Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s an easy sale if the price is right. I’m guessing it’s been picked up by a trader and it’ll be €4K and full of filler in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

One of the true bargains if the battery indeed was as good as advertised. With EVs the battery condition is everything. Hope somebody from here bought it and we'll get a proper report.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed. Even if they didn't bother, it would be an easy enough €1500 profit. Or just keep it for a year or two and sell for 3 times what he paid for it. There is going to be a huge shortage of lower end EVs and most people don't realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

Is there much of a demand for low end EV’s tho? There’s certainly a demand for low end hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

Yes if priced correctly, as they are great school run/ second cars. Price it wrong and they’ll sit on donedeal for months, same as any car really.

6.96kwp South facing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Proof is in the pudding. That leaf sold in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

2017 (171) Tesla Model X

75D 4WD (525bhp)

€47,990

Not sure if this MX has been posted, €47k, which is €18k cheaper than the next cheapest one. It’s a 75D, which for an Irish car in 2017 was €120-140k ish.

there’s now 17 model X listings on carzone and some of them are ads I’ve had saved forever.

does literally no-one want to take the risk on a 2nd hand X?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/tesla/model-x/used-2017-171-tesla-model-x-75d-suv-e-dublin-fpa-202301183361925

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would be a fantastic buy if there was some way of buying a warranty for it. This is quite doable in the UK but all of the aftermarket warranty providers here will only deal with the trade. Even then they are pretty rubbish from what I’ve heard. Pretty difficult to get them to pay out on a claim.

Nice find. It is very, very cheap for what it is. The 6 seat configuration would be my choice too, I think it was an expensive optional extra compared with the standard 7 seat configuration. And there is still another 2 years warranty on the battery / motor / drivetrain (unlimited mileage). You'd still need big balls to buy one privately, the horror stories on them are endless. Maybe there is a way to get a Tesla extended warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Fantana2

I just think people would prefer to buy a new MY or M3 plus change in their pocket than an out or close to out of warranty X or S. I’m not saying the latter are not better cars but the downsides are twofold; cost of fixing something out of warranty is huge and they are very hard to sell. Why would you buy something that traps you (nice place to be trapped!) from being able to sell quick and move on when you want to without taking a big haircut. I have no doubt there are many S and X owners that want to buy a new Tesla but simply can’t shift their cars (or haven’t accepted the reality the cost to move will be enormous). Every time Elon drops the prices he kills the X and S owners hopes a little more.

6.96kwp South facing

Indeed, I thought I was the same. Ordered new Model Y and put my 6 year old Model S up for sale (roughly same value)

Until we went to test drive the Model Y. Great car, super value for money, very efficient, great deal. But not for us as it would be a major step down from what we have. I didn't think of pulling my DoneDeal ad for my Model S and funnily enough about a week later I got a very serious interest in my car. Could have sold it for maybe a couple grand less than the price of a brand new Model Y. But I kindly declined (but gave the interested party plenty of useful advise - he bought another Model S shortly after)

For me it would have been a bit like going from a 6 year old BMW 745i to a brand new BMW 318d (pardon the dinosaur fuel references!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was in the market for a run around. But couldn’t find any with a decent range. Ended up with a 2009 2.2 diesel accord

the ID4 does 30k a year and out second car about 7k. Many of which are 200+ do needs a decent range.

still no EVs with range for a good price.

A 2009 Accord diesel? Big mistake. Both from a financial point of view and as we all have known for a very long time, a moral point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well as someone who was selling an extremely short range ev for 7.5k I’ll not pay much attention to that. Especially your morals comment with only 7,000km a year it’s more environmentally friendly than getting a new EV

a 2K car with full service history and a 12 month NCT. Makes perfect financial sense to me. EVs aren’t in that ballpark yet.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the diesel accord especially if it’s the €390 road tax version. If it was only €2K though, it’s either been to the moon and back or the seller literally gave it away. Your use case of 7000km’s per year won’t suit the 2.2 diesel though. Unless recently done, you’ll likely have bother with the dpf, egr valve etc. It’s a lot of car for the money. Used EV’s command hefty prices as they are scarce and somewhat sought after. An old diesel with a big engine has a limited market as young drivers would struggle to insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

As with most aspects of private motoring in Ireland, the last sentence highlights the rip off nature of Irish car insurance premiums over the years as that big Honda diesel has less than 140bhp which wouldn't even be considered safe its so underpowered in the new EV era. Will be interesting to see how the insurance companies will adapt to this new era, can't see them walking away from the current lucrative model of screwing certain classes of drivers off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's not about performance at all though.

It's about older vehicles being picked up for peanuts by drivers who then, wilfully or otherwise, engage in activities conducive to 3rd party claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭yermanthere

Isn't there a guy on one of the Tesla forums with a one year old model x. On like it's 4th or 5th drive motor?

Ridiculous for such an expensive purchase.

Maybe that's why they don't sell?

Definitely, stay clear any European one year old model X.

And in Ireland any 211-231 registered Model X should be avoided like a plague. Especially the Plaid version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Insurance companies have always loaded premiums for so called big powerful 2 ltr diesels. Having said that they load premiums for pretty much any excuse really.

In fairness you got a bargain there! Pity it's a diesel though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I am logging in purely to highlight how disgraceful I feel that comment is.

I am a PHEV owner because the EV market has been a sellers market for a significant period of time with demand bias pricing.

I would be a ICE driver if I wasn't fortunate enough to be in a position to finance what would be an severely overpriced vehicle, if I didn't have connections to the UK pre-brexit.

You must take better care when introducing such significant language as this into what is just a car forum. Posts like that diminish the very real challenges people face in adopting something they may feel is morally correct. There is weight associated your introducing this concept that I don't feel you have even attempted to consider when you posted that, and to say I'm disappointed with this type of discourse is a severe understatement.

A moral compass is not a device which can be used to overcome a sellers market.

You must have misunderstood my comment. I know EVs aren't for everyone and there aren't many for sale that can be bought very cheaply. But no one has to buy a diesel which has cancer causing exhaust fumes, you could as cheaply buy a petrol which does a lot less harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Read it again, it's a ChatGPT response @unkel - someone's yanking your chain.

is it fair to say that an X is possibly the biggest financial white elephant NEW car in recent memory?

‘there are no bad new cars’, but I can’t think of another new €130k family car of the past 4-5 years that is virtually unsellable today out of warranty, nor with the possibility of a warranty.

a great example of early adopters paying their money and taking their chance.

most of the traditional luxo-barges can be dealer-sold & warrantied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭User1998

What is it thats so bad about the Model X that’s making it unsellable? Like what makes it so much worse than an out of warranty Model S? Pricepoint? Reliability?

• Advertisement

The issue is warranty. once out of manufacturer warranty, an extended warranty isn’t available for the X, so any issue with the battery, drivetrain, air suspension, doors etc, has the ability to cost an utterly silly amount, maybe even bricking the car.

Advertisement