Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You are confusing a lot of different sections here. In Immigration control there are no direct promotions. You must be promoted , move to a normal non allowanced post as EO/HEO then if a competition opens you can apply to return as EO/HEO on shift if you are successful in said competition.

Revenue/Customs is different in that they have direct promotion within allowanced posts however this thread relates to Immigration not Revenue.

The 5 year clause you are referring to relates to moving laterally on mobility not on transfer. You cannot move to a regular CO post unless via competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭job seeker

Ah, that clears everything up! Thanks! Appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TravelMoon

Correct me if I'm wrong, I can't find the pdf information booklet anymore, but haven't the terms and conditions changed for the new competition?

It will be three years going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eamano

@cw67irl I have couple of questions. Advace apologies if they are stupid ones but wanted absolute clarity. Was going through the booklet again and came across this...

A new entrant administrative Clerical Officer would have 22 days annual leave. An Immigration Control Officer will work fewer days (although with a longer working day) than an administrative Clerical Officer. Therefore, to maintain the equivalent value of annual leave available to the two officers it is necessary to re-state the annual leave allowance of an Immigration Control Officer. 

The annual leave allowance of a Clerical Officer assigned as an Immigration Control Officer on the shift roster will be 15.49 shifts per leave year.

Question: Does the above passage mean that they get 15.49 days annual leave per year? if not then how would you read this in general.

PPC [Personal Pension Contribution] Scale: €26,599 (€509.76) – €28,272 (€541.82) – €28,697 (€549.96)– €29,527 (€565.86)– €30,750 (€589.30) – €31,972 (€612.72) – €33,193 (€636.12)– €34,082 (€653.16) – €35,089 (€672.46) – €36,259 (€694.89) –  €37,084 (€710.69) – €38,242 (€732.88) – €39,393 (€754.95) – €41,190 (€789.38) – LSI 1 €42,602 (€816.45) – LSI. 2 €43,249² (€828.85)

* The first Long Service Increment (LSI 1) is payable after 3 years, satisfactory service on the “Max”. LSI 2 is payable after 3 years, satisfactory service on LSI 1.  

Question: Does LS1 applies after 3 years of service or does it apply after 14 years of service?

Currently it's 15.49 shifts for someone in their first 5 years as a clerical officer. It does increase slightly with service and on promotion.

LS1 is reached after all the other points bey fore it. You stay on it for 3 years then go to LS2.

Hopefully that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KarenCarberry

My extra clearance just came in there, so on to reference check. Just for those who are waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emcfarl

Where did you come in interview

best of luck

Well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 katiexo

Does anyone have an example of the roster

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjdd88

Hey Karen,

May I ask when you sent your clearance docs back? I sent mine on the 1st Nov and was advised 16 weeks but nothing since then.

Thanks

My clearance came back on the first.All my documentation was sent on the 14th of October so your just a little after me so hopefully shouldn’t be too much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jjdd88

@KarenCarberry many thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wangchung

The clerical officer working out at the airport only get 15 days annual holidays starting off whilst the rest of the civil service gets 22 days ??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dat6

read the thread.

ICOs annual leave is calculated on an hourly/shift basis because they work less days per month than a CO.

They dont actually as the Haddington Road hours still currently apply out there

Has anyone been called off the panel recently

@emcfarl I was contacted a few weeks ago

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking what number you were on panel I am 96

Just a word of caution to new entrants. The current atmosphere is really bad. Management more worried about people queuing for a short period of time as opposed to proper immigration procedures. The supervisors work their own hours. Start late leave early, do very little in between. The people who actually do the work, immigration control officers expected to tow the line and work the full shift while supervisors are there for 6-8 hours tops sometimes less. The actual workers can't raise objections, concerns as they would be singled out and lives made more miserable. No chance of promotion unless you leave the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Uncle.Junior

I smell that someone maybe a bit disgruntled about their job..maybe

Just saying.....Upper management oblivious to what's going on

Post edited by cw67irl on

Management has since changed since you moved on to your new role cw67irl and as above, a person having a go at what their own personal experiences are and their views of how thing operate out of 130+ officers. Seems very disgruntled and maybe not really the role for them. Personally I think the role is not for everyone.

