developed by people who were fans of TNG.

I enjoyed much about SNW. Decent stories and characters for the most part. But that new trailer really does cram in everything I dislike about it. Too much silly dialogue. The RML lads sum it up pretty well be comparing it to a bunch of silly teenagers. I have no hope for the Starfleet Academy show

• Registered Users Posts: 25,605 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At least Star Trek Academy will be honest about its aim at teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Just a quick in and out of this thread - I've purposely not read any of it, and will not read any after this post.

I've just finished Picard S3, after being lowballed by S1 and 2, S3 hit every mark that 12 (43) year old me wanted it to hit. **** your canon, S3 is the trek movie I've wanted all along. To quote a very wise philosopher "I've had my fun and that all that matters"

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Me watching Picard season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

After season 2 i didn't have high hopes, but goddamn what a comeback, i utterly loved season three!! Now leave it there lads, end on a high.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

the whole thing was naff to be honest....no data..no worries we'll think of some way to bring him back.

The Borg was all nice and cuddly in the last season and now its back to assimilate all...meh. Its pure catering to the fanbase of TNG but it did absolutely nothing for me. Very disappointing. But with the state that Star Trek is in nowadays I expected nothing less.

That graph linked to your posts kinda sums up how I feel about S2 compared to 1 & 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Koda Green Radial

that was a big borg ship

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's the remnant of the Borg unimatrix core thingy from Voyager, rather than a normal cube, and hence the size of it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

ooh, is that the thing that was gonna allow them to trans warp wherever they wanted...I need to rewatch the end of voyager...how did it end up in jupiter? How did they not know it was in jupiter?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They did mention sensor signals of a transwarp conduit being present. As to how they missed it, there's not really a good answer for that. It's in the Great Spot, but that only goes so far. One of those things that's best overlooked it seems.

Full of holes.

They called it a cube. Is their no shields, can it not fire? why they let riker and picard on their and not stick a spikey assimilator thingy in rikers head straight away.

I liked that riker wasn't able to lift worfs sword thing, their was a few funny bits in it.

The comments regarding the attention to detail are very good. I missed all of them.

One thing I hated about the D was the asymmetrical shuttle bays. Damn they always made me internally scream "Why‽"

Just looking at the thumbnail and I realized what a terrible waste of energy it is having all those room lights on in an empty ship 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, if I weren't keeping track of the show out of what became idle curiosity I'd be po'ed about these spoilers.

As it happens I watched episode 1 for the lols and ... ... uhhh it's ok like. Not aggressively bad or thuddingly stupid like Season 1 or 2, with there smallest sense Terry Matalas at least watched some Trek. Characters felt a bit more in keeping with TNG, albeit with more modernised sass. Matalas' 12 Monkeys was way better than it had any right to be so perhaps this will surprise too (the actor playing Shaw was in that, so obviously followed Matalas here).

I'll say one thing: you just know "the red lady" would have been a season's worth of winking and Mystery Box bullshít were Kurtzman at the helm (maybe that's cos we literally had that with Season 2 of Disco and "the red angel")

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Because all the Borg bar the Queen were dead. Don't ask me why I forgot that bit but that's why she was using this signal to take over all the under 25s lol and they were not assimilating any more they were eliminating anyone who was not a Borg I think it was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Rawr

I suspect that was them planning ahead for sets. They knew they’d want to do shuttle bay scenes (TOS & the Films had them), but Shuttlebay 1 is a huge hanger that covers most of a deck, leaving them with the need to have smaller Shuttlebays 2 & 3 that they could build sets for.

I suspect there might of been a plan to have the option for a smaller shuttle bay set, to cut down on costs or to have a smaller door if the plot required it. Thus that smaller door is on the model. However, we have seen both Shuttlebay 2 & 3 on screen and both were the same set with the larger door. Must have been an idea they never realised (or forgot about)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Isn't one of the doors on the neck the cargo bay Geordi and Crusher were trapped in in Disaster?

Terry Matalas came up with the plot for Picard 2 and co-wrote it.

Season 3 was full absolutely full of mystery box bullsht. Remember Skeletor. Remember when that man turned out to be the Borg Queen. Remember Jacks Upsidedown world dreams that were not revealed till e9.

Worf was revealed out of a mystery box. Data was revealed out of a mystery box. Jack was revealed out of a mystery box. Changelings too. Ya they were all mid season reveals but outside of a few legacy ships this season was pure KurtzTrek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy fcuk that annoyed me such the Red Angel reveal. If it wasn't for Captain Pike amd Saru, that season would have been a disaster.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll see how it plays out, from what I've heard of events it'll all come down to execution... but there's a difference between a Mystery and a Mystery Box. The Red Lady didn't outstay its welcome and came as a natural eureka moment after a bit of street tattle.

What is the "red lady" ?

Is that the voice from the dreams. Because if so it was kept hidden for the exact same amount of time as the PIC 1 mystery and for way longer than the DIS 1&2 mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

I did enjoy the fan service nostalgia in season 3. I thought the plot was absolutely terrible for the most part, and they could have just done the whole thing in a two-part episode like in the TNG days. Not a fan of this new Trek universe where everything is a consipiracy, special intelligence operations or dark mystery something something.

But the fan service was great.

Season 1 was the worst, I didn't like anything about it (except Patrick Stewart).

Season 2 tried something different, but the story wasn't very well told and the I still didn't like any of the "new crew" (when I could remember their names).

Still, maybe the "Legacy" series could work, but I guess that depends if it's 7, Raffi and Jack on a ship or something else.

Jack's dreams/hallucinations heavily foreshadow the Borg on a rewatch. Episode four's ending is very reminiscent of Picard's nightmare in the opening of First Contact and the red door could also be a reference to the door of main engineering in First Contact too.

I've watched one episode, as I said. it was the clue about the Starfleet facility getting Portal'ed, the clue being "The Red Lady". That it didn't last am episode was nice, because it could have easily had the árse dragged out of it. Will see how the rest of the season goes, assuming I don't eject early again ala season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@breezy1985 Rather than spoil it here see the episode thread post on 'Red Lady'

Ah ya I remember the Red Lady now.

Ya I noticed the Picard/Jack dream connection but the red door thing is very much reaching. It was a poor misdirection just like Skeletor and Vadic sort of changeling henchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The red eyes thing as well. We only saw those when someone was possessed by pah wraiths to my best recollection. The Borg have never been shown to do the glowy red eyes thing.

• Advertisement

It could be a reach or it could just be obscure. I didn't remember the door to main engineering in First Contact was red until I saw it in the RLM video.

Advertisement