Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Those extra billions the government now has due to the corporation tax windfall. Apart from paying some of the country’s debt, a major upgrade to our cities PT infrastructure would be a wise move.

As opposed to looking underground like the metro maybe we should consider an overground mono rail system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strange how the unions haven’t been up in arms about all the OPW moves to new buildings which have tiny amounts of parking, maybe 1 space for 2-3% of occupants.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Course they can’t make remote working a legal entitlement to aleviate traffic, course not. Cant put in quality, reliable public transport that runs when it’s needed and convenient to get workers to work on time, course not. But easy as pie to levy another payroll tax. It’ll be a case of last one left turn out the lights in Ireland if they just keep on with their stick and no carrot policies. I’m convinced at this stage we should just turn ireland into a nature reserve, and all abandon ship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It’ll be a case of last one left turn out the lights in Ireland if they just keep on with their stick and no carrot policies.

Carrot policies such as?

Or are you simply not wanting to be inconvenienced by changes for the greater good?

Spencer Dock, Trinity Point would be two that I’m aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Lots of teachers leaving my kids school last suimmer and this summer. Im sure a lot of the remaining one probaly cant even afrford to live or rent near the school, not that that they would want to live near where they teach, but take away their parking and they will be gone too. So much virtue signalling around and not one thought as to what the knock on effects will be. Kind of like why we are where we are with rent prices now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how could they make remote working a legal entitlement? there are huge numbers of jobs which require physical presence to do work; how could you legislate for 'people have an entitlement to work from home except when they can't'?

...but take away their parking...

Who is proposing this idea because it is not mentioned in the article in thr OP? In fact the article quotes "We’re not saying take the car away from people"

It is merely saying that free parking is a benefit to some employees and so therefore could be levied or taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking with someone at the weekend about that - there's an estate beside clonsilla railway station where the residents obviously lobbied for paid parking, due to the proximity of the railway station. i don't know of any other metered estate within 5 or 10km of there; i wonder how rigourously it's policed.

It's likely to cause problems.

Imagine arriving home from a night shift to find you can't park near your house because people working days in a nearby factory have bagged all the spaces.

sounds like the root cause of the issue here is the expectation of free parking.

the factory workers park there because they expect to be able to park for free. the resident/homeowner expects to be able to park on the road outside their house for free (and for it to be retained for their exclusive use, too).

See what I mean. You are not thinking it through at all. You thing its just taxing people. What you are really doing is making their work more unattractive.

Dont worry, wont be too long after they have taxed work place parking that they'll be taxing you for parking near your house too. Slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As you well know it's a further tax on going to work, as if workers aren't taxed enough having to pay more just to get to work could push some lower paid workers into saying "I'd be better off on Benefits"....

To drive a car in this country is a massive source of taxation for the Government, motor tax, VRT, excise duty on fuel/repairs/maintenance..

Where is this tax going to? Directly into providing reliable, cheap/efficient/safe public transport? Don't make me laugh!

It is a conflict of rights and both sides will make strong cases.

On road parking is more of an issue where you have multiple occupancy.

Also more adult children are living at home due to the cost of accomodation.

So many slippery slopes.

More households will concrete front gardens to make parking spaces.

This will reduce bio diversity and increase flooding risks.

i live near DCU. it's not an issue where i am, but there are some nearby estates where residents are driven mad by badly parked cars, left there by students (possibly staff too, but they probably have a staff car park).

AFAIK the council have asked the locals would they agree to the introduction of metered parking, but they've never got the required numbers as there are too many houses which are populated by students...

• Advertisement

In Japan you have to prove that you have your own off the road car parking space before you can complete the purchase of a Car, like here the streets are narrow, however low speed limits, well designed road space and efficient public transport exists there unlike here... (and people abide by the rules)

See what I mean. You are not thinking it through at all. You thing its just taxing people. What you are really doing is making their work more unattractive.

I corrected your claim which showed that you didn't read the article under discussion. Now I'm the one not thinking?

As you well know it's a further tax on going to work, as if workers aren't taxed enough having to pay more just to get to work could push some lower paid workers into saying "I'd be better off on Benefits"....

This would most likely be a tax facing the employer and the employer could decide whethr to pass it on to the emploiyee. Your fears for lower paid workers is simply an attempt at pearl clutching!

To drive a car in this country is a massive source of taxation for the Government, motor tax, VRT, excise duty on fuel/repairs/maintenance..

Loads of things in this country are a source of taxation. Should we abolish all of them because of the impact they might be having on lower paid workers or whatever?

I would also remind you that driving is a privilege, not a right!

Where is this tax going to? Directly into providing reliable, cheap/efficient/safe public transport? Don't make me laugh!

There is currently no tax so it is not going anywherere.

Presumably if it does come in, like all other taxes, it will go into the exchequer. Same as motor tax, fuel tasxes and duties, etc. which doesn't go directly into providing roads.

At worst, it is a further tax on DRIVING to work. Not everyone drives to work.

The bottom line is that parking facilities cost money to provide and maintain. The only question is who should pay for these.

Should those who use the facilities pay, or should employers spread the costs across all employees, including those who bus, walk or cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Parking was part of the package when I took up my current job. Charging the full economic cost of approx. €5000 for parking would be a significant change in the terms of employment, equivalent to €10,000 reduction in gross pay.

At the moment I'm 50-50 on site - work from home. Driving takes about 30 minutes, public transport would be at least 1½ hours.

If they really want to reduce congestion and travel related carbon footprint they should mandate 100% work from home for roles where it is possible, with a high bar for an employer to justify a need to be on site.

Only some jobs are suitable for work from home. It is not reasonable to penalise people for getting to work.

...and what?

If your employer promised you free parking than presumably if this charge were to come in, then your employer would absorb the cost.

As for your commute, I've no idea what route you've to take but a 30 minute drive could be anywhere between 1 and 30kms. My own commute by car is about the same length of time as by bycicle simply because of traffic congestion.

As for your last comment "It is not reasonable to penalise people for getting to work." - the proposal is not to penalise people for getting to work but for availing of a freebie at work. You are approaching this on the basis that it should not be charged. If your employer were to give you a company car to get to and from work, should you pay BIK on it or would that too be unfair?

Of course I would like to see the money companies pay for car parking converted into providing secure bicycle parking/lockers/showers but I'm not aware of any employer which has done this?

Where I work has massive employee car parks with shuttle buses that bring people to and from the car parks every day.. Would be great if these shuttle buses instead connected employee's with public bus/train/Luas lines...however with a couple of train/tram lines(Dublin) and a slow/expensive/unreliable bus system (in Dublin) then people still rely on their cars and any additional taxes may be passed onto the employee thus further reducing income to spend on purchasing of goods to support the economy..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Not sure it's completely applicable to this thread but:

My partner and I decided we'd bring our little one up to the Ulster Museum. We thought it'd be fun to bring her by train so looked at the costs:

We'd need to get the train to Drogheda

Then catch the Enterprise to Belfast

We'd need to take a taxi or bus to the museum

All told it was going to cost the guts of €200 for the train whereas a tank of fuel was €40 and we could park pretty close to the museum. I'm all for PT but it needs to be affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This is never going to happen, Intel, AMD/Xilinx, Analog Devices, Pfizer, MSD,.... all big companies that are struggling to retain and attract talent. All depend on employees who by and large drive to work. Make their lives harder and companies will end up leaving or at the very least stopping to invest in ireland.

where i work they built a bike cage around what was probably 8 parking spaces; swipe access only, you need to request permission for that swipe access. they also provide lockers, changing rooms and showers, and have also provided a drying room. when i was last commuting you'd often have seen 60 bikes in the bike cage during the summer (though probably 5 were abandoned).

that was near leopardstown, which is not as easy to cycle to for many as somewhere nearer the city centre.

• Advertisement

Or maybe more of them will consider other options to get to work?

Advertisement