It seems to be totally out of sync with the views and experiences of many officers in Dublin Airport. One bad apple and all that. They only joined the Airport in late 2019 and seem to know it all. I'm simply amazed they're not management.

I for one know that my colleagues and team mates are very happy.

If you have a read of the thread you will see that my posts were never overly negative however as you can probably tell the role has changed particularly in the short time since I left. Not for the better and from what I hear either, there are certain people out there working part time hours obviously not all but there are definitely some doing it.

It was always the way some teams were happy some weren't, Likewise some people were good at the job and some weren't. It is however a shame seeing how some people treat the job particularly some of the ones that are in supervisory roles.. Some seem to forget they are on TEAMS....

The old analogy of a boat without a captain springs to mind.....

But again its not wholesale out there. It's a few bad apples...

• Advertisement

Not just someone.

I have read through the thread and you can see, I didn't imply you were negative in my post. I merely mentioned a change since you departed.

There is one thing that I am certain of though, I don't comment on what I hear from others but I do and can comment on what I see, as a current officer with a different outlook than some. What you are simply commenting on is called hear-say

But you are just someone.. like me, someone with a different view of the role, the experience and work.

I am no-one.

I know what it's called I'm merely commenting on a thread. I havent gone that far that I don't know what's happening out there...

Like I said its not across the board but there are some doing it..

As sad as it is to say it its sad to see the standard of some of the staff out there.. Not all but some are clearly not fit for purpose...

• Advertisement

I agree, but maybe you're hearing things from "the few" but not the actual few from your perspective. You may have befriended some during your time there and trust their opinion more than others.

There are differences between on how teams, supervisors and managers integrate, get on and socialize but from my perspective, some of the recent changes are more positive than negative. So this thread is merely a matter of opinion and what an officer derives from the role at a personal level and not the opinion of most, as implied.

I was basing my commentary on more than one source..

It would be a bit short sighted to base it on one person's testimony wouldnt it..

Like I said iv no axe to grind here merely commenting on the role, I left on good terms with everyone :)

More than one source could be 2 or 3.

In perspective, teams have roughly 13 to 18 officers in each of the 8 teams (just a rough number, as there's always ongoing changes with officers being promoted and people getting other roles in different departments because of the investigative experience they've gained with immigration, don't you think?). So even if all the officers from one team were giving you their "testimony", it's still roughly 12.5% and the numbers are no way near that.

So maybe your own experience maybe beneficial than others for new recruits and the thread, not hearsay

BTW, glad you left on good terms.

Why assume everyone I speak to was on the one team, like you said 8 teams, 2 sides of the shift...

Like I said iv no axe to grind.. Merely discussing

Again, that's an assumption.. I never said that. I merely pointed out that more than 1 can be 2 or 3, and beyond and put it in perspective as to the array of officers working in the airport. Some posters on this thread are pointing out only negatives because they have personal issues with their role and the majority (none posters, do not).

You are a person that is no longer in this role and yet your comment is "Just saying.....Upper management oblivious to what's going on". How are you aware of this? , this is another person/groups opinion conveyed to you.

I find that from reading this thread over the last while and in particular the negative comments (and not just your comments), the comments are all anti their work, their situation and management in particular. Maybe the role is not for them... I simply think it's great

I was more so curious about how much upper management are aware of the goings on.. the thoughts of people working so few of their contracted hours seems madness compared to how the role used to be and the fact this appears to be happening on more than one , two or even three teams boggles the mind....

Well maybe start a separate thread for information in relation to what you need to know about the airport and leave this thread to assist people that really want to work there. The mind boggles that people in this thread are desperate to convey how bad the job is, when some don't work there and have no real clue what's going on, other than hear-say.

I'm not gonna continue this back and forth with someone who has only suddenly started to post in the last few days..

My posts were responses to other comments. Like I said I loved my time in the BMU, My comments have been a reflection of my time put there. The goos the bad and the ugly, As has my advice to anyone who has contacted me about potentially joining. Iv no axe to grind, and no ill will towards former colleagues... I merely offered comments about current conditions out there... Conditions that have been commented on by numerous posters and have been confirmed by a number of sources....

Hopefully the thread can get back on track with its intended purpose and not just anonymous posters going back and forth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 s9393

If by back on track you mean back to 1 person who clearly doesn’t like their job slating the entire place when it couldn’t be further from the truth… and the comment regarding “no chance of promotion unless you leave the unit” is ridiculous considering no section in the civil service is allowed/has run internal promotions so why would the BMU be able to do different.

• Advertisement

Anonymous,🤣🤣

Oh I see you and most in he thread post by real names funny that I don't

Yes, I made this account as a current officer in the bmu and I am able to tell as it is. Some of the posts on this thread are absolutely nonsense and you get your info second hand. You started the back and forth and that's what debate is about. But if it doesn't suit your agenda or the nay sayers then quit.

It is a great place to work and you yourself loved it there (your words). So it would be nice be more positive about the good work, colleagues and experience that you gained the experience that may have assisted in you gaining your current position. Like many officers that have since departed the bmu, hopefully I will be too in the coming weeks for promotion and I can definitely place the experience I gained in this role to me getting the promotion.

Just like s9393 says, the promotion of officers in the civil service is the way it has been for years. The way civil servants get promoted was actually driven by the unions and is strictly adhered to, to ensure fairness to all officers to apply for the positions at the same grade and not just officers in a particular section or unit. The lowest level that positions can created is department level through internal competitions. Roles that carry premiums can only be done through expressions of interest at the grade in which the role requires an officer to be at. A better example that you would be aware of from the bmu and dept of justice is visa offices abroad. You can only apply at your current grade and cannot get promotion through this move.

Post edited by Uncle.Junior on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oficer2468

I see you claim a poster couldn't be further from the truth about what goes on the BMU I'm assuming you're talking about poster Aoife1049986 other than the promotion aspect what else is untrue? As a current bmu officer the poster is spot on with what they have said.

Post edited by oficer2468 on

I understand that the moral IS poor in BMU and has been for a good while now. There is a lot that could be changed out there with minimum fuss all for the better for everyone but there seems to be no appetite for change. If management did conduct a survey of staff, perhaps it might an eye opener for them but I would doubt it they be ever interested in conducting a survey. It's a pity as it could be a better place to work in with an improvement in moral and atmosphere

The atmosphere isn’t “really bad” as she says, unless you are one of the constantly negative that love dragging everyone into your misery. The supervisors don’t “work their own hours” any more than everyone else who benefit from an hour or two off here or there. Some officers seem to think they’ve a divine right to local arrangements and not working the hours they’re paid for. Officers can raise concerns in the same way as they can in any civil service office. And her promotion comment just added to the series of wrong statements. Hope that clears it up for you :)

I have no agenda at all..

As I have previously stated..... numerous times... You are obviously on one of the few teams where everything is perfect or maybe you are looking at it through rose tinted glasses... Whatever floats your boat....

I loved my time there... Would I like to go back....No I can't say I would as it has certainly changed and being honest not for the better. That's not to say it could change again but in its current format it wouldn't be for me..

As for this thread some people are extremely negative.....Are they embellishing a bit? Possibly... The circumstances change vastly depending on the team you are on.

However you are doing the same on the other side.. the BMU like every other section has its positives and its negatives... To deny all negatives is as stupid as to deny all the positives....

What are the shifts and hours that you work at present as an immigration control officer thanks

currently the roster works in an 8 week pattern that just repeats itself non stop so you can plan ahead as far as you want. It goes Day 1s (5am-5pm), Day 2s (6am-6pm), Nights (6pm-6am), Swing (2pm-2am). 

for example:

mon/tue Day 1

weds/thurs OFF

fri/sat/sun Day 2

mon/tue OFF

wed/thurs Nights

fri/sat/sun OFF

mon/tue Swing

wed/thurs OFF

fri/sat/sun Day 1

and continues on in same pattern as that

If you are rostered off on a bank holiday do you get a day in liew for same

Heard you do just would like to clarify same Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jimmy706

No day in lieu. You get 20% of your weekly wage including shift allowance and 28% for a bank holiday you’re rostered on.

• Advertisement

Great to meet all the new officers over the last few weeks. Best of luck with your teams.

Advertisement