Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You are a class act.....I said something but it didnt really say it but I will get out of it on by using the word semantics

Everyone will think I am clever

Do you know what a democracy is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Anyone know what the story is with the lack of Niall Stanage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

His last tweet is below. It's from 17th October and appears to be Belfast. So can only presume he's on his holidays..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ANyone else hear that he admitted very backhanded that he was wrong re ZERO COVID??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Thanks for that gypsy and it might explain why we've not heard from The Ryan Project in over 6 months, Eamo has pulled the plug on his scientific hysterics :-)  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A very interesting episode today with Mick Clifford discussing the Peter Pringle case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Did it answer why the original conviction was deemed unsafe?

There's something very funny about the stand being sponsored by Ibec at the moment. It goes against what Dunphy would profess his politics to be (although probably indicates that its all about the money baby really)

ok podcast fans (and certain specific interested readers :) ... it's been nearly a year since last episode... whatever happened to: 

- "Long Covid is no joke"

- the Ryan Project experiencing "carcrash-like symptoms" from his bout with Covid

- the "deadly game" that Sweden elected to play with Covid 

C'mon Eamo, let's have Tomas or that football supporter in Sweden back on for a status update on "the science". We don't want those pensioners feeling it's safe to go outside again do we ;-)

I think it isn’t that good anymore. Chris Johns and Niall Stanage on every week pretty much saying the same thing. Stanage is decent if something is happening in the US but the US is a bit dull at the minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The last two football podcasts have been entitled:

27th Feb - Manchester United becoming a force to be reckoned with

6th Mar - Manchester United hype exposed by class and passion of Liverpool

Gave me a chuckle anyway.

Was it just me or did eamon ask the same question about 15 different ways to two contributors on the The Monk is not guilty show?

the question being was the case brought against the Monk unsafe and improper.

I've always assumed that Dunphy is friendly with the Monk, or at the very least sympathetic to him. He's always been much softer in his coverage of him versus the Kinehans

Well in this case, I think it’s true to say that the DPP may have being over zealous in proceeding with a case but on the show it was comical to me how many times eamon asked the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

It is interesting that Eammo’s 17 years in England seem to have had more of an influence on his outlook on life than his 61 years in Ireland. He seems quite obsessed about the goings on over there with the amount of coverage he gives to UK politics via John Kampfner and Chris Johns. They are both excellent contributors but it seems to be ‘the same old same old’ each time.

Is he trying to appeal to a UK audience with the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

In fairness, there's lads in Ireland who have never lived in England and are equally obsessed with them.

I agree with you though that a lot of his content on US and UK I couldn't give a fiddlers about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

A British audience wouldn't take to Eamon's podcast. His unpolished broadcasting style isn't for everyone. We all know who Eamon is and what he is because he has been around forever.

I don't listen to all the episodes he puts out and some of the topics aren't my cup of tea. I think there is value in those Chris Johns/Niall Stanage et al episodes. We're getting an Irish perspective on them and because of the nature of podcasting, there's more depth. When UK and USA issues are covered on daytime Irish radio, they have to be shorter. There are plenty of radio shows and podcasts out there covering Irish issues, so I don't mind that Eamon looks abroad.

Post edited by Tork on

Kieran Cunningham making quite a stretch to compare the dangers of Katie Taylor continuing to fight to the life changing consequences of Muhammad Ali fighting into middle age.

eamon lapped it up of course but the fact that both fighters have had very very different careers in terms of the difficulty level of fights they faced up to to now wasn’t even mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

For the few years I’ve listened to this Dunphy always praised and fawned over his guests. Every journalist was the best journalist, every economist the leader in their field bla bla. Bertie Ahern introduced as almost a God among men

This weeks episode with Diarmuid Ferriter was very different. Talking over each other, raising voices a bit and picking arguments

I love to listen to Diarmuid Ferriter and he makes lots of contributions across Irish radio.

I don’t ever remember a Stand episode like this. Something up with Dunphy this week, there was a bit of agression in this one.

Maybe Dunphy was upset that Michael D slagged off a Dame of the British Empire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I used to listen to The Stand a bit but I gave up when Eamon kept giving a platform to the zero covid frauds.

Can’t say I miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

It was quite spiky alright.

Not sure it came close to the episode with John Waters prior to the abortion referendum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Is Liam Brady done appearing on the podcast? I know he finished with RTE this week, not sure if Eamon's goodbye at the end was for good or see you when the football season starts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wouldn't have thought so, but just listened to the last few seconds again and maybe you're right...

I would have thought he'd still like to contribute to the podcasts and occasional radio bits etc, that it was only the TV stuff he was backing away from. Giles is still at it it and is a fair bit older!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Oh yeah. He had some madman on that wanted total lockdown every time there was a new case. It was v weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

One of the best episodes of a podcast ever

Tbh I don't think that was a particularly spiky episode.

He just asked a question of John Waters, not even a very confrontational one, at the start and Waters completely lost the plot and stormed out shouting and swearing - looking like a total headcase.

me neither, but don't like how he just pretended that none of that ever happened. He terrorised quite a large number of people. Anyway, let's just say I know he knows this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The episode with Diarmuid Ferriter was pretty good.

Dunphy is way out of his depth when he attempts to go toe-to-toe with someone in an argument and Ferriter let him away with absolutely nothing - "I think you're being very emotive" - in the debate and in, my view, absolutely schooled him.

Dunphy was absolutely desperate to get the last word in too, twice he tried to score some points after he appeared to be wrapping it up and twice Ferriter came back, forcing Dunphy to retreat to his avuncular Eamo mode - "Thanks for (heh-heh) indulging me" - to save some face at the close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Towards the end of Ryan's time on the podcast Eamon did start to push back against him a lot more than he had before. So yeah I think he knew he'd been a bit too indulgent. It should also he said though that Ryan was right about a lot of things too.

Advertisement