Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

I would echo this 100 per cent. I'm on heavy clay soil in Cork and we've been in the garden all of April. I even put in a trampoline for the kids a few weeks ago and no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Maybe April was good in Cork I don’t know but I’d hazard a guess that the rest of the country has a different take on it. Again people’s perceptions of what’s “glorious” “stunning” etc vary depending on the individual. The weekend was passable just about. Was at the coast in Waterford yesterday passing showers some. Ice sunshine but the breeze was not nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There is definitely a drainage problem coming from the field behind my house. I had this problem about 3 years ago and somehow it got sorted about 2 years ago but it came back again this year and it's worse than ever, having said that we have had a very prolonged period of wet weather since September 2022 with the only real break from rain being end of January and February 2023. March and April have been a total washout here, the rain/showers have been relentless since final days of February so not even a chance to try and solve the drainage issue with constant running surface water, green sludge depositing underneath it and white scum at times in the standing surface water. If only I could get a 10 day run of dry weather I might get somewhere with it.

I've seen a few other gardens in the area with similar conditions, waterlogged due to 2 months worth of excessive rainfall since end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Stunning day in cork yesterday, nearly got up to 20 degrees I would say finally for the first time, was lovely to just sit outside and the plants are happy too and have shot up in the pots with the heat and sun, no breeze either!

Back to cloud today though sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not sure how old your house is but standards are very poor these days with new build gardens. Builders dumping a token effort of shite topsoil over hardcore and deeming it suitable for a lawn. We're in a heavy clay area and all the lawns are shite as a result. We had our garden done properly by a landscaper after moving in and the lawn is a million times better because there's sufficient high quality topsoil in place. Cutting the grass in the middle of winter is possible if we get 3-4 dry days.

• Advertisement

This changed! Sunny now again and about 19 degrees according to the car, no wind either... and the aircon in my car decided to pack up just as the heat arrives :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

About 16-17C here bear Tralee, beautiful sunny day in light airs and on the topic of drainage 😀 doing a bit today extending a pipe taking water away from the garage which will flow out into the trees, earth very dry and powdery now, been quite a dry spell here in Kerry but have done a lot of work over the years also draining the place including diverting a drain that was taking water off the road into the site, I made a series of streams and ponds to take the water and it also takes the water from the roof of the house using gravity and the slope of the land, all surrounded by trees soaking up the water so a win win situation for both us and nature. A lot of work but I enjoyed it and got me through the recession and Covid, could actually do with some rain here to fill up the ponds but looking dry enough for a few days yet.

Enjoying a coffee now surrounded by birdsong, might have a snooze.😏

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Doing very well in Kerry. Some high cloud but plenty of sunshine too, thought it got up around 17C but got a high of 16C on the station out here near the coast, gentle NW'ly keeping temps down a bit, grand day and a great Bank Holiday Weekend. Did well in Kerry airport today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy cloud all day. Temp about 13/14C.

No chance of cutting the lawn following the biblical thunderstorms over the last few days. It's been cut twice this year. Good riddance to April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy and cold here in carrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Exceptional evening in Galway. A very pleasant weekend overall. Just lovely. You can nearly hear the grass and leaves growing too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Robwindstorm

At last, a summers day in Meath, warm and dry. Meteorite, your teasing us with powder dry clay, ours in Meath could be described as marsh. Good drainage work the old manual way. Just a little tip, keep a rough diagram where pipes are laid for future digging, there won't be a track of where you laid them in a couple of years. Is that a timber pillar of a pergola I see. I did a small covered one during my covid project. Roll on the summer guys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I mustn't be the only person in Meath who has a swamp Garden. Just goes to prove how rotten a Spring this has been with 9 continuous weeks of almost daily deluges. The ditches near my house are also all waterlogged, some of them full to the brim of water. There is still water flowing down both sides of my lane after the thunderstorm deluges over the weekend.

Today was the first day in a long time where there wasn't any rainfall over a 24 hour period. If tomorrow holds dry i'm going to see can I attempt to cut the lawn without the tractor mower sinking into the mud/lawn. Hopefully the garden won't look like there was a Woodstock 92 style festival by the time i'm finished cutting the lawn.

