Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

All of those proposed ideas are just going to end up with keeping people away for town...my nearest city is Limerick...I avoid it like the plague, parking very expensive, next to nothing in the city... myself & OH will try and do breakfast in there once a month, but with parking, petrol & food we are forking out nearly €50 between us to have a nice breakfast once a month...and there are people wondering why local businesses can't survive, all the big chains get preferential rents in the big shopping centres, which again I rather avoid due to the fact they kill off towns and cities...and I hear talk of those shopping centres charging for parking...and they wonder why Amazon is making so much money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I work in Pfizer. I live in rural Laois. How do you suggest I get to work with my crazy shift patterns?

It'll never happen anyway, just the gombeen Greens justifying ther existence yet again.

Life doesn't exist outside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Forcing people to get 2 or 3 buses there and back will lead to talent leaving and looking at other countries where access to remote sites is easier.

As mentioned, better public transport first, then put in car restrictions. When people have a viable choice.

This levy will not force anyone to do anything. The idea behind it would be to help encourage those who do not need to drive to look at alternative options.

As for "better public transport options" these have been gradually improving over the last number of years. However, despite that, one of the greatest barriers to improving public transport in urban areas is actually people in cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Paying for parking in city/town centres I can fully agree with, stops people leaving their vehicles on a street all day, plus why should the use of public land for private cars be free for people coming in for a meal as in your example?

If all on-street parking was removed from city/town core areas it would lead to more commercial space for pubs/restaurants etc. safe walking and seating areas for people, basically creating areas for people not motor vehicles..

Extra tax on workers who have to come to work and where no viable alternative exists is what most people don't agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It may not work for you, but it may well work for a significant number of your colleagues

Parking DOES have to be paid for. The only question is who pays.

Surely employees who don’t avail of this expensive perk should have access to an alternative perk of equivalent value.

You're missing the point, quite spectacularly.

This need has already existed for as long as people have been commuting from these towns.....and not just Gorey either*. If the people who live near/on the PT links are already disincentivised to use them, then you haven't a hope in hell of getting those who live OUTSIDE the towns to use it. Why would anyone drive to Gorey, get the train to Heuston, Red Line to O'Connell Street and Green Line to the D2 area when they could drive the same distance in 1/3rd of the time? You think charging them for parking is gonna change that, when they're already paying for parking @ Gorey?

Why would anyone live in the hope that these dramatic improvements are coming, given the past 25 years of neglect by multiple governments towards new/exploding centres of population? Balbriggan has a population over 25,000 people, with an average age of just over 30 years old. Same population practically as Tralee or Kilkenny city. Ireland's youngest town, with SFA in terms of upgraded transport links and a traffic problem on the way to the motorway every morning. If their needs aren't being met, why would you expect any different?

Telling these people that there's a strong case for dramatic improvements to the train services which should be a local priority irrespective of blah blah bah is like spitting in their faces. You think they don't know this? Some of them have been highlighting it for more than two decades. I know someone who tried starting a campaign for school buses to/from the schools each morning, back in about 2003. Their kids are finishing college next year and they're still waiting on the bus to materialise (I understand some private crowd based out of Gormanstown started up recently).

*look at the success of private operators in the Louth/Meath/Kildare areas. Matthews buses prove that even those who live near the train station in Dundalk would rather get the (privately run) bus down each day due to reliability/frequency/financial issues. I've never known anyone from Dundalk who drove to the city, and never known anyone from Balbriggan who didn't drive, which is absurd. That's because the transport system was implemented when the need arose, not because they waited until it was urgently required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why would anyone drive to Gorey, get the train to Heuston, Red Line to O'Connell Street and Green Line to the D2 area when they could drive the same distance in 1/3rd of the time?

your calculation has a flaw - the train from gorey goes to connolly.

also, as far as i can see, it stops in pearse, which is in dublin 2 anyway.

I have proposed a free parking for people who spend money in the city...

Say I park in a multi story, and spent 30-40€ in the town I get my parking for free/reduced rate, it would encourage people into town, if that was the case I would probably go to town more frequently...also feel we should have parking lots on the outskirts...example being in Limerick, multi story carpark on Northside of the river, and have the city mainly traffic free, with a ring road along the river...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

There are no other option for most of those locations for shift workers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

No matter how 'safe, fast and efficient' public transport is, it will never sit by my door until it's convenient for me to use it. It won't keep me out of the rain. It will always involve the unpleasantness of dealing with the great unwashed.

A private car will always be a superior experience. People will not en masse willingly disimprove their living standards in the name of evironmentalism. Penalties and fines will need be imposed to actually make them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Even in Dublin public transport is not very compatible with shift work. In Galway / Limerick / Cork etc it is virtually unworkable for most employees, even those who live in the city.

