Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,243 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Might be how its configured or need a re-install or a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Might be a specific bug around Health connect and syncing with other services not sure, but it's definitely a known issue, check the app store reviews, its full of pixel users reporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭pandabat

I don't have the Withings app so it wasn't the drain in my case - oddly I find that, after installing AccuBattery to see if I could trace the issue, my battery use started levelling off itself. Whether it was an app update or some AI battery magic on the phone itself, I don't know 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's strange the way users have different issues as I can't fault the battery one bit, I'll get home from work and the battery would still be over 50% and now still have 28% that's after leaving for work at 6.30am on 100%.

My problem is poor signal on Vodafone, was in the 3 arena last weekend and had absolutely no coverage whatsoever, where my partner had 5g and she's also on the Vodafone network. I tried turning on/off aeroplane mode and restarting phone numerous times but nothing changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm on the Betas and my battery was totally sh1t the last while. Down to 75% after checking emails in bed in the morning. Just took a 13mb update that does something to the modems so hoping that'll resolve it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Welcome to Android 14... 🤔

Just got the notification to update to UPB1.230309.014 (beta 1)

Is this okay for a daily driver or should I wait until beta 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you need to ask then theres no point in being in the Beta program... Theres a chance it will make your phone less usable, so if it's a daily driver, as you siad then don't bother. Put it on a beater if you're interested in bug finding...

I was only asking to drive conversation!

I always beta test Android, have done since Eclair.

I was just not sure if this was initial offering, one where radio's might not work etc!

To answer my own question, these aren't Developer Previews, but public Beta's, so should be fine :)

For me there are no features I care enough about to try the beta.

https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-beta-1-here-join-the-beta-program/

Are you enrolled already Flinty?

I got the notification, so it will install overnight while charging, but as long as we don't reboot it'll stay as is!

Yeah, there isn't much changes yet and I was on the latest QPR3 beta anyway, so even less new :)

• Advertisement

No. Though I have a pixel.

I'm on a phone forum and they always forensically test the latest beta's. So I hear about the details without the pain of trying it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

After all the problems with my Pixel lately I've decided it needs to go back to Google for repair.

Only their own website just sends me in a redirect loop to start the RMA process and nobody will help me from Google despite attempts.

If I go to the Google Store, where I bought my phone from and go to the support section, I'm taken to the following page: https://support.google.com/store/answer/6160400?hl=en-IE&ref_topic=12229221&sjid=17447093061596473230-EU

It then has a link which is to https://store.google.com/repair/

That in turn redirects me to: https://store.google.com/regionpicker

Which then directs me to the home page where I started and round and around again.

Honestly, why is is so bloody hard to book a device for repair. :(

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You could maybe try Fonfix in Sandyford, they do warranty repairs.

https://www.fonfix.ie/products/warranty%20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

A lot of people seem to be noticing battery issues... I find around 18 months is when batteries start to degrade. Had it replaced on my Nexus 6p, and 4 XL at that age. I upgraded my 2XL around that time but the battery was definitely on its way out too. Starting to notice reduced battery life on my 6 Pro now too.

Most phone batteries start to degrade by then.

Also OS updates often have new features which consumer more power on older devices.

When we could replace batteries I never found the replacements to last that long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've gone out of my way to look after the battery after having numerous phones prior to this where the battery has gone to shít after 18-24 months. I charge it to generally 85% in the morning and I'm still getting 5-6 hours screen on time from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's mine since coming off the charger around 7.30 this morning.

5 hours 15 minutes screen on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Any good deals currently on this phone?

If you are getting a full day, from waking to going to bed does it really matter.

My pixel is about 27 months old, I've noticed the battery life has declined a bit lately. Mine came off the charger at 2am its about 23% now but I didn't use it much today. About 3hrs onscreen, 19hrs on idle. On a day with heavy use, especially video, if I'm on the train etc, it can need a top up when I get home, before heading out again. But with a fast charger 5~10 mins top up will last the evening. Which is why I got a faster charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Advertisement

4a5G. We have a few other pixels but they are heavier users and tend to charge at random. I realize the 6/6 pro will use more battery being higher end phones.

Even with other brands I find battery starts to dip after two years. But the kids get our old phones they seem to manage ok. That said I started only buying phones (Xiaomi, Motorola) with 4000-5000 mAh a few years back. That said one of the kids still uses a 3a with 3000 mAh won't switch too something better. Think they like the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Ifixit do sell a genuine pixel 6 battery:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+6+Pro+Battery+Replacement/148769

I'm 100% a believer in replacing a battery around 18-24 months in.

It's normally fairly easy, a hair dryer and some screws.

I wouldn't be doing it while it's less than 2 years old and still under warranty. You'll probably also lose any waterproofing your phone has, as well as voiding the warranty.

The reality is that battery life doesn't drop off anything like what people make out in the first few years. It's usually a result of software rather than the actual battery degradation. Start off with a full factory reset and only install the apps you use on a daily basis. Most people would see a dramatic improvement in battery life.

I think the occasional restarting the phone helps too.

I got a crack in mine 4a5G last summer. Digitiser working fine. Seems uneconomical to repair, as despite reports otherwise I don't think you can replace just the glass. I think by the point you wish to change the battery in a 6, you could probably justify selling it and buying a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The reality is that battery life doesn't drop off anything like what people make out in the first few years. It's usually a result of software rather than the actual battery degradation. Start off with a full factory reset and only install the apps you use on a daily basis. Most people would see a dramatic improvement in battery life.

That's not true in my experience. In every case it was clear that the battery was knackered. Factory reset did nothing, and also there were other symptoms besides reduced battery time such as shutting down long before battery was drained (still 50% indicated charge left in some cases), and also the OS not being able to read the battery charge state in the case of the 4XL.

If it's under 2 years and you have major battery degradation that is actual battery degradation, this is a defect and it would be replaced under warranty. Most people would still have around 90% battery capacity after a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Very true, factory reset does wonders like that way you had to re-install windows98 every year or so. (not sarcastic)

Android has become very bloaty. Even stock android.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I got through to Google who have sent me a box for RMA returns under warranty.

Has to go to Poland and will take up to four weeks. Shocking that they don't have a repair centre in UK or Ireland and the time length is way out of line with fellow manufacturers.

There's a lot I like about my Pixel, especially the UI and the camera, but honestly there's also a lot that Google need to do. Just pulled the trigger on the Galaxy S23 Ultra.

Don't rule out coming back to Pixel in the future, but there's still rough edges Google need to iron out before I'd come back, I'd need better battery life, faster charging.

Advertisement