Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mine are out 8 weeks and I will only start this weeks or next. even at that I had 24 out that ong and we will only feed 19 of what is out. will probablly add back in the 5& 3-5 more in 4-5 weeks time or start a second bunch. A lot depends on there weigh and condition. I really need to get my scales back working.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Weighed a batch here going to grass on the 27th of march at 515kg average.will start meal here on Tuesday and get 4kg till the 2nd week of June and kill then,..would most lads be at similar with these types of stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

What age and breed are they. If continental cattle I’d be letting them at grass only till about first week of June and then start feeding them for 6-7 weeks and killing under 30 months at end of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’m a firm believer in letting cattle age before killing. I leave my cattle right up 29.5 months and would only start feeding 7 weeks before. . Younger cattle don’t kill out as well. Not to mention the cheap weight gain on grass over the summer months. Margins are tight in beef so you need to make every pound a prisoner.

But I’m not the expert on friesian so will leave it to the resident expert Bass to answer

• Advertisement

I agree but there could be 30+ cent per kg less on quote difference in June compaired to August

Unless you are gone in early June with them and hold towards end of August. Last few years August has been as high as mid late June.

Good quality U grading Continental killed too early often have a habit of grading back as R=/+ and often can be FS 2-/=. Carried for 8-12 weeks longer on good summer grass and a bit of ration for eight weeks you have a bullock capable if pulling down the scales and U grading.

I always pick through my Friesian's and try to pick out ones that have developed enough so that when I start to feed they will grade O=/- and be FS3.

I like to start moving on a bunch in mid late June. If I can squeeze out 6-8 in late May I will. If they are P ish type cattle unless they have weight on them I will let them there.

As I am finishing up in 60 cattle off grass during the summer There is only so many I can feed especially early on the year. I run my cattle as two bunches stores( on grass) and finishing bunch.

I have cattle out since then as well and will not start to feed any of them until June. First off I have a bunch out since mid February and I am feeding them, Secondly cattle out 4-5 weeks are only starting to move they will need another 4 weeks before they are really start get weight and fat cover.

If you are in an area where you can get decent flat prices then ya if processors are short of cattle you may get them away at a decent flat prices but I would have to travel for a flat prices and that eats into any flat prices

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭kk.man

I totally agree with you on this... If it were me feed them on and take the top of the market price. I be very nervous about cattle after the 2nd week of June. It's a long time since processors tried to drop the price in April..I think they are more confident than other years regarding numbers for June.

515 kgs lw now should trans into 350kgs DW (with meal) for June for freisians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,067 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I wouldn’t use last years example of pricing as a model to base this years decisions on.

when did you ever see prices go up in August before last year? It was a unicorn year and I don’t see it happening again for a long long time unfortunately

They went up the year before they were fairly static last year. Autumn prices in 2021 were better than June prices it was similar in 2020.

Usually you get a bit of a price drop in June. However in the last few years there has not been a significant difference in mid late June prices compared to August. You would need a base price difference of +20-30c/kg to compensate for killing in mid June compared to August on cattle killing sub 330 kgs DW

For the last 4-5 years ( since the strike) processors have not significantly pulled summer prices after the early June pull.

Last year we got 4.65 in August September compared to 4.8/ kg after the June pull in price. The year before we got 4.25 in August'2020, 4/ kg early June. The year before that in 2019it was 3.9+/-10c all year long. It was 3.7 rising to 3.9 in 2018.

Ya I would not bet on it not happening in any particular year. However killing cattle that are unfit is one of the quickest ways to lose money.

Another factor coming into play is the push to kill cattle under 24 months. There is less and less cattle coming off grass every year. Late September on is becoming an issue with the slaughter of 18-20 month cattle

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Foyle donegal. Bullocks 5.25. Heifers 5.30

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Would be doing well to get them to even 325kg DW by early June from those LW's I'd be thinking, and if they are not ready by June 10 better leave them until July 31st. They pile it on in Jun and July. A 325kg DW in early Jun animal would be 370kg+ in late July/early Aug. A 40-50c base cut would leave you same margin (accounting for grass at 60c / day) as killing in June assuming you didn't go over the 30 month for FR's that will grade O.

Surely processors have accurate information on the head of cattle in the country at any given time?

With that information they could definitely plan ahead and pay the optimum price from there perspective.

Yeah they know more about the livestock in this country than the department. They have been known to bluff at times though and drop the price to frighten farmers into selling cattle sooner to avoid a forecasted reduction in supply - sure were else are the cattle going to go... Best not to think about it really.

Add in cattle that are 30-40 kgDW heavier will grade at least a point higher on the grid. Therefore a P+ animal will be at least O- and that is worth 14c/ kg on the grid, it worth 18c between O-/O= on the grid

If an animal goes from P+2+ to O=4- it 38c/kg. Even if he goes into an O=4= it worth 32c/kg.

It's a long time since I saw a 40-50c/kg drop between even early June and jaye August. Last time there was a strike

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It's probably the single biggest factor in suppressing beef prices. Yet no one talks about it, a bit like the USC tax that was brought in 14 years ago, we just take it lying down now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What the story this week ,trying to contact my agent and he is not picking up.I heard there are sheds full of expensive fat cattle to be killed.

Things not looking great for later in the year if they are backing up grass cattle already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Drop of 5 to 10 cent was roumered to be happening this week, so I shipped out last week.

There's alot of cattle backed up already over the past 4 months with the 3 day kills they have been doing. They must have reduced the quantities promised to supermarkets over the past few months so they could back up cattle as everyone knew a shortage was coming, god forbid they would let the farmer have a decent margin. The lack of bbq weather in the UK over the bank hols prob doesn't help either, we need a heatwave fast!

• Advertisement

The got caught with contracts last spring. They have contracted for too many cattle. The strong supply during Jan/ Feb and strong price probably made processors wary of over committing to supply to retailers. Retailers would have contracted in Chicken and pork in it's place.

There will be no flush of grass cattle until probably mid late June. It's costing a fortune to feed cattle so they are slaughtering there own feedlots first. It the reason I have up winter finishing any change in demand you were left carrying the can and given a sh!t price as well as paying through the nose for replacements to go to grass

Supply is probably +30k they have contracts for 28ish so they will let the winter finisher trickle in supply to keep figures at 30 ish K until end of June. No 5.5-6/kg this year it seems. No flat prices

Slava Ukrainii

Good explanation of this year's situation.

The reality is they have several different levers they can pull to control supply at different times of the year. It's only ever a matter of which "tool" they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Our own factory here have lads hearts broke putting off cattle.

I got a document out from ICBF today. The document was telling me I was in the bottom 10% for this and that with regard to Teagasc figures

Interestingly they had nothing about my weight gain or costs

I suppose I should change my system go get into there top 10% or out of there bottoms figures

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Don't you dare question the system! If our "independent" state bodies say one size fits all, then by god you better believe one size fits all 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Should I feed small amount of Cattle Meal to weanling bullocks which I have just bought and turned to grass. These animals are averaging under 300 kg liveweight . I can't believe how small these cattle are for their purchase price. I value your opinion/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Hershall

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Fine Day

A good dose and plenty of grass and water, heat and sunshine will do the rest for them till the end of the growing season is my advise. A mineral lick be no harm for them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭High bike

Icbf are a complete waste of time and money too if ur foolish enough to join that herd plus

Advertisement