The dead giveaway for poor drainage is when it doesn't stand up to heavy showers or deluges. It just means the water has nowhere to go or it's compacted to the point that it can't drain naturally. Trust me, I've been down this road with my garden. Soak pits, gravel drains and the introduction of lots of organic material will fix most drainage issues. A bit of digging and a few bags of gravel is all it takes. French drains if you have bigger issues. Made a huge difference to my garden which I can cut now nearly all year round and the kids can play in from March to November. The weather is the weather, your garden doesn't have to be a swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Artificial grass lads ftw

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd rather have a concrete yard than artificial grass as they are both about as beneficial to nature as each other. An astro turf "lawn" uses vast amounts of plastic, it does nothing for the environment and it kills the soil beneath. It also has a massive carbon footprint. It has absolutely no wildlife benefits. It needs to washed and vacuumed from time to time. On a warm sunny day, it will burn the feet off you if you walk barefoot on it. You will need to replace it after not too many years as it wears out. It's fake. There are so many negatives and I can't think of any real tangible positives with regards to nature and the environment.........I would regard any positives that benefit the fake grass owner as selfish positives and therefore I would not be inclined to include those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Well my artificial grass should last at least 20 years, think about how much petrol you're going to have to use to cut the lawn in that time.

I've turned my swamp garden into a better surface than croke Park, on top of that no more spraying weeds, no more lawnmowers and no more muck, it's fantastic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Robwindstorm

You may get the lawnmower out Gonzo, more deluges on the way. I have to do mine today with a push lawnmower. I cut down on an area of one lawn by planting a few small trees and mowing paths through them and leaving a wild meadow. You might have to get the shovel out like meteorite or get crocodiles for your swamp. On a weather note, is may, June and July summer months meterlogically or is it June, July and August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

yep a dry day today and tomorrow and then back to the deluges. Friday and Saturday potentially look like a repeat of the weekend just gone with frequent intense showers that could be quite thundery and temperatures in the upper teens so feeling warm in any sunshine. Following week looks fairly wet throughout.

I'm going to hold out 1 more day for the garden to dry further and cut the lawn tomorrow, this would only be my 3th cut of the year so far with such a washout Spring up to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

A dry spell in Kerry Meteorite??🤯 Now I reckon I'm fairly close to where you are and while the weather is certainly a lot drier than it was I'd hardly call it a dry spell. It rained a bit Saturday afternoon while I was trying to do some outside painting. Not much in fairness, but enough to disrupt my job. It rained again Sunday morning and again intermittently today. Light rain but still rain. Did we get a few dry days on the trot last week? We may have gotten two or three, can't fully remember but I'd call a dry spell two dry weeks.😄 As someone pointed out, our perceptions really do vary widely. Fab photos by the way, I'd say you're out the country whereas I'm closer to town. Maybe we get more rain in here.😄

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭US3

"Ireland weather: The hottest counties this week as Met Eireann forecast soaring temperatures"

Interesting headline on RSVPLive.ie I didnt see anything about soaring temperatures from met

Temperatures this week will be average to slightly above average, generally 13 to 17C, not exactly soaring temperatures. A few places could get 18 or 19C if there is decent sunshine, but this isn't exactly soaring temperatures for beginning of May. We can get up to 25C at this time of the year under the right conditions and we are a long way from that.

As for May well the models are indicating a fairly unsettled and average first half of May in terms of temperature and it could be cool at times. The second half of May could have a better chance of higher pressure and dryer conditions but we shall see.

Going to finally cut the lawn today as after today we look to be going back into a prolonged spell of wet weather over the next 10 to 14 days and a continuation of what has been a very wet and unsettled Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Heard a lot of people mentioning glorious and beautiful and amazing weather at the weekend in Ireland. I didn’t experience any of that but I’m in Barcelona today and it is actually what I call glorious beautiful blue skies low humidity and temps in the low 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Enjoy it KSE! You missed no amazing or beautiful or glorious weather here last weekend. Now it was quite pleasant and mild enough to be comfortable doing outdoor jobs and Monday was nice, but certainly nothing to rave about. And it's only gone downhill since, as today in Kerry is very gloomy and windy. Ireland is for working and earning, Spain is for enjoying lovely weather.😎😍

The weekend was a washout with plenty of thunder and lightning, certainly wasn't glorious but it was interesting.

• Advertisement

Weekend was lovely down in cork for once, rather then up the country, we had enough misery for the last few months!

Cloudy start this morning but brightened up as the day went on, warm enough in the sun but a strong cool breeze so couldn't sit out in it, but sun is sun and regardless of the warmth, just genuinely makes you feel better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement