Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you dont like prefixes dont use prefixes like "biological"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You are demeaning biological men and women by prefixing woman and man in some sort of pseudo equivalency to trans people

I am, like personally?

Being a biological man myself I find that accusation quite baffling.

If the prefix is what is demeaning - are you basically not just implying you think you are getting away with demeaning to someone to label them a “trans woman” instead of simply a “woman?”

It's sexist because you are specifically labelling based on the person's sex

categorically false the prefix is applied to both men AND women. The prefix is the same for both!

In all of nature a prefix of suffix is attached to distinguish the abnormal from the normal

there it is, the heart of the perceived grievance. People daring to pierce one’s veil that they are the “normals” and everyone else are the “others”

conservatism 101: “Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

here for you the ‘law’ (of semantics) is “prefixes for thee, not me.”

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joggerjogger

No, you're putting in place a prefix where there never has been, trans has always been trans

Wrong yet again, woman = female, trans=opposite, ie different sexes, it is biological impossible for any trans person to change their sex hence the differentiation anf distinction is sexist

I have no grievance, I don't give a fack what you do but you don't have peoole's consent to label them so don't, that's what you're not getting, "consent"

Go away with your made up definition nonsense and just respect people by not trying to plicate one group by sullying others

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not really sure you guys know what prefixes are, but if woman is a noun, then cis and trans are both prefexes. Biological would be an adjective.

Transatlantic - to go over to the other side of the Atlantic.

Cisatlantic* - to stay on the same side of the Atlantic.

Neither is normal or abnormal, that's not what prefixes do.

*yes, it is actually a real word, just not used very often. Google it if you don't believe me :)

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Where does this government get off on introducing unnecessary and deeply flawed legislation ?

Virtue signalling egotists who want to be seen to be active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Criminalizing speech, yeah great. Very progressive.

Notice that immigration status is included as a protected category.

• This legislation is totally out of kilter with the rest of the developed world.

Well intentioned but a total governmental overstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It's always the same, isn't it? The people who shout the loudest about encroaching fascism want to give the government more and more power to control every aspect of people's lives. Presumably so that when the fascism we're constantly told is encroaching does indeed arrive, the newly-instated fascist government will have no trouble shutting anyone up about any old thing they like. They need only do a little editing on the definition of the term "hate" and those covered by it.

The only time that principles matter is when they are difficult to hold to. We saw this during the pandemic, when those with an ostensibly strongly held principle of bodily autonomy wanted people to be blow-darted with mRNA, or those who claimed to be for freedom turned into the curtain-twitching Stasi. And we see it again now, when people who ostensibly strongly hold a principle of free speech flake because sometimes words might not be to their liking.

It would be bad enough if that were it, but the fact that the law seeks to punish possession of material that has not been shared, and to then reverse the burden of proof on that aspect of the law such that the person in private possession of a malevolent meme must prove their lack of intent to ever share it, is utterly beyond the pale.

Enjoy being sent hateful material from anonymous internet-derived telephone numbers and then having the guards call around shortly after your next argument with a neighbour.

A pox on anyone who would support such a destruction of everything our civilisation is built upon.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

"Cis" is a word that has a specific, quasi-religious connotation. According to Wikipedia: "A cisgender person has a gender identity that matches their sex assigned at birth". This requires two things:

(1) That a person has a "gender identity" (and therefore believes in the concept of gender identity)

(2) That a person's sex was assigned at birth.

Since (1) refers to a small minority of people, and (2) refers to quite literally nobody, if you insist on turning the word "woman" (or man) into an umbrella term requiring a prefix then you require a new word or term to describe the adult human females (and males) who do not hold faith or belief in gender ideology and were covered by "man" and "woman" until five minutes ago when you decided we had always been at war with Eastasia. At the very least, you require an additional prefix for non-believers.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Actually the most common use of 'trans' in Latin is to mean 'beyond' . Therefore the nearest antonym would be 'intus' meaning inside/within. So technically if we want to play the grammar game. We would have a beyond woman and an inside woman.

• Advertisement

I wasn't defining cisgender, I was explaining what a prefix was.

Two problems:

1 - as you say - the people who shout the loudest

2 - the people who actually engage with them (regardless of whether they agree or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's always the same, isn't it? The people who shout the loudest about encroaching fascism want to give the government more and more power to control every aspect of people's lives. Presumably so that when the fascism we're constantly told is encroaching does indeed arrive, the newly-instated fascist government will have no trouble shutting anyone up about any old thing they like. They need only do a little editing on the definition of the term "hate" and those covered by it.

I really think that these types are more like Bolsheviks myself, creating very vague laws and standards that can be applied to nearly everything if they want them to be. I'd honestly rather live under Evola's ideals, "fascism" if you will, than the modern Irish state, and I say that as a Christian. Actual fascists weren't very fond of Christianity either, regardless of what the modern "left" tries to convince us of.

