Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You seem to get very upset over little things. Take a breath and calm down and if that doesn't work take a break from the internet.

I just named the two leaders and a random starter, it could just as easily have been Gordon but Caldwell-Pope was the first name that came into my head. What do you want me to do, name everybody? Jokic, Murray, Gordon, Porter, Caldwell-Pope and sixth man Brown. Is that okay, does that make you happy?

This post seems to be because you are upset that I told you Lloyd is a master of English.

You'd be better off being nice and respecting your fellow posters. If you keep this up you'll end up with nobody replying to you and the penny will eventually drop and you'll realise that everybody has put you on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I can see the intent of that post is lost on you. Not surprising really.

Getting rid of Jimmy Butler III is the greatest crime ever committed in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

This looks to be a done deal now. Looney killed the kings on rebounds and Steph was unbelievable. Can't wait for Lakers and Warriors, will Looney out rebound Davis?

• Advertisement

I’m not upset over anything, I just won’t allow utter nonsense about the game I love to go without comment and calling out horse manure when I see it.

“I could easily have”…..but you didn’t, did you?

You’re clearly relatively new here I don’t want to be accused of humblebragging but I can assure you without fear of contradiction that I’ve played the game at a higher level than you and with respect, know more about the workings of the game than you. Some posters here know me, know of me, and know my playing and coaching history.

What exactly constitutes Lloyd’s mastery of the language? Please enlighten me. I’m equally interested in learning about your knowledge of my academic qualifications - please tell me more. For the record, I have my primary degree, 2 Masters, 5 additional postgrads (currently doing my 6th). I’d wager you need slightly above average English language proficiency to achieve that; but what would I know? Not bad for a guy who will get embarrassed by your super friend. 🙄

Finally, do you actually think I’d be upset or care if you put me on ignore? Let me assure you I absolutely would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I honestly didn’t expect that, I can finally breathe, looney was a beast and Curry…what else can we say, people continue to underestimate him, people assume he is below LeBron but I honestly think he is better overall, as a teammate especially

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Looney with 22 rebounds was insane. I think I heard that he's the 38th/39th highest paid centre in the league, crazy.

Well you seem upset in this post again.

I don't know anything about your education but Lloyd is fantastic with the English language. He's listed some of the most wonderful posts in this site.

I'm not new here either, I've been posting on and off for 13+ years on this forum.

You are a young guy and I don't know what level you played. I used to play a bit at point guard many moons ago. I'm 53 btw.

And really you don't have to have played to have a great knowledge of the game. There's been plenty of great coaches in the NCAA and NBA that were never much good or never played the game at a high level.

Did LeBron change how the game was played because Curry did.

• Advertisement

Yea, we got a great deal on him, to be fair, other teams could of offered him more before we resigned him but they didn’t, he has had injury problems in the past but I wouldn’t swap him with anyone, great unselfish teammate, love him.

Klay was poor, makes Steph’s performance even more special, Jesus l, Iam so pumped, unreal !!!

100% but I’ll always give LeBron his props even if he annoys the life out of me, I just always think Curry doesn’t get enough respect, he balled out today, just cos he doesn’t have that big ego or brashness, doesn’t mean that he is a stone cold killer. He was not losing today, that was special and no matter what happens, it’s great to appreciate these moments from great players

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Curry is immense, amazing performance today.

I don’t see the case to be ahead of LeBron, how could there be one? He’s a replacement level defender sometimes (at best) assuming amazing coaching, and he’s been all - NBA 8 times when LeBron has been 18.

But he’s brilliant in his own right, best jump shooter of all time.

If LeBron had Curry's mentality he might be up there with Jordan.

Yeah you have a good argument there just like the one that puts Jordan at no.1.

MJ won six championships and it's proven beyond all doubt that his team couldn't win championships without him.

Then the most important stats,

All time ppg leader.

All time postseason ppg leader.

Five time MVP

Six time finals MVP

MJ is the GOAT and it's not even close.

If I may interject on yer debate.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan played the full NBA regular 82 games NINE times.

LeBron Raymone James Sr has done it..................................ONCE

Longevity...LOL.

A GOAT debate should probably live in a different thread.

In terms of the Boston / Philly semi tonight, anyone able to see any sort of chance for 76ers sans Embiid?

Kings feel in a somewhat similar situation to Memphis. Do you just run it back because Curry / LeBron / AD / KD / Kawhi / Paul / etc are all a year older again next year and you’ll eventually get there?

Or do you have to ask the hard question about championship equity with Sabonis at 5? Can you win a conference with this core?

Kings were epically setup for the regular season - spread offense with high pace and Jack up loads of threes. Young core that can play loads of minutes. But is this building towards winning multiple series in the playoffs? Fox will get better but can he become hyper efficient?

I think they need another core star and rejig it for the challenges the playoffs present.

Rewatching all of Steph’s points. Just gorgeous finishes and devastating off the ball work. A truly historic performance. For me, it puts to bed the notion that he should be out there more minutes. It’s his energy and acceleration that is so valuable. Need to just eat those periods on the bench to keep him fresh, it’s so worth it. What a player.

• Advertisement

Way to completely misrepresent the point that was made to suit your narrative. Well done!

That point was made when they were down 2-0 and were being heavily outscored in the periods he was off court - as you know. Barnes had a wide open 3 to take game 4. If it went to 3-1 that series was likely over then.

The point I made at that time was situation specific. Their margin for error was so small given they were 2-0 down and again - lost both of those games when Steph was off the court.

it’s very easy be wise after the event and the narrative suits your point. If they had lost this series and that pattern repeated itself it would have been a legitimate criticism.

Why do you assume I’m upset? I’m not. You assume a lot.

