Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new PC - AMD Ryzen - Help Appreciated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S2T0) , Black

Which one do you reccomend I go for. I do not really care too much about the price, the difference is not so much. I just want the one with the best performance. If the PCIe 4.0 drive performs better on my motherboard and I can use it for a future machine then I prefer that one. But if the 3.0 performs better on my machine, that makes my decision tougher. Any advice? Thank in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Samsung 9x0 series of drives are extremely popular ones, I run them myself.

In terms of speed, a PCIe 4.0 drive will just run at PCIe 3.0 in a 3.0 board. It won't be slower than a 3.0 only drive.

Ok thanks, I bought the Samsung one for now. They are all way more reasonably priced than I ever expected. I can keep this PC even if I get a new one. The plan at the moment is to improve the one I have. Thanks again, have a good day.

https://www.gigabyte.com/ie/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-rev-1x/sp#sp

1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 64 GB of system memory
    2. Dual channel memory architecture
    3. Support for DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2667*/2400/2133 MHz memory modules
    4. * Support for higher than DDR4 2667 MHz may vary by CPU.
    5. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
    6. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
    7. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

One more question please. I currently have 2 x 16gb and 2 x 8gb RAM = 48GB in my PC. I want to buy 2 x 16GB RAM to give me 64GB. I can not buy higher than DDR4 3200, that is correct right?

This is the best I can currently find. Can you reccomend anything better for the motherboard I have?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16, Illuminated Desktop Memory Kit (10 Individually Addressable RGB LEDs, Optimised for AMD Ryzen), Black https://amzn.eu/d/5ONUElW

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The simplest approach is just to match the pre-existing x2 16GB DIMMs. Mixing different speeds/latencies is too open to trouble.

• Advertisement

Crucial CT16G4DFD8213 16 GB (DDR4, 2133 MT/s, PC4-17000, Dual Rank x8, DIMM 288-Pin) Memory https://amzn.eu/d/dfhoWmW

This above is what I bought in 2017.

I am thinking, would I not be better off getting 4 of the below and replacing all my RAM?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16, Illuminated Desktop Memory Kit (10 Individually Addressable RGB LEDs, Optimised for AMD Ryzen), Black https://amzn.eu/d/5ONUElW

They seem to be easier to get too. And how long does RAM last before it goes bad, slows down etc? 6 years I have been using it.

Thanks for your help.

RAM doesn't slow down over time. And there's no lifetime on them. Sometimes a stick will die, but that's the same as any other hardware.

The old RAM was a bit slow at 2133MHz, so going up to 3200MHz won't hurt. So long as you're happy to spend the money, then a full set of 3200MHz should be the simpler option.

Great, thanks a million for your time and feedback.

installing the SSD not as straightforward as I thought. Can you see this image I added, it includes motherboard booklet which shows me where I need to add the SSD drive. Number 9 = M2F_32G

Do I need to remove something before I can install this?

I have no idea. First time doing this.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is it a M2 drive? If so you have to remove the GPU as it is installed underneath where the GPU is.

• Advertisement

Yes a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMeM.2 SSD.

Considering I have never done this before, would you recommend me doing this? Will I not mess it up? Should I get someone else?

Im a bit clueless. Obv would prefer to do this myself and get it working ASAP.

Thanks.

It's easy all you need is a screw driver to remove the screw for the GPU press the clip and out it comes and then another screw for the M2 cover then slot in the M2 drive and screw it down. Very easy to do.

A bit embarrassed to ask this one but is my GPU the ZOTAC in the image I added and I need to unscrew that left screw?

And then I can fit my SSD in and this GPU back?

Im a bit scared but if it is straight forward I deffo want to do it.

Thanks

Is there not room below it? I thought it would be as easy as adding my RAM, sigh.

The screw on the bottom right of that image is what you take out. Then press the clip on PCIe socket and take out the GPU. Then undo the screw on the M2 cover and slot in the M2 drive and tighten up the screw.

undo the screw on the m2 cover? Which screw am I looking for exactly?

Thanks a mil for your time

I think I see it actually, unscrew that screw at 80. Then try and slot this in. Some craic. Haha. Let’s see if I can do it.

That's it. Sorry some MB have a cover your's doesn't but unscrew that screw and use it to hold down the new SSD.

Now I need to put GPU back and the put the cover back. I need to buy air spray for dust too.

Anything I missed please let me know.

Genuinely appreciate your time and help, tyty.

Adding this to confirm I put GPU back. And that should be it I think. Easy enough, next time I know what I’m doing.

• Advertisement

Yep that's pretty much it. Boot it up now and see if it all works.

One major point were you planning on using the new drive as a boot drive. What is your current boot drive?

Did not work. My monitors are not showing anything. Saying no signal.

What could I have done wrong?

My current boot drive is my old hard drive hdd 2TB.

My plan was to add this drive as I did and then make changes, move things onto new SSD.

I might have to open her up and take the SSD out just to have use of PC to work.

I also installed new RAM.

I’ve no idea what could have went wrong.

Recheck the GPU seating, make sure it clicked into the PCIe slot fully.

After that, restore the old RAM to see if there's an issue with that.

Checked GPU and it was clicked in. I think it was just RAM not clicked in properly. I guessed this as RAM was meant to light up. Was quite tough to get 4 RAM in slots due to wires beside it.

Anyway, I got it working. Took slightly longer to boot up. Looks great.

If you have any advice for me on SSD I added, things I can do with my new M2 drive please let me know. I can Google it too.

Thanks for help everyone, always appreciated.

Have you mirrored your current drive onto the m.2 one already?

No, I’ve done nothing,

Should I Google that? Mirror old drive to new M2 drive?

Actually how do I know my new M2 is working? If C drive is working off old hdd?

New RAM is working, checked in system.

That's the next step then, simpler phrases like "copy hdd so ssd" should produce plenty of guides, and there's plenty of free software to do so. Once everything's copied over, you'll need to enter your BIOS and set the boot order to start with the m.2 drive instead.

• Advertisement

I need to go into BIOS and select it? I will search Google for info.

Advertisement