“Modern capitalism is just as subversive as Marxism. The materialistic view of life on which both systems are based is identical. As long as we only talk about economic classes, profit, salaries, and production, and as long as we believe that real human progress is determined by a particular system of distribution of wealth and goods, then we are not even close to what is essential". ― Julius Evola, Revolt Against the Modern World

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No its not. Its common to have such legislation in many countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_by_country

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ever think that comparing them to Bolsheviks and condescendingly referring to people as the 'modern left' might actually be perceived as an attack and actually be the cause of them shouting louder because they peteceive your words as a threat to their existence...?

A threat to their existence?🤡 What dramatism, and a great example of how quickly we've fallen, when a word is a threat to someone's life.

It's an apt comparison. How is the "modern left" offensive exactly? They are literally the modern strain of leftism. You really want people to just shut up and say nothing, give it all away without any push back? It's not going to happen. They call their enemies Nazis, far right, transphobes and every other name under the sun, yet I can't compare them to Bolsheviks? And why exactly do you not apply the same logic in reverse? Because you're a partisan for modernist beliefs.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Jusding by the condescention, I'm going to interpret this as, "no, no I hadn't considered that'.

To clarify - I never said anyone was a threat, I'm saying the people accused of shouting the loudest might. Consider before you reply.

"You really want...." - I didn't ask for anything.

"They call their enemeies...." - my point entirelyt!! They shout "fashists!!" you shout "bolsheviks!!" - what good comes of it?

"... you're a partisna with modernist beliefs!" -I disagree, but pleas equote the part of ANY post of mine that illustrates that. Modernist beliefs.... is that in place of outdated beliefs? What beliefs do you percieve me as havingg?

You're complaining that people shout the loudest while trying to shout louder, are you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Astartes

We're gonna need a bigger jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Will grandad be done for of possession favourite popular music of his era in the car stereo when laws kick in?

-I mean somebody’s yelling; it’s not at clouds either.

Unfortunately, there comes a time when engagement is necessary. It's all well and good to sit back and feel superior when people are caps-typing "Fascist" and "Bolshevik" at each on websites. Quite another to do so as literally authoritarian laws that tear apart the concept of innocent until proven guilty wend their way through your state apparatus.

• Advertisement

None of that is the point. So if I’m in Ireland but insist I am on the west side of the Atlantic will you say I’m right and support laws that make in illegal to say where I actually am?

• I'm not talking about having legislation, I'm talking about the type of legislation.

This legislation is not tight enough - it's far too wishy-washy.

It's a bit like the death penalty - plenty of innocent people end up dead. Plenty of people will end up with a criminal record, denying them of opportunity, because they were subjectively judged to have committed a hate crime (based on this bill).

I'm a solicitor and have read every iteration of the bill. I should be delighted as I'll make an absolute fortune off this but I don't care about money, I care about good, fair, laws.

If you’ve ever considered yourself an “alpha male” etc.

Or adhered to your “gender” ie. I’m a boy I don’t stay in the kitchen I play with trucks etc. or only girls play with dresses and dolls id never do that

congratulations you have a gender identity.

Hilarious again to see you accuse ANYONE ELSE of being PARTISAN while you go off tarring everyone around you as Bolsheviks etc.

Get a mirror. Stare at a calm pond. Search that soul of yours.

In that capacity, I would totally agree with you.

Hypothetical question - has a scenario been presented where people are in danger now but safer under the new laws?

Again, I was just using that as an example of the use of prefixes, in connection with the posts above mine. Kind of dragged things off topic - apologies.

Not really sure how the scenario is relevant - is someone bringing in laws that say it's illegal to be cisgender (or whateve rword you'd rather use)?

I said type of person, which is a subset of people with a certain belief system. Rationally speaking that's not "everyone". You and only you could make such a ridiculous claim.

🤣

Youre right you cannot be a Bolshevik in your own logic set so not “everyone”

You and the few you want to bundle with you don’t consider bolsheviks but you’re not a partisan but those people all over there yeah they’re bolsheviks 🤡

I mean, thank you for being very explicit about the fact that "gender identity" is an attempt to ingrain sex-based stereotypes and insist that there is a "correct" way to be a given "gender".

Given what you've said here, you would consider me to be a man if you knew my interests, hobbies and habits. I imagine that someone who thinks like this would have seen me when I was a little girl, playing with bugs, collecting toy cars, enjoying soccer and rugby, playing video games on my C64, wearing my hair cropped and my dungarees muddy, and thought that my "gender identity" must not match with my sex.

Fortunately for me, my parents were not so wed to such stereotypes, nobody at my school ever suggested that there was anything strange or wrong or odd about my interests, and I am able to see such regressive ideas for the utter nonsense that they are. I object in the very strongest terms to my children being taught this guff as though it were fact.

• Advertisement

And there’s a whole host of other parents who would call your idea of obliterating those ‘norms’ to be nothing less than trans-grooming etc., trying to tell boys they can play with dolls and such.

Suffice to say there’s no semantic argument to be had that cis men and cis women ‘have no gender identity’

Advertisement