Why do you also assume i’m young? I’m 50. I’m following the NBA since 1984, long before it was a thing to do so.

I’m posting on this thread since November 2009. I had (by a considerable distance) the highest post count (when you could view such things) on the thread before the site reboot.

Did I say you need to have played or coached at a high level to understand the game? No, I did not. However, what I learned as a player and a coach is not detrimental to my understanding of the game. Or do you disagree?

You then go on to cite that there are NBA and NCAA coaches that were “never much good” (great English btw - note: that’s sarcasm). 2 things on that:

1. that’s a relative statement
    2. you’re not one of those though, are you?

You then go on to say “I don’t know your education”. Why assume then that LL’s English is better than mine? You’re big into assumptions aren’t you? Not my first time of asking by the way but is there any chance you can show us some “delicious” examples of his incredible penmanship? I really am curious to see these works of prose and be “embarrassed” as you said by the amazingness of it. Or are you going to ignore this again?

Sabonis had a disappointing Play Offs but a great regular season in which he was an All Star. I can’t see him playing this badly again. This was a learning season for the Kings - at the start of the season them making the Play Offs would have been seen as a win. I’d run it back, and I’d expect them to be a Top 4 seed again next year. The hard lessons they learned this year will have been invaluable.

Well they may well just run it back and yes Sabonis and the team as a whole had a great regular season but serious deficiencies exposed in the series. You only get so many chances, and they need to be sure it can be different next year imo.

LeBron is a better player and has had a better career. Part of that is the longevity thing and part of that is his unnatural ability for the first 15 years of his career to remain largely injury free.

Curry had glass ankles and was so heavily injury prone in his first few seasons let’s not forget that there was talk his career would be over before his second contract AND there were questions as to whether GS would trade him. The work he did on his core and legs (he can deadlift over 400lbs) to strengthen his ankles and entire body is what led him to realizing his potential. I’ve said LeBron is a better player overall, but Curry is by far a better teammate as you say. He also changed the game historically in a way few players have. He ushered in the 3 point revolution we’ve seen in the last decade and put to bed the notion that you can’t win championships with jump shots. The space he creates just by being on the floor whether with the ball or not is like nothing I’ve ever seen in almost 40 years of watching professional basketball.

I’d absolutely agree that he’s still under-rated and under-appreciated. He also doesn’t get the respect he deserves from his fellow players, and there’s been countless articles and podcasts on that. You know from our conversations he’s my favourite player to watch and I was on that ship since before they won anything.

I’m travelling at the moment so won’t get to see that game from last night until I get home. I purposely haven’t looked at the stat line so looking forward to seeing the game.

Again you seem upset and seem to take everything personally. You also seem to think that everything everybody says is a slight on you.

For example Lloyd's posts about last night's game and his thoughts after it and you think he's attacking a post you made a week or so ago.

You said in an earlier post "can assure you without fear of contradiction that I’ve played the game at a higher level than you and with respect, know more about the workings of the game than you"

That comment was insulting and like something a young person would say. So between that and you saying you were still in education I assumed you were young.

I replied to that by saying that there's plenty of coaches who didn't play at a high level who became great coaches. So the level you played at doesn't mean you know more than me or anybody else about the game.

I've coached at multiple sports but not Basketball yet. I've used tactics from Basketball in other sports and if I ever do coach basketball I'd definitely find areas to improve upon by using tactics from other sports. This of course would be at a low level. I've learned, from watching multiple sports, to incorporate tactics from sports to enhance the teams I coach.

If you watch professional soccer you should look at a game from thirty years ago and compare it to today. You'll see players all over the field cutting off passing lanes, go back thirty years and that wasn't happening. That changed from looking at Basketball defense, I'm sure of that. Alex Ferguson at Manchester United set up an offensive system where it was extremely difficult for the opposition to get out of their own defensive area, it reminds me of the Princeton offense. In today's game most teams use something similar which to me comes from Ferguson's system.

Then you've got Pep Guardiola whose system on defense looks like a full court press.

I had a great friend you might know or have heard of, Peter Ferrari, and I spent loads of time talking about the ins and outs of the game with him. Peter was a great coach. I learned so much from him.

You brought up your education and I just said I don't know anything about your education.

I'm sure you can browse through Lloyd's posts yourself if you are that interested. I have no interest in helping you out as regards that.

You have to realise that nobody is attacking you. It appears you have this belief that every post in this thread is about you. They are not. Posts that concern you normally quote a post you made.

Finally the amount of posts made by somebody means nothing. There are plenty of posters on this site who have lots of posts but don't make quality posts. Before you get all up in a huff and think I'm saying you don't make quality posts I'm not. I'm simply saying that the amount of posts is not a good barometer to use.

Anyway, to summarise. On a personal level I'm always looking at tactics and systems and trying to understand them so I can use them or part of them in other sports.

Nobody here is out to get you or insult you. Don't take things so personally. I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts, not all of them but a good few up until recently where you've started taking things personally and become a little nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is the type of post from you that I like.

And I'm in full agreement with it

You might note that I said the other day that Curry changed the way game is played. You go into more detail about it there.

Anyway that's an excellent post.

How many young people do you know have 2 Masters and are doing their 6th Post Grad on top of that?

• Advertisement

Sorry, are you actually saying there’s no difference between watching an NBA player post up on tv versus guarding one in real life? Because I have done both, and I can assure you that you have no idea just how quick, big, and strong an NBA player is until you have to try and guard them. I have played with and against future (at the time obviously), ex-NBA players, and active NBA players - I’ve discussed this over the years on here. No reading about the game or watching it prepares you for that. To say there is no advanced learning through doing/playing dismisses much of learning theory.

I’m not trying to be insulting, I’m just stating facts. I can’t control your feelings hearing them.

Advertisement