For example. An individual who lives in Knocknacarra in Galway who needs to make a 6:30am shift start in Boston Scientific in Ballybrit has to get the bus at 10:40 the previous evening. And include 22mins of walking in their trip.

The transport options need to be made available in advance of any implementation of this proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

That made me laugh "A private car will always be a superior experience."

I think that those who have to sit on the M50 Carpark each day or inch their way through a city centre at low average speeds just to get to/from work would strongly disagree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

I look forward to you advancing the same argument on sick pay, maternity pay, or simply on taxes in general. Though I suspect I'll be waiting a while.

But to answer your question: ultimately, the costs of businesses are borne by consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Completely.

why not a tax you for parking on your property….driveway tax !? You can bet it’s been discussed…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

1400 employees on our site. 80% of them are on 3/4 cycle shift patterns. 12 hour shifts. A significant amount of them do not even live in the same county.

Imagine arsing around with buses etc before and after a 12 hour shift. It would make it a 16 hour day.

I'll stick to my car thanks.

What benefit would you offer people who spend €30-€40 and don’t take up space for a small apartment during their visit?If

If the employer pays, they are paying for a perk that is generally available to the higher earners in the organisation. Surely they should make an equivalent perk for their lower paid staff who can’t afford a car and for those staff who choose other modes of travel?

Well it would encourage more people to actually spend money on city centres, increased footfall...I have a buddy who has free parking in Limerick city centre with his new job...he now goes into the city every Saturday for breakfast with his partner, he's said it himself if he had to pay for parking, he'd not brother going into the city for breakfast as frequently, he also WFH 80% of the time, but still has access to the parking space all year around

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

"Statistically" footfall increases in city centres when you remove cars and make it more pedestrian friendly.

But it doesn't work for everyone.

• Advertisement

Imagine if employers like yours engaged with transport providers, public and private, and made sure that other options were available to avoid having 1400 people driving round with four empty seats each? Imagine how much they could save on land costs, infrastructure costs, maintenance costs by not requiring hundreds of parking spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

They would save nothing. These multinationals are extremely rich. They want people to be at work on time well rested, ready for action. They don’t want people heading home in the middle of urgent work because of a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Does that translate into higher turnover though? A decade ago I saw Bristol start to roll out a load of anti-car measures and it decimated a lot of businesses as people instead went to the shopping centres on the outskirts. Ironically South Gloucester actually pushed a contrasting pro-car policy and as a result lot of Bristol companies relocated to the likes of Bradley Stoke.

So you're just going to ignore the question about what benefit you would offer to people to who don't want take up a chunk of space?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

They already get a benefit. They get to use subsidised public transport.

If they want people to be at work on time, private car traffic is notoriously unreliable, with traffic delays, M50 shutdowns and more. Bus has some priority on the roads with bus lanes. Cycling is remarkably predictable, week in, week out, regardless of weather and traffic hold ups.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'well rested', but there is good research that students who walk or cycle to school better engage in learning, so it's not unreasonable to suggest similar benefits arise. Multinationals also want their staff to not die unexpectedly, given all the investments in training and developments, so the benefits of cycling and walking on reducing cancer rates, diabetes rates, obesity rates, coronary heart disease rates, hypertension rates and more.

There is a world outside of private car commuting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A terrible idea which will just alienate a lot of working people. More stick than carrot as per usual.

EDIT: I'm all in favour of a world where less cars are on the road. I don't drive, never have done and never will. That's my personal choice. But this proposal is short-sighted af.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Public transport and cycling in winter is grim. Also, you can’t come and go as needed with public transport, flexibility is massively reduced. Not suitable for many multinational jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s stupid, it’s insultingly crass… scummy idea

dublin has the worst public transport system of any major EU city of similar size and population and…people just are being further hit… in addition Dublin is now in the top 10 most expensive European cities in many experts view, not a thing to be pleased about but yet… ‘ hit them in their pockets for using a car’ too. For parking it..

when I lived in another major EU capital city I never considered driving…a metro with 16 lines now to be increased to 20….trams, buses, funicular, suburban rail ( 5 lines ); vs…. Buses, Luas ( 2 lines ) and Dart (1 line )…all ran at an unbelievably disjointed, inefficient not fit for purpose manner.

Tax is already paid by motorists…

motor tax

petrol / diesel tax

tax on purchasing said vehicles

So just tax on vehicles for using and parking them ? BS

whats after that ? Tax night driving ? Tax using the radio ? Tax keeping stuff in the boot ?

• Advertisement

That's not a benefit from their employer. And that's without even considering the subsidies to private motorists by the taxpayer.

Why should less well off staff, and more environmentally conscious staff not get the same benefits as their peers?

Advertisement