Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

They can afford it because (as is well documented) Leinster have a number of players on irfu contracts. The Leinster budget doesn't translate to players available to Leinster. Furlong has played 5 games for ireland and 5 for Leinster this year. He's essentially an Irish player loaned to Leinster. So Leinster need to signed alaatoa to fulfill fixtures. Similarly ngatai for henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But if they'd followed the rules of their domestic competition, they wouldn't have had the squad they did for Europe. So their cheating domestically directly affected their ability to win in Europe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - Which is why the choice of referee will be a big element.

If it's a referee that allows a free-for-all at the breakdown then life will be very difficult.

If it's a ref that will penalise LAR for lying on the wrong side and their frequent side entry offences then that neuters a big part of their game plan.

Owen Doyle in the Irish Times reckoned that they wouldn't pick a URC ref for the final so that excludes someone like Peyper so he reckoned it would be either Luke Pearce or Amashukeli.

Doyle thought it is more likely to be Pearce , but I think I'd prefer Amashukeli , think he's the better ref by far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

He's started at 6 only four times for Leinster and not since 2017. You'd be getting a better Doris but a much less effective Conan cancelling out any benefit of Doris at 8, and likely coming off worse on the whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement

Syd that's not the way to go. Rather, we should acknowledge that Leinster are Voldemort and Sauron. Evil bastards of the worst kind. How dare us provide so many players to our team and the other provinces. For shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Hips were always below the shoulder and landed square on his back.

Nothing burger.

Ridiculous trolling. Connacht with a squad full of Aussies and Leinster men.

If Healy starts this week, it will be his 1st start in quite some time. I'd be shocked if Porter does start. Ed Byrne getting injured and Milne picking up a hia weren't ideal.

Should Molony be rested? Or at least on the bench? Losing Molony would be a kick in the nuts. He's laying great and for me, will be involved in the world cup warm ups. Leinster could go with Jenkins and Baird this week. Maybe take a punt on Deeny benching.

I see Foley is back. I reckon he'll play a role this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Leinster have posted training pics on Instagram yesterday and today, interestingly I can’t see anybody that started against Toulouse in any of the pictures.

• Advertisement

I think the pictures on instagram today are the photos from the same Monday session.

From a shot they had of the player's GPS trackers, it looks like only Doris and Larmour from the starters were amongst the 34 players who took part, but does seem like Jamie Osborne was out there (along with Kelleher and Joe McCarthy):

Props: Temi Lasisi, Michael Ala'alatoa, Cian Healy, Tom Clarkson, Michael Milne, Jack Boyle

Hookers: : Tadhg McElroy, Lee Barron, John McKee, Ronan Kelleher

Locks: Joe McCarthy, Brian Deeny, Jason Jenkins, Alex Soroka

Back Rows: Scott Penny, Will Connors, Ryan Baird, Caelan Doris, Sean O'Brien, Max Deegan

Scrum Halves: Ben Murphy, Nick McCarthy, Luke McGrath, Cormac Foley

Out Halves: Harry Byrne, Charlie Tector

Centres: Robbie Henshaw, Ciaran Frawley, Liam Turner, Jamie Osborne

Back Three: Tommy O'Brien, Dave Kearney, Max O'Reilly, Jordan Larmour

Milne is fine, and eligible for selection. He trained yesterday (as did Jack Boyle and Healy as LHPs).

Molony has played a lot of minutes, but given he came off after 53 minutes I'd more expect him to start alongside Jenkins than Ryan this weekend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think Deeny is big enough to play TH lock so if he does feature it should be beside Jenkins (unless McCarthy is back, but I think he's a few weeks off yet?). I don't really think he's good enough either but it can be hard to tell with second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

Leinster signing over the years have been very astute. The last few I can remember

Ngatai: Had one cap for NZ but was not a household name in NZ. Even Lyon didn't massively rate him as Jackman said recently they only realised how good he was till he left. So hasn't been on big money

Jenkins: Leinster wanted a big second row because they felt it was an area they needed to combat La Rochelle etc, the only option was to take a backrow :-) from Munster and convert him into a second row. Jenkins had played little to no rugby for Munster and had a huge injury question mark over his name. Was not in the picture for SA when he signed so again I doubt he was big money but depended on what Munster gave him I suppose

Tomane: Came in as a centre backup due to Henshaw/Ringrose been away with Ireland, was an ok player and came from Montpellier. I doubt he was on massive money but no idea

James Lowe: Had medical issues which has a huge question mark over his long term career. No other clubs in Europe had any interest in him. Was called up to NZ squad but didn't play due to innjury. He said himself in an interview, he called his Dad when the Leinster option came up and they agreed he wasn't in the picture long term for NZ. Probably the biggest signing but with no competition and comign from NZ would it be massive?

JGP: was a sub in NZ for Hurricanes with 12 appearance and last man called in because another guy left. He had played for a Maoiri. Was not on radar for NZ, was not on radar for any club in or outside of NZ. I can't imagine he was signed for big money.

Ala'altoa: I honestly don't know much about him in NZ, was playing for the Crusaders.I don't think any club in Europe had eyes on him. Big money?

They also took in the likes of McKee/McElroy etc who are Irish qualified and again can't see any of them on big money.

If you look at the big money signing in Europe, Leinster are not in the picture. Not like the French and English teams splashing out millions on star players

The biggest signing recently went to Munster with the SA lads after the WC, also Ulster signing Vermeulen and the front row who name escapes me.

Maybe people could complain if Leinster had the money to sign multi million players from overseas to bulk up the squad, but its not the case and hasn't been for many years

P.S. I am sure I missed players but it was a long weekend and Leinster won :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That’s before you even get to the conversation about Leinster losing not only their first choice center partnership to Ireland for 12 weeks per season. They also lose their second choice too for significant periods of time in those windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Trying to buy a supporters skip cap online but none to be had anywhere (unless from China!). Somebody's missing a trick here.

The one you missed was Fardy. Who although he had something like 36 caps for Australia. I am not sure he would have been on a huge pay packet. Though you’d imagine it’s between 300-400k all the same for a capped second row.

How could I forget him. He came from Brumbies and the money in Aus isn't big. I doubt he was on that much because he came as a reserve player but ended up becoming hugely important. Whatever money he ended up been a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think you're underselling Ngatai there tbh based on a pretty flippant comment from Jackman.

In his 4 seasons at Lyon he was a central figure for them.

18/19: Started 23 of 26 games (for 1788 minutes) including European games as well as the Top14 playoff and Semi. Scored 10 tries

19/20: Started 20 of 21 games (for 1557 minutes) including European games (incl. against Leinster). Scored 5 tries and 4 pens. Played right up until round 17 when the season was suspended

20/21: Started 17 of 19 games (for 1208 minutes) including European games. Scored 5 tries and 2 pens. Appeared to miss a chunk of this season with injury and Lyon failed to reach the playoffs which would have curbed game time

21/22: Started 21 of 22 games (for 1440 minutes) including Challenge cup games (incl. the final which they won and he scored a pen). Lyon again failed to reach the playoffs which would have curbed game time

Overall I think it's fair to say he was a central figure in the Lyon squad especially for the first few years where he featured predominantly at home fixtures (top14 teams frequently prioritise these and send weaker teams away for Jiff quotas).

Equally he's remembered in NZ as a "what could have been" player by many if not for concussions.

Don't get me wrong. We have hardly signed a RWC winner for stupid money. But with his rep and the fact Leo worked hard to get him, I'd say he had offers and is comfortably on multiple hundreds of k a year

On this point too. A RWC finalist in a pivotal position that typically pays well. I'd say he was on good money

• Advertisement

I don't think Jackman was underselling at all and I wasn't either. The point was Lyon didn't actually realise how important he was till he left so they undersold him

• Subscribers Posts: 41,801 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and Fardy was worth even single cent we spent on him.

im delighted to be having him back on these shores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That'd be pretty brilliant if Osbourne and McCarthy were able to come back before the end of the season. They could make a big difference to the URC team.

Undersold him? We didn't buy him.

Possibly he was offered less than he felt he was worth by Lyon or maybe they needed to offload him for Jiff quotas.

or just maybe, they were happy the got the best out of him for 4 seasons and were willing to replace him with a similar younger NIQ.

and looking at kyle Godwins stats this season, versus Ngatais, you can't say they made the wrong decision.

Theyre 2 points off a playoff spot, and would expect to win at least 2 of their last 3 games... so very much in the hunt.

The point I'm making was that Ngatai is a much better asset than alluded to and while he was a very shrewd bit of business by Leinster which they have form with. He's an extremely accomplished player, would have been in demand and is likely commanding a fairly significant wage

Absolutely 100% up there with Isa as one of our best foreign players. I just don’t think relative to some SH signings, that he was on huge money.

while im always loathe to bet against leinster in any game, does anyone else think that the spread of -18 in leinster favour is way over the top for the sharks game?

theres no question the sharks will put out their best team possible, and Leinster certainly wont go full bore.

fully accepting that the sharks are incredibly inconsistent, but a fairly strong Leinster team took a fair while to beat a springbok less sharks by 20 points last october, with only 1 point between the teams at half time. Sharks with Chamberlain at 10 that day too.

now, they only have the URC to play for, especially to get HC rugby next season. They should have bosch at 10, mbonambi at 2, nche at 3, Grobler at lock, Am at 13, mapimpi on the wing.

i think that spread is about 8 points too strong (unless of course they ditch the URC and pack their currie cup team, but theyll hardly do that)

id imagine he is.

the point im also making is that perhaps Lyon arent exactly regretting the decision to let him go.

so an unusual case of all parties being happy with the result.

• Advertisement

Most of these players got let go because of JIFF and the clubs wanted to sign "Stars". Lyon seem to regret that

Advertisement