Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

If you think Davy is listening to Kelly or Queally you don't know Davy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What is their roll then…a pair of yes men …? Someone on this thread maintained a couple of weeks ago that Queally was one of the best coaches in the county…..with this sort of pedigree surely he should at least be visible on the sideline/dug out but not a sign of him it’s just the ‘ young lad ‘ possibly the ‘stat man’ is all the we see

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

I didn’t think last year in Ennis would be topped (so soon anyway) but by god it was today. I just can’t get my head around what we saw today. Am in my early forties so have seen some dark days especially the 80s and early 90s but there was no real expectation back then where as the bunch of players we have now were meant to be a golden generation (minor and under 21 all Ireland winners) but they just haven’t been able to live up to the expectation which is one thing but when you look at 2019, last year and today to put in so many embarrassing & pitiful performances is just so hard to fathom. The year is as good as over (I’m already having nightmares at the taughts of playing Clare and Tipp). Where we go after this year god only knows. At least if we had some good underage teams coming through it would give us some hope but alas that situation is nearly a mirror image of our seniors. A lot of soul searching to be done over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just one thought for now. Peter Hogan was our brightest player today. The only one who looked like he had a spring in his step and could take Cork on with his pace. That's despite having guys like Calum Lyons and Jack Prendergast who previously showed how fast they are.

Is it coincidence that Hogan was away with Ballygunner and then injured and missed the 100 100s and the rest of physical training? Because those that did them are running through tar the last two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Two teams on zero points.... Waterford and Westmeath.

Turns out there is an easy game in Munster. It's us.

Have to say hats off to the camoige team. From first whistle to last they were clearly the better team. Really good performance and a real confidence booster ahead of the all Ireland. Class acts one and all

What Camogie match are you talking about. Were the seniors playing today….?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some Cork supporters on the terrace pretty disrespectful during the minutes silence

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Very hard watch. Friend who I was at the match with said that after 30 years, this would be his last Waterford game as this group of players can't be relied on. While I'm not as pessimistic, it sums up the misery of today.

First the positives. Prunty and Mark Fitzgerald locked down hoggy and harnedy in the first half despite Waterford not winning a puck out. Two Fitzgerald's off the bench, look to have the hurling to make it at this level. The 3 Fitzgerald's have been a great addition this year.

For the negatives. I was in the terrace and the straight down the pitch view really highlighted our weaknesses. We invariably work as individuals and our system doesn't allow us to be more than the sum of our parts.

On our puck outs, we would make 3-4 individual runs and Nolan would target one of these players. This is fine if you win the ball clean but most of the time the ball breaks and there's no support on the breaking ball as everyone else has run to different parts of the pitch.

In general play our forwards positioning and movement is horrendous. Lots of our main lads, Bennett, dessie, Aussie taking a break on the wing, clogging up space and never resetting to the middle.

On the few occasions they were set in the middle and a half back had the ball; our inside forwards wouldn't even make a run. Is this because they know the ball won't be hit in?

The running into traffic and obsession with taking on a man every time is deranged. You have to play what's in front of you. You run the ball to create space for your inside forwards and you hit your inside forwards to create space out the field. If you don't mix it up, there's no space anywhere.

Finally Bennett has to go off the frees. Far too inconsistent for this level. Back one of the Fitzgeralds for this.

Edit: I've been to a few coaching seminars with Eoin Kelly and never was particularly impressed in the way that Eamonn o shea or mick dempsey would wow you. Always got the feeling that he was rehashing other people's ideas rather than creating his own. As the coach, he's got to take a large portion of blame along with Davy for the poor stickwork and non-existent shape/movement in our forwards.

• Advertisement

yeah witnessed that on Tv……will be nice to see cork hyped up by the meja etc over next few weeks especially if they win next game…..

Exactly.

I hear he's been sending Kelly out to talk to refs at half time as the walk to the dressing room. Sad ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Dalo calling out Waterford for poor support today. Fcuk off didn’t see anything wrong with the number of Waterford jerseys around us today better than last week.

thanks for your kind words ‘useless waterford outfit’……maybe you should stay in your own thread….. plenty of corkonians will be getting ‘semis’ after that today and even more so if they win the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he's probably one of the lads singing today during a minutes silence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i feel sorry for Waterford's predicament at the moment , no home venue which is huge,

several players absent or abroad for various reasons , good young lads coming through but that bit too young

and a county championship at all 3 divisions senior intermediate and junior last year at club level doesn't help either , the lads in australia are a huge loss

keep the faith!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Hard luck folks, but if ye win the next game then ye're back in the mix. Personally myself i feel that Waterford made a massive mistake reappointing Davy Fitz as manager.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

That's unfortunate we have a big following, and sadly you'll always have a few idiots amongst that. Although i think the Tipp crowd are the worst when it comes to yobbish supporters!

• Advertisement

That was 41 years ago mate. Let's try and not get too smug and ungracious in victory. You'll be looking like an idiot if we get another hammering off Limerick!

after today expecting a win in any of the remaining games is almost delusional…..yes reappointing Davey was not wise but it sounds like there were no other candidates even-though the official line was that there was…..and smug Cork lads coming on here doesn’t contribute anything other than reinforce how smug some of them actually are😀

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

.... and expertly managed too. In case the County Board forgot, Sean Power had some success with underage teams in 2013 & 2016.

I don't know what Paddy Leavey and Patrick Curran have to do to get a run out.

The game is up for Davy but he should at least make changes for the last 2 games to restore some pride to the county. Start the aforementioned, Hogan and Mahony plus the Fitzgeralds and see where that goes. At least the Ballygunner lads have a winning mentality ; speaking of which, it's time the county board had a chat with the Ballygunner management team.

and start Carthach Daly too !

to say that Tipp crowd are the most yobbish is very unfair on the Limerick yobbos.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

It’s a discussion forum. And I don’t think anyone could realistically be smug after that game yesterday. Many have said it’s hard to know how good Cork were because Waterford were that poor in the first half.

From lot of the posts from many, including pundits this week, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Cork maybe shouldn’t bother to show up. The truth was that Cork, while an unknown quantity to some extent, were always likely to be at least very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

One thing I wanted to hear after the end of last years championship disaster was some clearing of the air by the players about what bloody happened . We didn’t get that ,we were then left with rumour and conjecture. Losing Cahill while inevitable meant it was just convenient to keep it all in-house with new manager . Eventually it will all come out you’d think !! So now we still have to play out our remaining games , and while the chances of qualifying are all but gone capitulation now against Clare and Tipp is not a option as we know by now what mental scarring does to Waterford hurling .

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Capitulation is what we have been doing too often over the past 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 unbeknownist

Not to continue with the negative theme, but looking to the future. How many of the panel will continue? Tadhg probably should (likely will) retire, I can see Bennett following his brothers abroad, Austin is an enigma, paddy Curran might not stick around if he’s not playing, and a few more lads might follow suit.

Advertisement