Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Either way it was a change of tactics by Russia and it managed to get one missile through the defences and hit the ammo depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

I assume the technology exists to create a cheaply produced ‘radar system’ that behaves in ‘ the same way’ as a real radar system and that can be placed ‘in the middle of nowhere’ and that can be remotely controlled and that is mobile. The Moscovies would then use their live arms to destroy it. But if it is constantly on the move the Moscovies might use a lot of ammunition to try and put it out of action and the UKr can trace the source of this ammo and do the necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

I assume the technology exists to create a cheaply produced ‘radar system’ that behaves in ‘ the same way’ as a real radar system and that can be placed ‘in the middle of nowhere’ and that can be remotely controlled and that is mobile. The Moscovies would then use their live arms to destroy it. But if it is constantly on the move the Moscovies might use a lot of ammunition to try and put it out of action and the UKr can trace the source of this ammo and do the necessary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've been doing it for months now. I read about it first probably summer last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Advertisement

Everyone and their dog (including the Russians) seem to be expecting the attack to come from there, which makes me think it's exactly what won't happen.

I am totally spit-balling here, but there's still only a 15-20 km between the Ukrainians and the two major Russian controlled roads that are going into Bakhmut. I don't know how well defended these areas are, but imagine if Ukraine cut these and 9-10 months of Russian gains being wiped out in say a month.

We'll see what happens, but I am expecting Ukraine to try something unexpected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The issue with that is that Bahkmut has absolutely no strategic value. They can also cut off a major supply road if they attack around Kremina which is effectively a twofer then. I expect Russia will be scrambling to drag units away from Bahkmut when this offensive comes to tackle it.

I really don't see the offensive being anywhere near Bahkmut. It's only on the radar because Russia have made it a symbolic fight, It holds nothing of value to Ukraine strategically that can't be gained by attacking elsewhere other than to keep Russian troops pinned there and grind them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Melitopol is the lynchpin for the to the occupied territories and Crimea,they would be wasting valuable men and equipment trying to take it back,(bakhmut)

There's bigger goals they need to take first

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That makes more sense to me. Retired missiles pulled out of mothball.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ukraine have been attacking near Kreminna for almost 6 months - they got close for a while but have been pushed back halfway to the Zherebets since.

The Luhansk region is the one Ukraine have been attacking the most in the last year following their success in Kharkov oblast.

They havent tried to push on in Donetsk or Zaporozhye yet, so most likely one of those regions will be focus of a new offensive.

• Advertisement

Someone just shared that meme the other night about Russian freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Apparently Poland has invaded Ukraine. We need to start another thread-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There are two types of decoys. The type which are expressly designed as such, and thus are cheap and can be carried in large numbers, and those which are conversions of active missiles. Normally those latter have the warheads removed and replaced by some electronics gear, either to make them harder to shoot down and thus suck up more ammo, or to aid other missiles with jamming and the like. Even if not, without a warhead the decoy missile will fly further and faster.

While their trolls are laughing at the idea that ukraine Will run out of air defense missles quicker than Russia ever will

That's a high valuation.

It was a mix of KH-55 (old) and KH-101 (modern).

The KH-101 indeed is valued at $13m. The older KH-55 is valued much less. Ukraine sold 582 of them to Russia in 2001, plus 11 bombers in a deal valued at $275m total. No idea what the bombers were valued at but regardless it puts the KH-55 way under $500k a piece.

Without knowing the mix I of the strike can't put a number on it, but surely way less than your estimate.

In any case talking about the cost (or value) of a missile strike is a complex topic. It goes beyond a simple tot up. How many missiles did Ukraine expend (usually 2-3 per successful shootdown)? How many do they have left? Did Russia hit anything strategic (something big definitely blew up in Pavlograd) ? etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Must say, you do seem to have gotten a fair bit more pessimistic in your postings over last few weeks.

On Ukraine's "Western" air defences as far as I understand they are limited because until very, very late in the day the US (I focus on them first as the main mover who everyone else seems to be looking to for leadership) and allies didn't want to give them any air defences with too long a reach.

In fact, I wonder are they limiting range of the missilies they will supply for Patriot say (I don't know if that is public and am not as into following these military details as many here)? Anyway I still think if there is a problem there (or a problem is developing) they will solve it before it becomes critical. Seems to me to be how NATO/US etc. have handled the whole war and support of Ukraine to date - react to and then deal with problems and/or changes in Russia's strategy and tactics when these occur and not before then.

On Bakhmut + accounts of artillery use there, it is one town/city and surroundings that Russia and "Wagner Group" appear to be obsessed with capturing at almost all costs for a very long time. IMO it is easier for them to focus a lot of their effort on it. They are capable of that, even if they have run down their Soviet stockpiles and can't overall fire as much as they did across a broader range earlier in the war.

On the Russian missiles, I think there has also been a fall off in frequency and size of the "barrages" they are launching at Ukrainian cities and infrastructure, hasn't there? Russia is never going to completely "run out" of either artillery shells or missiles to fire unfortunately IMO, never thought that myself anyway.

I don't keep claiming,

Tell us all then how many air defense missles ukraine has

,how many have you counted ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Advertisement

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

No not true again.....

Why are you trying to Claim I said something when I didn't.

Here's the answer to the question I asked you how many air defense missles ukraine has,

You don't know,

You don't know what ukraine has or what Russia has or has not ,

No you don't.

So you can jump up and down throwing a tantrum all you like ,it makes zero difference to me

@fly_agaric it's one of the issues being made public knowledge lately ,for most part it's what we've all known for last few months,

The international community are letting ukraine down ,

On Ukraine's "Western" air defences as far as I understand they are limited because until very, very late in the day the US (I focus on them first as the main mover who everyone else seems to be looking to for leadership) and allies didn't want to give them any air defences with too long a reach.

It's not about giving them anything with range it's more of a fact there is little to actually give and there is only a limited number of launchers but more importantly ammunition Wether it be artillery or anti aircraft, despite various claims on here over the last while there has been no massive ramping up of weapons productions in Europe or anywhere else, there has been a increase of production in one or two companies but that's it , we already know that the french are blocking production and purchasing of ammunition for ukraine,

The same people are telling us how Russia has run out of ammunition,men , missles,but yet day in and day out the Russians are still shooting a significant number of shells all day everyday which the Ukrainans cant keep up ,

The Ukrainans have told us they are out gunned by hundreds of artillery and rocket artillery systems,

Yes they have done brilliant with the very much limited HiMars which has the same issues very little units and ammunition available,so they can't cover the whole of Ukraine or the Big counter offensive,

Without aircover and equal amount of artillery and ammunition they could get bogged down,

Remember when people on here repeatedly said they were killing Russians at 10-1 ,7-1 and any number of different ratios then it came out it was more 1.1 -1.8 - 1 lossees not the big numbers many posted on here but then came well we don't want to talk about ratios, why because people were badly wrong,

But now we are getting the leaks are out of date ,the numbers are doctored by Russia,pick any excuse in-between to cover your a story,

And if really in doubt blame orc propaganda,

But it doesn't change a thing

It's public knowledge that they are running low on s300s it been public knowledge for months🤣🤣🤣🤣

As I said I you certainly don't know but your throwing tantrums when anyone talks about something,

If you don't know save your rants ,

Someone claimed they hit a railway tunnel too today, looks like the one I posted the other day too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tonight there was information about explosions in Sevastopol, the local Gauleiter reported that it was a PE-PE-O training.

Radio Liberty found out that in fact the explosion occurred at the base of Russian border troops near Simferopol.

According to the published photo, the explosion site is geolocated: this is the former training base of border guards near the Dzhabanak ravine near the village of Shkilne, a few kilometers from the airport of Simferopol.

... A distant smoke on the horizon.

Gotta love the oldies

M1910 maxim gun modified for a modern war ,these lads great grandfathers machine gun ,

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement