Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looking forward to away game to Drogheda this afternoon. Very right from 4th to 8th, a win would give us a cushion.

Really enjoyed the second half of the Cork city game, hope shels can play for 90 minutes tonight! Enjoyed the Smith, Moylan , Hakiki axis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

According to a podcast I listened to a few days ago no other side in the league has a 2 game weekend like this even once this season, but this is the second time in a month we are faced with back-to-back away games. Should've had the bank holiday Monday games at home both times, surely. Hopefully the club inform the FAI so it doesn't happen in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cork were away in Dublin Friday and again tonight. Pats and Derry were both away twice on the first Monday weekend of the season.

I can see how it’s far from ideal and should be avoided where possible, but the facts from the podcast are also incorrect.

Could've done 30 seconds of research instead of taking the word of some random lad I suppose! Shouldn't be too difficult for the FAI to avoid situations like this in future though so hopefully the clubs affected have a word.

I feel like they should just be a bit clever and make sure that it’s at least 1 of the closer away trips if it has to be that way. Obviously some teams have more close away games than others and that’s ultimately just circumstance.

• Advertisement

Class atmosphere in shels terrace end here.

Takes me 25 mins to get to shels away to drogheda and over an hour to get to our home games!

Post edited by Drumpot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

More rubbish from us. Sligos keeper didn't have a save to make. Neil Doyle is a horrible ref although he did get the sending off correct. Don't know what Eoin Doyle was thinking.

Expected far more from Pats and would've taken a point before kickoff with the injuries we have so delighted with a win. Only took us 13 games to get a clean sheet as well.

Looking back at the Doyle foul it wasn't the worst tackle ever but it was very stupid. I think he was frustrated because he gave away a very silly corner allowing us to waste more time. Maybe a yellow would have been enough.

9 yellows and 1 red in total. Wasn't even a dirty game ffs.

Looked a lot worse there from my angle. Doesn't even look much of a foul from that view, do you have the hackdown of Curtis that was a few minutes before that started a bit of a pushing? Wondering why Curtis was so furious about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Neil Doyle sent off Gary Deegan last Friday night for two yellows.

One was soft and the other wasn't a yellow at all.

Doyle won the ball. Perhaps a yellow these days for loss of control.

But a red is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Wasn't much there either. Fitzgerald tugs his jersey then pushes him down to stop him getting forward. Again probably just the situation being 1 down and he was frustrated. Fitzgerald might have tapped his heel at the start of the clip but can't tell.

Another poor first half for shels , hopefully they raise it in 2nd half like they did against cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭skaface

Piss poor from Waterford today.. Missed a load of chances.. Wexford got one chance and took it, played 10 behind the ball for rest of the game, fair play to them.. Worked their socks off.. Advantage Galway now

Poor enough tackle but not a red. Ref probably should have awarded the free earlier before the lunge.

Weird game in Drogheda. Drogheda battered us until they scored and then completely collapsed almost immediately and we could have easily gone on and won it in the end.

Decent point without any of Boyd, Molloy, Farrell, Leavy, Smith, Coyle or Kane

Decent point for us in the end after a hard ( and heart breaking) game in Oriel on a truly awful pitch.

We have no squad (two teenage keepers and u19s on the bench) and we're part-time. I don't know how we don't get a pen in the first half when Barrett body checks Brennan in the box.

And, of course, we have the ubiquity of our keeper handing over goals/points. His "effort" for the Shels free kick was woeful.

He is easily the worst keeper that I have seen with Drogheda for as far back as I can remember. Awful player.

He wasn’t the only one having problems with his footing to be honest, so my impression was that it might have been something with the pitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think we will survive and Healy will stay - time will tell.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He got us out of the First Division and largely has the same squad - he's not a magician fella. Who can do a better job?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've seen Cork twice. Once at the Cross first game were they were poor but that could be excused. Tonight they were dirt poor against us even though we didn't actually play all that well.

The table doesn't lie and 9 in 13 isn't good enough. If it were up to me the manager is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well that's our record run done and dusted. We have an awful inability to win in Longford. We were poor but still absolutely dominated the game, goal line clearances, good saves and blocks a plenty kept us at bay. JC needs to pull out a big performance Friday against Waterford now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rovers different class.

Totally outplayed us tonight. We are miles behind them and 2nd in the league would be a great achievement for us. I think we might struggle to get it. We seem to have gone backwards from last season. Zero tactical nuance tonight, just hit and hope for 90min.

Couldn't even score a cheap penalty.

I think Higgins, tactically, is not good.

Liam Buckley or Vinny Perth? Who do you think?

I'd probably go Bucko. He did a good job with us coming in and steadying the ship but I think you need to sign a few in July whoever comes in.

My son just Just noticed on the shels v drogheda highlights that they didn’t show the Moylan header that hit inside post and rolled along the line?! Probably the best chance in the game that wasn’t a goal!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's good they get the highlights out quick, but also means they miss a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have to say I was very impressed with Sligo on Friday night, easily the best team we've played this year so far, and the first to tactically really get the better of us. Their shape, movement of the ball around the pitch and attacking threat was excellent and they definitely deserved to get something from the game as I felt we never really got going and looked sluggish all night, easily one of our worst performance of the year (this and the 2 putrid games v Shels) so delighted to get the win given the circumstances. If Sligo can maintain that they'll be up near the top without question. I wonder though, was the excellent surface at Tallaght a factor as they looked far better than anytime i've seen them play on the cabbage patch of a pitch in the showgrounds. If so its a shame for them as they deserve better and a good surface up there would be a huge bonus for them and the way they're playing.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

The showgrounds pitch is always sh*te from February - May but when it gets a bit of sun it's always grand from then on, and yeah the pitch has hindered us. Everyone has been second guessing themselves as they pass the ball around because a bobble might catch them out and it's the same with the wingers trying to dribble with the ball. Good bit of work was done before the UCD game last week and it was the first time the pitch didn't have many bobbles letting the team play it quick and confidently without having to worry. Hartmann's first goal would never have happened had that game been played a few weeks earlier. One of the passes in the build up or his dribble into the box would have hit a lump in the pitch and fecked the whole move up.

The Derry and Dundalk pitches are shocking but for different reasons to the showgrounds. We also played well in both those away games because we could keep it on the ground and pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had a feeling that the surface helped with the performance. Be interesting to see now if you can kick on and challenge if the showgrounds pitch improves as you say.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Clancy gone. Slightly surprised as I thought he'd get the next few matches but we've had too many dreadful performances this season. Not sure who is lined up to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Not seeing many good options out there for Pats. I think we need someone with experience, not a rookie. Vinny Perth or Richard Dunne, big no to either. Would agree that we’ve just had too many bad performances this year. Losing to Rovers and Derry is one thing, not even making a game of it is something else again. Yesterday was p1ss poor, and obviously was the final straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clancy might have resigned. I dont know but it's just not Patrick's style.

I'd also agree; a manager with a little bit more experience is needed. There is a decent enough spine to the team.

Not sure repeating that move would go down well with the fans. Doherty has done very well with Drogs.

Jon Daly has been appointed interim manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

By mutual consent according to radio reports this morning.

He's doing a hell of a job and we want him to continue to do so. We'd be probably six point better off, at least, if we had a keeper.

It's a hard one for Pats now. On its face, it's still one of the best jobs in the league. I wonder would they they the UK? It's unlikely that someone like a Danny Cowley or Michael Appleton would be interested but there are lots of good managers over there who might fancy a chance at a pop in Europe?

He did mention on LOI Central recently that he'd love to work full time (preferably with Drogheda). I wouldn't doubt he'd put his name into the hat at least.

I'd say a lot of the candidates for the Bohs job would see this a good opportunity, Richard Dunne, Sean O'Shea et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

JC doing a "great" job in Galway, we'd (I'd) be delighted to let ye have him, for a fee of course.

Would think it would be better for the club if the manager was Irish or someone with genuine interest in the loi.

There is a host of young lads coming through the academy. I'd prefer if they were given a chance in the 1st team ahead of someone that a uk manager may want to bring with him.

There are more players from the uk (& Europe) playing in the league than i can remember. I don't think its good for the St.Patricks (or the league) particularly when some are quite average players.

We want to win but sometimes it's not as important as developing a pathway for academy lads to prosper at the club.

A player like Matty Smith is an obvious exception. He is a real 100%er who would instantly improve any club in the league.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't disagree but who do you get?

If you are looking at experience, then, ironically, Liam Buckley is your man. Who else is there? Martin Russell, Paul Doolin etc? Two of which have already managed Pats!

If you go leftfield, like Drogheda did with Tim Clancy, then Jon Daly is the obvious choice. But you compromise on experience.

The Pats job is an attractive one and you will get interest from the UK. It will be interesting to see who you go for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Any news on Whelans injury?, why did Derry leave him on when he was obviously in pain?

Watching the highlights from last night on YouTube and I see Reale once again made a shocking decision not allowing an advantage for Cork. Same thing he did to Derry. Dreadful.

Wondered the same myself. It didn't look good when he was on his knees banging the ground with his fist, made me think the worst.

No updates today. Hope he's OK, as much for the lad himself as for us. He deserves a bit of luck.

He admitted after the Derry game he made a mistake.

Obviously he isn't learning from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The average age of the Dundalk team against UCD was 22 (Stephen O’Donnell)

drogheda were very unlucky.

Thanks for beating them! We need to keep clear air between us and Cork/UCD.

He got a standing ovation from the Jodi for that.

No idea! But i would have Bucko back in a heartbeat. Not sure how acrimonious his departure was. Was never understanding of those who wanted rid of Liam. Fantastic manger and a decent man.

Silver linings on uk managers: We cant be landed with Lampard!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement