Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭patnor1011

We are creating our own headache paying intermediaries and burning up funds which could have been used on something different. While we still use the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

yes the investors are generally not Irish and are using an Irish entity for tax planning. It would still impact the economy as financial services is a large employer and it has potential to impact banks as they lend to funds etc.

80% of shadow banking are just vehicles to package up debt and sell to investors or are investment vehicles. They play an important role in the financial system in providing an active market. What scares people is the fact that they use derivatives. 80% of derivatives are pure vanilla forward fx & IRDs. It’s the 20% of both that are the unknown and where the risk is lying. It’s also where the returns are and most people will have an exposure if they have any investments or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Thanks, learning a good bit more here. Another question if I may. Has the hiking of IR's in the last year or so made this a more precarious industry. If I am looking to invest money is it not easier to take the 5% I can now get in some markets than have to invest in something less solid etc.? I would have thought the flows going in should be going down substantially if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Yes and no… it depends on the investor and the risks they are willing to take. it all boils down to fear and greed. The two things that move markets. When rates were low investors took risks chasing yield. (Greed) when rates rise they hear about investors getting burned and invest in safer assets as a result (fear).

Take for example an investor that purchased shares in a bank During the low interest rate environment they invested in bank A who were posting higher profit than other banks and as a result the share price kept rising due to other investors also chasing yield and not stopping to ask what is bank A doing that the other banks are not doing and what risks are bank A taking.

Interest rates rise which for a bank normally means more profit as they can get away with increasing their net interest margins. Bank A doesn’t benefit from the interest rate rises because of the risk they took on when rates were low other banks start showing a healthy profit and the share price of bank A collapse and investor that was also chasing yield gets burned.

The same happens with funds with investors chasing yield and investing in funds with the highest returns without understanding the risks. Rising rates generally expose the risks that were taken to get these higher returns. And yes these investors get gripped by fear and invest in a safer asset such as a money market fund instead so less money invested in other type of funds.

An investor that did their homework and invested in a fund with lower returns and lower risk is now benefiting from higher returns as rates rise they will still invest and may even invest more as their are more options to invest without taking on to much risk. They are the ones that generally do better over the long term and suffer less losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The strength or weakness of the US dollar plays a role in the global economy. A strong dollar causes problems for countries with a lot of dollar debt. A strong dollar works well for multinationals (especially US multinationals) based in Ireland. The US dollar strengthened against the euro when the FED started hiking interest rates before the ECB began hiking interest rates. Now both central banks are hiking interest rates and the US dollar is weakening against the euro. Why is it weakening you might ask. Because the FED keeps monitizing the problems arising from it`s hiking of interest rates. Of course, the ECB will do the same as soon as it`s interest rate hijes start causing problems.

But, due to this monetizing of problems, both the US dollar and the Euro, and of course Sterling will weaken on the world stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SummerK

JP Morgan takes over First Republic Bank https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/01/first-republic-bank-failure.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Forced acquisition appears to be the lessons learned from 07/08.

No bank shall "fail".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Plenty of banks have failed and collapsed. It's just better to find a buyer. And when the system was threatened (e.g. 2008) it made sense to lend to the banks rather than let the system collapse.

If we look at e.g. Credit Suisse, on paper it's fundamentals were relatively okay, unfortunately it became the victim of contagion and panic (mainly due to it's optics)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think it's obvious that they're forcing a buyer more than finding one.

I'm not pretending to predict anything.

Look at Bank of America. Forced to buy Merrills in 08 and now Merrills is BoAs most profitable area.

But its certainly showing all is not rosey.

Another FED increase on Wednesday.

Intriguing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,399 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe we should be nationalising some of these banks under such conditions, as according to some, potential buyers are also engaging in highly questionable activities!

• Advertisement

...its common for financial institutions that end up in a bail out/insolvency situations, have in fact been engaging in high risk, and regularly illegal activities, fraud etc, and according to some, the institutions that end up purchasing such institutions, are also up to no good.....

According to you, there are systematically fraudulent banks that are being bailed out by fraudulent entities?

Recent examples?

no, from respected sources such as bill black....

...black has always been outspoken about these kind of outcomes and the behaviors that lead to such, and the fact, we have a very strong unwillingness to do anything about it!

So your answer is no, and for my sins I'm not spending an hour of my life watching that :)

SVB got into trouble due to interest rates, and First Republic looks like collateral damage from the contagion (plus some mismanagement). Not aware of any systemic fraud being the culprit.

...as always, dont worry about it so, all is fine within the global financial system!

....black has been banging this drum for decades now, he certainly didnt hold back during our own banking enquiry either!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bill Black's only interest is in getting more speaking time for Bill Black.

The bank guarantee and all the other decisions that were taken here enabled a quick end to the rot and certainty to begin to move forward.

When Ireland bounced back, it did so quickly and sharply and with the guarantee never actually being called in. Now we're in the top five most productive economies in the World, with increasing wealth and full employment.

Nothing William Black suggested might be a risk of the decisions taken ever actually happened.

His opinion of the single currency as a 'disaster' when it's firmly the number 2 reserve currency and the most stable store of value of all major currencies, is hilarious. The ECB has grown its balance sheet 10 times over since 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ireland bounced back... 🤣

We are still barely servicing interest on bailout loans and will continue to do so for generations.

There's been a pandemic, war, inflation, energy crisis, a recent mini-banking crisis. No one is saying all is fine.

I was simply asking for examples of systemic fraud you were referring to, esp in relation to recent events. To the best of my knowledge, SVB or First Republic problems weren't as a result of "fraud" nor were their subsequent acquisition by other banks.

Even more amazing when you consider we are up there with the wealthiest per capita countries in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you take out the impact of IP, aircraft leasing and foreign domiciled PLCs routing tax through here - our GNI per capita is around 46k. Still wealthy in global rankings, but nowhere near up there as "wealthiest in the world".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭brickster69

Must of been some cracking investments the ECB made in the last decade or so. Amazing performance turning 1 trillion into 7.7 trillion.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭893bet

I work full time, and farm part time.

If you ignore income from my job though I have **** all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

All payments due on all public debts have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You are proposing a large increase in public capital expenditure.

I agree with you.

But I also state that I'm not sure the supply-side capacity is there to build more hospitals, railways, etc.

None of those factors listed are actually a measure of the irish economy - they are distortions caused by MNCs using tax vehicles here in ireland for booking offshore profits and assets (aircraft, IP).

The CSO recognise this and have a good explainer as to why modified GNI is a thing and what is removed from it and why.

Unless you with your full time job and part time farm know better than the central statistics office as to how to measure Irish economic activity?

...property price inflation is generally omitted from such metrics and statistics, this is ultimately where our problems are, this major omission heavily skews our interpretation of the wellness, or not, of the performance of our economies, we have to start including such metrics, in order to have a more realistic interpretation, as you ll find this is the most serious issue in most peoples lives.....

Property appreciation and depreciation are included in both GDP and GNI figures. It is treated like any other asset class.

Eurozone CPI up .1%

Core CPI down .1%

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Retail sales starting to drop in quite a few countries lately. Germany has the biggest YoY fall since the 50's and yet the stock market keeps flying to the highest point ever.

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement