Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox News fires Tucker Carlson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Huh?

You really think everyone on twitter is real?

Nah in the case the AI bot was picking up all the stuff from all the twitter bots

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

All those bots were set in motion by someone somewhere and they control the content. So arseholes on Twitter were still responsible for corrupting the AI. It'd be interesting to see what will happen when there are generations of AIs on the web that have learnt from previous generations with no human input. What would an AI many generations along the chain be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This is part of the reason why nobody is taking the far-left seriously.

The problem with modern conservatism is that it has no principles beyond self-enrichment of the upper classes and the concentration of power and influence in those hands.

They've turned to fascism and fascist tropes as a result because if they can't dupe people into believing that their wealth, power and influence are justified, they'll use coercion and force.

Honestly, it's beyond embarrassing at this stage.

You may disagree with Fox News and Tucker Carlson's politics, but to perform the usual smear - to refer to him and others as "fascists" - is, as I say, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

That's the thing. Calling them fascists isn't a smear. It is an honest description of the policies that they are putting forward.

"Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

That describes the MAGA version of the Republican Party in the US perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. They meet too many of the essential characteristics of fascism for it to be anything other than perfectly apt:

• Obsession with immigration and ethnic purity
    • Domination of the media
    • Disregard for intellectuals and the arts
    • Corruption
    • Nationalism
    • Suppression of free speech
    • Suppression of organised labour
    • Bolstering the power of corporations
    • Disregard for human rights
    • Obsession with law and order

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 82,475 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Accurate. Tucker even quite seriously suggested we invade Canada because he didn’t like how they voted for Trudeau.

He wasn't "serious" that the US should invade Canada.

Many US talk show hosts are effectively entertainers. They say one thing for TV and entertainment and humour, whilst often concealing their real beliefs to their private life.

Just look at the way Carlson privately reviled Trump whilst, on the TV show, praising Trump to the rafters.

There's nothing unusual about this.

Carlson and others have to earn their wage. Being boring, saying anodyne statements, just won't cut it.

If you're taking Carlson seriously about invading Canada, that's about as ludicrous as believing that David Icke "seriously" believes that the Royal Family are private lizards.

Money is what speaks at this level, not seriousness.

He wasn't "serious" that the US should invade Canada.

laughable response. Pathetic even.

“Why should we stand back and let our biggest trading partner, the country with which we share the longest border — and actually, I’ll just say, a great country, I love Canada, I’ve always loved Canada because of its natural beauty — why should we let it become Cuba?”

“We’re spending all this money to liberate Ukraine from the Russians, why are we not sending an armed force north to liberate Canada from Trudeau?”

“And, I mean it.”

Tucker Carlson

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

So that's your take? That he isn't personally a fascist, he just publicly advocates for fascism because it gets him the ratings he wants? And that somehow seems better to you?

• Advertisement

You completely ignored the actual substance, the meat and bones, of my post. Congratulations.

Most people watch TV shows with a sense of humour, I certainly do.

Had Tucker said that whilst I was watching, I would have laughed at his dislike of Trudeau to make an outrageous comment like that, and moved on.

Nobody seriously believes that the US should launch a military operation against Canada.

What bones?

We have Carlsons own words. Your waffle is vastly inferior to that fact.

We also have David Icke's words that he apparently believes that the Royal Family are lizards. We also have comedian's words about similarly outrageous comments that are said for entertainment purposes, too. The same principle applies to just about everyone in the media, including celebrity personalities.

You are applying an inconsistent standard to Tucker because you want to believe he genuinely believes this, or you're pretending that you believe he believes in this invasion to score points.

Everyone else can see that Tucker was just being an entertainer.

The underlying truth is that he probably genuinely dislikes Trudeau but made this throwaway comment in humour - and I personally find it quite funny. Funny not because it's serious, but because it isn't serious.

Ditto, as I say, with Carlson and his private disdain of Trump.

You're just going to have to accept that your characterisation of Tucker is false and misleading.

Your posts show a lack of understanding about how the news and entertainment industry works.

more waffle is still just waffle

Tucker Carlson’s words and actions speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This:

CNN pushed the Trump Russia collusion conspiracy which went nowhere. Fox pushed the election was stolen conspiracy. Both are two sides of the same coin.

which is just not true.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Your lack of engagement with the substance of my posts suggests otherwise.

Argumentum ad lapidem springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The news should not be considered a tv show though. And I dont think a lot of Tucker Carlsons audience on the Right thought he was being funny on most topics. I have no idea what comments he made on Trudeau but do know that the Freedom Convoy did get alot of support from Right Wingers in USA and that did cause a headache and disruption for alot of Canadians.

The post had no substance that was superior to the evidence already exhibited by Tucker Carlson.

“I’m being serious.”

There is no evidence that Tucker Carlson is a fascist.

You also clearly lack understanding in what that logical fallacy means, too (incidentally, even if your comparison were true, which it isn't, it would be an example of tu quoque).

You can disagree with some of his political opinions, but a fascist he ain't.

It's nothing more than beating a straw man, or perhaps even a red herring.

• Advertisement

That’s a strawman fallacy now too. Nowhere in my posts did I make an argument about whether or not Tucker Carlson is a fascist.

and an ad hominem right after that

you cannot dispute what you wrote is Argumentum ad lapidem - read your own link on Argumentum ad lapidem if you’re confused

Appeal to the stone, also known as argumentum ad lapidem, is a logical fallacy that dismisses an argument as untrue or absurd. The dismissal is made by stating or reiterating that the argument is absurd, without providing further argumentation.

replace absurd with “embarrassing” and bam that was your entire post. You even reiterated that assertion multiple times in the same post. A textbook example of the fallacy.

You clearly do not understand what you are talking about.

That's a pretty bad attempt at trying to square that circle, yet again misrepresenting the facts - just as you continue to do with Tucker Carlson.

That's because you're not interested in what the facts have to say. You're interested only in peddling the line of your ideological beliefs.

That too is just Argumentum ad hominem 🙃

Try to elevate your diction.

Anyway regarding facts, I posted Tucker Carlsons own words. “I’m being serious”

Just like Tucker incessantly praised Trump on his TV show, whilst privately disdaining the man - or, to borrow a quote, "his own words".

But this is all too inconvenient for you, right!?

After all, for you and others, Tucker Carlson is a MAGA Fascist who wants Donald Trump to become some ethno-nationalist military Dictator, praising the man on his knees, from dawn till dusk.

The reality of the situation is entirely different: that what Carlson says on his TV show is first and foremost a personality speaking, and what Carlson believes privately is another matter entirely. Certainly something more mundane and uninteresting.

Just like most news anchors, entertainers, and other established personalities throughout the US news and media circuit. Deep down, you know this to be true.

But you want us to ignore this reality to instead engage in some quite frankly embarrassing argument that Tucker Carlson wants the US Armed Forces to literally invade Canada, depose Justin Trudeau, and install some kind of obsequious dictator - presumably one approved by Donald Trump!?

Look, this borders the level of nonsense we see in those who follow the likes of Alex Jones and David Icke.

Most sensible people can see beyond the surface level entertainment value to what actually animates their performances on TV shows.

Go ahead and please provide any Tucker Carlson texts you have which show his contradictory stance on invading Canada? I wasn’t discussing Trump, I don’t know why you keep trying to bring him up (or Icke or Jones, now) when I am discussing Tuckers “being serious” suggestion to invade Canada.

“I’m being serious.” Tucker Carlson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Trudeau is the fascist.

There are no property rights in Canada. The government can take away anything you own legally with the stroke of a pen. Their universal healthcare includes assisted suicide as a vialibe treatment for all ailments including teenage depression. He wants to censor the internet like they do in North Korea. He has increased taxation.

Worst of all he threatened to seize the banks accounts of citizens who protested their personal freedoms. The right to protest is a basic right in every democracy. In Canada protesters were ran through by authoritarian government thugs on horseback.

The real definition of fascism describes Trudeau , not Tucker Carlson.

Fascism - system of government led by a dictator who typically rules by forcefully and often violently suppressing opposition and criticism, controlling all industry and commerce, and promoting nationalism and often racism.

Tucker Carlson was a staunch critic of the military industrial complex. Pentagon officials cheered his firing. He may not be able to criticize the government on Fox News anymore but he is more than free to do it elsewhere, and he will..

In a dictatorship Tucker is thrown into prison and poisoned , just like Alexei Navaly in Russia. Its embarrassing watching people act like they understand fascism. Too much time spent in the comment section of Owen Jones videos I reckon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And there's the desperate whataboutery. No thanks.

Anyone defending that attempted fascist coup is a fascist and that definitely includes Carlson.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

You are arguing in bad faith, deliberately ignoring all the evidence against your position. Misapplying logical fallacies doesn't help, either.

My position on Tucker Carlson stands.

Everyone else can see that you are purposefully not engaging with the actual substance and contexts of my posts.

That shows a lack of confidence in your position, if anything.

Advertisement