Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opel v Vauxhall

• 29-04-2023 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Tell me this - why do Opel's perform notably better in the NCT than Vauxhalls?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Generally, Vauxhalls are made on the same production lines.

Vauxhalls are imported from the UK, where they use a lot of salt on the roads. Opels are local where we do not use to use any salt on the road, but that is changing.

Rust is one problem. Now maintenance might be another problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only true when the testers wear their tin foiled hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spark_tank

Opel are certainly consistently better, the stats are all there for anyone to see.

'Steering and Suspension' and 'Suspension Test' look to be the significant differences between Opel and Vauxhall but Opel outperforms Vauxhall in most areas.

It does differ by model though - on Astras 'Braking Equipment' and 'Brake Test' perform much better when there's an Opel badge on the front rather than a Vauxhall badge while Corsas show little difference in these areas.

The use of road salt in the UK may well play a big factor here, as mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Opel here may be bought new and therefore kept better by owners. Vauxhalls are invariably used when imported with sketchier histories. Also I think Vauxhalls here are usually bought by people with very little interest in cars, on a budget and just want a set of wheels. Purely speculative of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Youll have a lot of 4 year old and 6 year old Opels doing NCT, and not nearly as many Vauxhalls of that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Makes sense. When looking at 2017 to 2019 cars, there are 600 Opels for sale and only 125 Vauxhalls

You'll have a lot more Opels of every age. I'm not sure why that's relevant though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

BORING BORING

Because the percentage of 4/6 year old Opels is higher, the pass rate should be higher.

17% of 4 year old cars fail, but 56% of Vauxhalls fail. I think it’s also because Vauxhalls that get imported here tend to be diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Ah the days of Irish Opels in poverty spec with their steel wheels and wind down windows vs the Vauxhall with its alloys, rear electric windows and fancier trim.

many factors, but I think it’s more to do with people on a tight budget just buying very cheap sketchy Vauxhall cars and importing them here.

Wasn't there a time when both brands were sold in Ireland and UK ? I am talking about maybe 70/80s ?

I'm comparing like with like.

2017 Opels have a higher pass rate than 2017 Vauxhalls.

2016 Opels have a higher pass rate than 2016 Vauxhalls.

2015 Opels have a higher pass rate than 2015 Vauxhalls.

I could stay going down through the years, it's very consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

Id say there are far more vauxhalls in border regions which have worse roads which might lead to the suspension related failures you mention

who cares

this is your third post in the thread, maybe you care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Opels haven't had the greatest reputation over the last few decades. Many would even dismiss them as a brand worth considering. Vauxhalls, which are basically just shittier Opels, are just third or fourth hand UK imports that make up some of the crappiest and least maintained cars on Irish roads. Cheap or broke people tend to buy Vauxhalls to drive them into the ground which probably affects the NCT stats. Nobody dreams of owning a Vauxhall either. Just seems like a brand with no place at all.

Post edited by coolbeans on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Dont post in this thread again. If you don't care about a thread then don't view it.

Advertisement