Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A massive overhaul of how we progress lads from minor to U-20 has to be done. Whatever development panels we've been using in the past couple of years have come home to roost today. Hanley, who looked like a genius as minor manager, was tactically destroyed by Offaly today. A tiny man lad Molloy left on his own against 3 Offaly players and bombing in woeful ball to him is absolute suicidal hurling.

Some of the absolute worst defending you will every see too. The entire backline from 2-7 were shocking, and have been all campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jed68

Is Thomas Monaghan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hurlers doing well against KK, however as usual, you can’t shake them off.

Probably will slot over 25-30 points .

Not a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Good result for the hurlers……..great comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Delighted with the draw.

Delighted because we didn't deserve anything.

Shooting that many straight forward wides was criminal. Niland from a free, Whelan, K. Cooney, C. Cooney, C Mannion all with straight forward shots all missed. No issue lads striking and missing with 3 players hanging off them but these for the calibre of players were routine. All missed.

Defensively thought was ok. Half back line from a defensive point of view was fine. In possession though was very mixed. J Cooney had poor wides, P Mannion struggles to find a player in possession and either wastes it or takes so long he puts himself or the person passed too under too much pressure.

Glennon and especially C. Mannion (my favourite current player) were close to the losing of the game. Turned over so much ball it was crazy.

Forwards hit and miss. K. Cooney good with the bad. Niland one poor miss from free but hit everything else and grew into the game. C. Cooney poorest game in a while. C. Fahy good first half. Whelan despite some outrageous scores was quiet by his standards. Concannon fantastic. Good to see him back to form.

Subs played there part. No harm seeing Henry haul of Cooney and Whelan etc. Collins and McLoughlin got the scores to level it up.

Can't see some players playing as bad again. Would be confident of winning Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think concannon was outstanding today , nialland reminds me of cathal malone interms of work rate ,kevin cooney has had better days as has greliesh but cody was probbaly unmarkable today

as a neutral todays game was pretty good ,allow for mistakes when defenders are on your back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Whelan seems to be playing well below his normal standard since late last year. Even ruck ball where he normally dominates he's getting nothing. Lawlor cleaned him out yesterday.

Have yet to see Kevin Cooney show anything to suggest he's good enough to be in the first 15. His shooting yesterday was exceptionally poor.

On the plus side Daithi had a fine game and I thought Mcinerney did well considering who was in that FF line.

Cathal Mannion had tons of possession in the first half with mixed results. Got nothing in the 2nd half and what he did made very little use of. For such a talented hurler he very rarely puts in 8 or 9 out of 10 displays.

In the first half we worked the ball short and got alot of joy. In the 2nd we reverted to type lumping it long and getting caught on the break as we pushed lads up to compete for the puckouts.

We may win Leinster but KK looked to me like a team with more options when they really went for it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Is it too soon for us to be excited about Aaron Niland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Far too early. He isn't even on the senior club scene yet is he? He wasn't last year anyway. And he's a slight enough build. Throwing him in to IC in the next 2yrs could see him having a very short career.

As the u-20's proved this year unfortunately you can be white hot at U-17 and then be absolutely pedestrian a couple of years later.

Plenty of hype around these U-17's but realistically there need to be changes made developing players for older age groups. There's been big fallouts over S&C for example and Lukas has plenty of critics internally since 2018.

• Advertisement

He isn't but neither were lads like Kerill Wade or Shane Moloney at minor. Even a high potential player like Niland needs to be nurtured to physically and mentally survive playing against players at an all time speed/strength peak. Even lads of Rory Burke's talent seem to be able to break through and succeed at senior in nearly every other top county.

A lot of that is fair as we definitely haven't brought through or nurtured the amount of quality underage we've produced but having seen nearly all of Nilands minor games and speaking to others in those circles you hear "he's the best we've had since the great man himself". I've never felt that about a player till now and I definitely haven't heard it as often as you here it now.

Hopefully JC bring a selector will be of benefit too him and the other minors.

But look at 16 he's a couple of years away from even playing senior club let alone anything else.

Connacht winner

Ulster runner-up

Tyrone

Westmeath

or:

Leinster winner

Connacht runner-up

Roscommon

Kildare

Not straight forward. Obviously the Ulster runner up was the one to avoid as a seed two........

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Avon8

Shafted for the second year running, provided they do the business on sunday. Westmeath (with respect) offers a little respite but the difference between the pot 4 teams was so much less than the difference between the Ulster runners up and the other provincial runners up. Still, the bogey draw probably brought us forward a bit last year so hopefully can have a similar effect if we manage to go well in the group

Be interesting to see what our County Board/GAA Headquarters are made of. Galway have a home game against Antrim the 21st May. Our first game is home to Tyrone that weekend. Should be a double header. But probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Not ideal but at the moment its important to take Sunday's game on its merits first and build momentum for the group stages.

If we hope to compete with the top teams these are good challenges and worst case scenario we should get through in 3rd anyway.

I don't know what to think with Tyrone. I'm wary of them with the quality they have but since 21 all ireland things haven't looked right there.

Westmeath havent pushed on this year but still they were well up on Louth the last day so will be tough especially in Mullingar.

To be fair I don't think the seedings are ideal and it may end up a damp squib but on paper there's so many good games in those 4 groups and I'd say hope for nearly every team of advancing while still being important to win your group.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Tough draw for the footballers. 2 from Derry Armagh and Tyrone was going to make it probably the group of death. And we got it.

If we top thr group don't we get a fortnight off? That'd be the biggest goal for me, pray for no major injuries and then 2 weeks to get over any niggles.

Definitely. Seems like a no bariner

Assuming the hurling would have to be first, hopefully the largish portion of the hurling crowd with happy feet whenever the football's on second would actually stick around for a game of that importance!!

• Advertisement

The feeling is S&C is mainly overlooked with the exception of lads on the senior panel. The main critic is no longer with Galway GAA and looks to be making a big difference already elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

No chance.

There aren't 27k die hard matchgoing supporters from the 3 teams combined.

Whats our league max in both codes - 12k v Limerick I think?

There'd be more interest than a league match. Good weather only being one reason. Better i.e full strength lineups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

No Kerry or Dublin equals handy. If u had a fella with a head on his shoulders between the sticks, You’d have beaten Armagh by 5 or 6 and ye hammered Derry as it were

Should they win on Sunday then I'd still say Galway should be able to get at least 2 wins from that draw. It's tough but there's still a few lads like Rob Finnerty that probably need these tests to be able to succeed at the business end of the season in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Galway have seven games to play to win an all Ireland…we need a strong panel and Joyce needs to give everyone game time.He needs to rest our main players.

• Advertisement

How's that? Hardest possible draw in Connacht. Win Connacht then rewarded with the hardest possible draw when other provincial winners got Clare and Cork. Galway played every good team in the comp last year apart from Dublin. Their options at the QF stage were Armagh Clare and Cork. There was no draw for the semi finals, it was preordained as a Connacht v Ulster year

Soft draws are the likes of your own Mayo in 2016 and 2017. Getting dumped out of the province yet managing to get the easiest possible draw from there every step of the way to the final.

Advertisement