Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Tyler and Neville should genuinely never be on commentary together. I don't actually think Tyler cares one way or the other about Liverpool, as it should be, but he panders to Neville.

'Lucky Liverpool, plucky Tottenham'.

Also, I'm fascinated as to how Neville can claim 'there's nothing to see here' with the official's elbow to Robbo a few weeks ago, but is calling for action for Klopp for the fourth official nonsense. At least try to be consistent in your outrage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tierney - always, always is in the middle of big decisions v Liverpool, nearly always, getting them wrong - more so than Any other ref, this cannot be by accident.

What a way to win a game. 3 up, 3 all, that fella getting the 3rd and 90 seconds later Jota doing what he does best.

Klopp reacting the way he does. The sheer passion he has - unreal.

If we finish 5th, given how horrendous we've been for the majority of the season, it will have been a good season.

Add 3 or 4 players, 1 or 2 from Southampton maybe, get rid of another 4 or 5 and we should be in a good enough position for next season.

while you're largely right here, this season has actually been a shambles from a planning point of view.

we waited for our no.1 target, Jude Bellingham, assuming we could get through the season. as the season has gone on, nobody seems to have foreseen that players had approached the edge of the cliff in terms of their performance (Henderson, Fabinho), and others have waned enough for it to be a real issue (VVD, Matip, Jota until recently, Trent), to the point that instead of being able to spunk over 100m on Bellingham when Dortmund were ready, we now have to make at least 4 good signings, thus probably losing the Bellingham race.

so this has not been a good season. the club has not planned well, including Klopp and his coaches, and we're now playing catchup after being in a position of strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If City win the CL and the league then 5th will get CL.

Saying that I'd like to go for the EL and actually win it. It's the only trophy Klopp is missing with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just checked, there's only five places if CL (or EL) winners finish outside the top 4

"If a club win the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League and finish in the top four, their qualification for the UCL through their league position is not transferred to another team"

I'm glad of that, I'd hate to have any conflicting feelings about City winning the CL, the thought makes me sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I thought it was only possible if a team outside the top 4 won the Europa League or Champions League. In the 2024/25 season England will have 5 teams in the Champions League and it will be theoretically possible for 7 teams to qualify if two teams were to win the top European trophies and finish outside the top 5 in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah here, where have you been the last 20 years.

There weren't five English teams in the 2019/2020 CL just because Liverpool won it in 2018/2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The mental thing about Tierney (apart from him being an absolutely terrible ref) is that he gets so many Liverpool games.

I'm completely bemused by this narrative that Skipp's challenge was only a yellow while Jota's was a straight red. How many reds are given for a high foot? It's nearly always a yellow card unless it's a bad one with significant force. Like Mane against City a few years ago. Skipp landed studs up on Diaz's ankle. Could easily have broken his ankle. Just because he got a slight glancing touch on the ball first doesn't mean you can follow through onto an opponent's ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Tbf, we were lucky. It was an awful performance. After Salah's pen in the 15th min, our next shot on target was the 93rd. Shocking stuff. They also hit the post twice.

People can complain about Tierney all they like, and what Klopp did was dumb (and him pulling up was funny), but we didn't deserve the win, we were dreadful.

Midfield is obviously an area we need to strengthen, but starting to get concerned about Robbo, obviously RB is problematic and VVD, Matip and Konate have all looked ropey at various points this season. Hoping a solid midfield helps with defence, but it's somewhat worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Skipp got the ball so that has apparently saved him from even given away a free kick. Jota also got the ball but people want a red card. There was a high boot in the United game yesterday when the Villa player went for an overhead kick but kicked Shaw in the head, free kick was awarded and nothing more when it was more dangerous than Jota but there has been zero out cry about it.

If it wasn't Jota who got the winner there would not have been this out rage from everyone else.

• Advertisement

An interesting article on the forthcoming pre-season preparation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tierney has reffed Liverpool more than any other club, so it's not right, must be a reason, and considering all his mistakes, why is is always given the Liverpool game more than anyone else.

Mane at United, clean through on goal, end of first half, 1 minute added time, Mane is through! Tierney blows up fast, with seconds of the one minute added, that is deliberate, no excuse. It was the same with Kane's red, clear red, everyone agreed it was a red, ex refs, ex players, everyone, but not Tierney.

Then there is the countless fouls on Salah, where Salah is getting shirt pulled, slammed to the ground like it's Rugby, and if he breaks free from these assaults to actually win the ball, Tierney will blow up and give a foul against Salah. It's all so obvious, Tierney is human, and so he can't be unbiased,so it's up to others to see that there is a history of strange calls against Liverpool, so best to give him another game, what is the big deal, why cause issues, Tierney has a liking for United, that he has to hide to keep his job, everyone knows this. And it's United we are chasing down for 4th, and Tierney done his best yesterday to help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm not sure if I would actually agree with much of what is said about Tierney and him possibly being biased.

He's just useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

His mask slipped when he blew up for HT, when Mane was clean through on goal, 20 seconds into an added minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

You think finishing 5th will be a good season really??

It won't cover up the fact we've been absolutely crap for the vast majority of the season and how we need a huge clear out of players,plus how our €80 million pound striker can't even get a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would view 5th as a resuced season rather than a failed one. Brighton shouldn't be dismissed yet so no guarantees. It's less divisive instead of saying a failure. It has been really inconsistent with a smattering of good results to dreadful results.

Whatever we all decide was the cause, everyone has an opinion on that, we can all see the squad needs serious thinning and fresh blood. No arguments there.

Nunez is playing in a team that was dysfunctional so not getting enough supply. But, he should have more goals given the opportunities he did get. I'll give him a pass myself until middle of next season. He is not the only one that was poor so it's too early to call it on the new guy yet. For the record, I don't rate Jota despite the recent goals. I would have him gone before Nunez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Challenging for the league title until the final game of the season and reaching the champions league final to finishing fifth and getting hammered in the second round of the CL by the tram you lost to in the previous year final is a complete and utter failure of a season. There's no other way to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The season has been a near complete shambles from start to finish, punctuated with the odd highlight (United, Bournemouth at home) and many lowlights ( United and Bournemouth away, Leeds and Forest at home). Massive improvement needed to get top 4 next season as United and Newcastle will both strengthen and improve, Chelsea likely to be better ( can't get much worse) and while I think Arsenal will struggle to reach the heights of this season next year, they will still be serious top 4 contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If there is one thing we ought to have learned about United over the last decade, there is absolutely zero guarantee they will improve next season.

Same with Chelsea, they will probably be better as you suggest, but there is a lot to sort out there before they threaten the top of the table.

Either way, we have to get our own house in order first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You think finishing 5th would be a poor season - given the way we played, given the results we've had, given how a lot of our players went downhill drastically etc

Who said it would cover up how absolutely crap we've been?

Who said it would cover up the huge clear out?

Only you it seems.

Would you prefer 7th?

The dog in the street knows a clear out is coming and our midfield needs major attention. I'm pretty sure Klopp knows this too.

A couple of months ago, 5th seemed completely out of reach, so yeah, I'll be happy if we can attain it.

Not sure what would make you happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The way we played is why we finished 5th. It was a shocking season. We we're within 20 minutes of winning the league last season, and we were the better team in the CL final, the drop off had been unreal.

Last season took more out of the team than what we thought. The drop off has been shocking - so poor in fact that 7th or 8th was a real possibility, if we can finish in 5th in a 'shocking season' - I would see that as a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A shocking season a few years ago meant we were around mid table. Shows how far the club have come.

Exactly. Next season will depend on who we get in, how quick they gel and hopefully no disastrous loss of form by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Not since Mane got one against city that time a few seasons ago.

• Advertisement

Liverpool haven't finished below eighth since getting promoted in the early sixties, in fact we rarely drop outside the top 6, finishing 5th ( which is not even guaranteed) is shocking, considering where we were at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd be pissed off if we finished 8th given our current position.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a bad season.

Top 4 would of been the minimum I expected so this season is a failure.

Still very confident if the midfield is addressed, we will be right back up there. Heaps of talent and quality in this squad still.

The problem we have though is that City, Utd, Newcastle and Chelsea, to varying degrees, don't really work to much of a budget when it comes to their transfer kitties, if they need it.

I love the way we do transfers, when we get it right. we trust in our players, and we wait for the right person. it was a brilliant way to do things for 4 or 5 years. But it leaves no room for error.

Pretty much every other team we're competing with has room for error. Hell, even Arsenal, now that their stadium is properly paying dividends, are now spunking cash. Don't get me wrong, we spend money, but the pressure is always on to get it right. This season we ended up getting it wrong because we hadn't foreseen the cliff-edge for certain players, and so the rebuild is now a lot bigger than was previously planned. That will have knockons. It means we have to get multiple signings correct, not just one (which Bellingham would've been).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The media, the fans, everyone has spent all year complaining about the refs...but when Klopp does it they can't jump quick enough to get their "Always the victims" shouts in.

I'm all for a touchline ban for Klopp getting in the 4th official's face but the selective nature of how they view these incidents drives me mad. Robertson getting elbowed by a referee is no big deal but Klopp shouting at one means Liverpool should be docked points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

By the way only last week David Moyes suggested post-game that the refs are biased in favour of Liverpool, there was no inquest into his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

TBH I think Klopp should get a lengthy ban for his antics.

I really detest the barracking of the 4th official that goes on in football - the vast majority of the time they have absolutely no control over the decisions being made, they just happen to be stood closest to the manager that wants to go off on a rant.

Klopp has done this before and doesn't seem to be learning his lesson - even his 'apology' yesterday was very mealy-mouthed.

In summary, Klopp - seems like a great guy and is a fantastic manager - Liverpool are very lucky to have him but he needs to stop shouting in the faces of 4th officials and kop himself on a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

To be fair I'm always hearing people complain about Arteta or Guardiola when they fire up. I've no affiliation with any club in the PL and Klopp is a genius but when he started whinging at a reporter about scheduling when the guy has nothing to do with it he started turning me off him a bit and he has form for this behaviour. If the ref really had it in for Liverpool Klopp and Jota would both got a red in that game. It's a game wide issue. Just get on with it but Klopp deserves a ban in my neutral position.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I would have no issue with Klopp being given a touchline suspension though it is ridiculous how they cannot make things transparent and easy to implement.

If you leave the technical area it is a booking, the ref can remind them before the game.

If the keeper blatantly time wastes then book him, not wait till the 92nd min after he has repeated the offence 10 times. Ironically this type of referring puts more pressure on the ref as it riles the home crowd.

If a player aggressively protests a decision, book him, repeat it then book him again and send him off.

Apply the above simple rules and both players and managers will quicken improve their behaviour, also it is transparent and everyone will be assessed in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

100% Correct. Most stupid, dumbest thing you could do, no money would compensate for doing that th official job, you have little or no say in the decisions but it's you gets it in the neck from the coaches.

Now, apply the rule consistently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'd say Klopp could be looking at 3 matches in the stands from this one and he can have no arguments really. Regardless of the rights or wrongs in these situations you simply cannot get in the faces of the officials in such manner. It can't and shouldn't be tolerated...I mentioned on here before I used to ref (both GAA and football) and I simply gave it up as you get absolutely noting from it but abuse.

I now spend most of my time on the side-lines at my kids matches and I think things have got worse since I was involved. Since we got back from Covid, we have had 7 underage games either called off prior due to ref strikes/shortages, or abandoned entirely (1 a very serious incident against a ref at an u11 match!!) and the other the ref had had enough and walked, that was an u13 game!!!

I love Klopp but he’s way off on this one. Let’s not forget he’s the manager of a side that was 3 up after 15 minutes and has no one but himself and his 11 players on the pitch to blame for been left in the position they were in on 93 minutes. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭ratracer

But, but …… PGMOL were very quick off the mark to say they’d listened back to the audio and Tierney had done nothing wrong??

Or is it because he didn’t send Jota off ( not to mention the Skipp tackle in the first half))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Refs will not ref every week but will be in the VAR room or be 4th official which he is doing for 2 games this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

No harm if Klopp gets a touch line ban if we don't get Tierney as referee for our games in the future. I can't see Tierney been give a Liverpool game in a while (even if they say this will not have an impact). Now, if we can just have the same for Anthony Taylor and we're laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very impressed with Curtis Jones lately, looks like hes put his head and want's to be part of the team. Making the right passes, anticipating the ball, he could have a future yet in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Supposed to be the new jersey for next season

Seems the usual generic Nike stuff

I haven't bought any of the Nike ones yet tbh

Klopp acted like a jackass to the 4th official, deserves a lengthy ban, wouldn't disagree with him getting touchline ban for the rest of the season. He should focus more on how the team is performing during the game than getting involved with the officials, they are only human and will remember any clashes with Klopp. I don't know who that 4th official is but, if he refs Liverpool in the future how likely is he to give the benefit of the doubt to Liverpool after what Klopp did.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I haven't liked any of the Nike jerseys whereas New Balance rarely got it wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Some of the Nike training gear is nice but haven't got any of that either

I love a lot of Nike's stuff anyway just not the Liverpool stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

So the massively unprofessional comment was the ref telling Klopp that he'd have given him a red but the 4th official recommended a yellow?

Not too surprising PGMOL came out so fast in denial

Advertisement