Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FX Panthera Importing questions

Options
  • 27-04-2023 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I've been going shooting around once a month for the past year at a range with a rental .22 and I've finally decided to buy my own airgun so I can practice weekly without the large rental costs and the slightly lacklustre accuracy of the worn out rental guns. I've already discussed becoming a member and found a suitable safe.

That being said If I'm going to go through what seems to be a very tedious and potentially long process I'd like to purchase an airgun thats as accurate and durable as I can afford, the one I've been eyeing is the FX Panthera, all I can find online is praise for it and in general it seems like the best airgun I can afford.

Problem is I can't find any in stock in Ireland, there are FX MKII's available but from what I can see they count as "Restricted firearms" and come with a bunch of additional redtape.

They're available in Europe for relatively reasonable prices, so I was wondering how should I approach this? Is it more difficult than purchasing a firearm within Ireland?

The other thing I'm wondering is there seems to be magazine restrictions of 10 rounds for rimfire rifles but I can't find anything on Air rifles, the FX Panthera holds 15 pellets, would this be an issue when I'm applying?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Most RFD's will import one for you.

This seems like a "slug" rifle, as opposed to a traditional pellet air rifle.

Plenty other quality accurate air rifles out there, like air arms or weihrauch.

Or a nice precision cz 427 LR?

Magazines can possibly be blanked up to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Why an airgun??? Your really limiting your of what you can do with it. You say for range shooting, so why not a nice 22 lr calibre rifle? Cost will be about the same, only big difference is cost of ammo. But you will hardly be shooting more that 150 rounds in a visit so not much to compare with.

And I'd would think there are more competitions to shoot with a Rimfire rifle than an air rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishLass2023

Well you see unfortunately I still live with my parents due to the crazy cost of rent at the moment, I've discussed it with them and they aren't comfortable having an actual firearm in the house, even a .22lr. But they are ok with an airgun so realistically this is my only option until I can move out.

As for the cost of ammo, typically when I rent a gun I go through roughly 100 rounds or more, my groupings have gotten pretty damn good over the past months as a result.

If I plan on shooting weekly the 16 euro for 200 pellets works out quite a bit cheaper than .22lr in the long run.

Someone sent me a message pointing to ISS in Killarney as they have experience importing FX products so I'll probably just go that route as it seems the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Gunshop.ie sell the FX air rifles, not cheap.

https://www.gunshop.ie/products/Air-Rifles-c134716506

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

If you were thinking longer term, maybe buy a used airgun. You could probably trade for a decent .22 LR when you move from your parents.

The cost if the ones in the link is very high compared to a decent .22 LR kit. A lot to pay for an airgun unless you're really planning to stick with it for a good while.

I had a look at them, problem is they only sell the bullbup variants and thus are restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

What about a 22lr stored somewhere else, range etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭skipking

try john conroy in laois he is an fx dealer

just looking at air rifles and tom kelly in mayo has a panthera in stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭laoismanj

He would rob you for pellets, 25 euro for a tin of pellets and gunshop.ie sell them for 15 euro a tin. Good gunsmith but too expensive imo.

Post edited by Cass on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

10 rounds applies to rimfire only. No such limit for air rifles.

mag capacity 10 being put on air rifle license now my mate changed his air rifle when he put in the sub application he was asked the mag limit

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Another ILLEGAL death by 1000 cuts. The only option is to fight them in the courts or else just keep your mouth shut and give up shooting.

As far as I can remember, an appeal to the District Court (Civil) costs about €20 and they sting you for the cost of a registered letter (which they should cover) to notify the Super/Chief Super.

Really up to you after that if you want to involve solicitor or barrister, but your €20 brings the Chief State Solicitor into it, and the more cases the more it costs the state, and it only takes 1 to cost the Gardai their overtime budget.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Advertisement