Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new PC - AMD Ryzen - Help Appreciated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

Just seen this, thanks, I will get on it, cheers.

The drive is not showing in bios.

Why Is My m.2 Drive Not Recognized in the Boot Priority List? There are lots of possible reasons for this, but the most likely culprit is a mismatch of partitions. If your system is running UEFI and your bootable drive uses an MBR partition, you won't be able to boot from it.

Do I need to format the drive? Or do I repartition it.

I was asked by windows to partition the drive and not being completely sure I believe I left it on the first option which was MBR if I remember correct. Then I downloaded free software and mirrored my c: drive to a d: drive successfully.

Then I restart in bios to select my new drive as boot option but not there.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the mirroring software did it's job, the partition table should also have been copied over, so the mbr part shouldn't be a problem.

Is the m.2 drive listed in boot option priorities at all? If so move it above the HDD.

No not listed. I sent a screenshot in my previous post. Boot options priorities is just a label and below it only shows my hdd drive.

Where would you go from here if you were me? I know the mirror of c: to new d: m.2 worked as I looked at both drives in file explorer.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My suspicion is that partition table is still MBR, and not modern GPT. What software did you use to mirror it? And what settings did you choose within it? Can you boot with the HDD, and check what the drive shows in disk management?

There's a tool in windows to covert from MBR to GPT, but I'd like to confirm the state of it first.

• Advertisement

I was just about to take your advice and exit bios without saving. Then I noticed this Boot Overide label which shows 2 drives including my new Samsung SSD.

Does this have any relevance? Or will I continue to windows and do as you suggested?

Thanks so much for your time.

note: I will tell you software I used for mirror when I get back into windows.

Ok so I think boot override is only for 1 time so I just went back into windows.

The free software I used to mirror was Macrium Reflect https://www.macrium.com/

The settings I do not completely remember what I choose but here is a screenshot:

And below is a screenshot of disk management:

Can you advise of the tool to convert from MBR to GBT or how I should proceed please?

Thanks a mil.

Yeah, boot override is just a one-off choice thing.

To convert from mbt to gpt, here's the MS official instructions:

Ok, so I try and Convert an MBR disk with Disk Management but one of the partitions would not delete, help was the only option so I run cmd promp as admin and follow guidelines to convert gpt my Disk 1.

The question I have now is regarding cloning my C: to new SSD M.2 via free software Macrium Reflect

If I clone will it not make my new SSD M.2 go back to MBR? Or have I got that wrong?

I can not go into BIOS now and say boot from my new SSD M.2 even thought I suspect the option is there before cloning? When I clone I go back to MBR and need to be GPT.

Do you have any advice on how I should proceed?

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid, I never did this before.

Thanks.

That's my fault, I should have been more explicit. I was referring to using the diskpart command lines section of the instructions, to convert the disk with the partitions in place, and not the disk management ones that require deleting the partitions. You'll need to reclone the HDD to it again at this point.

• Advertisement

My suggested approach then:

get the m.2 into a good state, by cloning the HDD to it, and convert to modern GPT mode with diskpart commands.

Prepare a Windows 10/11 USB stick, disconnect the HDD SATA cable, then run the recovery from that USB stick to have it check and ready the m.2 boot files to fix any issues.

Once that's booting on it's own, then the old HDD can be reconnected and wiped, to avoid Windows objecting to multiple installs.

I went back and cloned C: to M.2 SSD D: and then I go into command prompt (run as admin) and do the following:

1. At the DISKPART prompt, enter list disk. Make a note of the MBR disk number that you want to convert to GPT format.
    2. At the DISKPART prompt, enter select disk <disk-number>, where <disk-number> is the MBR disk number to convert.
    3. At the DISKPART prompt, enter convert gpt to convert the MBR disk to the GPT partition format.

I then get this error:

Here is a screenshot of disk management now:

What should I do now? Did I miss something?

Thanks.

When you use the Command Prompt to convert the disk, you may receive: "Virtual Disk Service Error: The specified disk is not convertible". The reason for this error is that there are partitions on your hard disk. The Command Prompt supports converting MBR/GPT to MBR/GPT, but one of the most important conditions is that there are no partitions on disk, including system partition. So you must clean the partitions on the hard disk before conversion.

So this means for my SSD M.2 drive to convert to gpt it needs not to have partitions but when I clone my C: it creates a partition.

I am not currently sure what the solution would be to resolve this.

It's been a while since I've had to this process myself, it seems my memories are outdated. Diskpart won't do it through the command line without wiping partitions either. MS do have a tool called mbr2gpt

That's the one I remember having to use myself years back.

I messed up:

I thought by changing the directory to D:\Windows\System32 it would auto know I was talking about disk 1. So I have converted my current C: hdd to GPT.

What are the consequences of that?

It worked in converting to GPT on both C: and D:

What about the error messages I got while doing this in command prompt? Should I act on them?

Also should I update my BIOS? I think I learned that I should boot to UEFI mode, is this correct?

What would your advice be for me now?

Man, I hope I am not a pain in the ass, I am feeling like one at this stage, haha.

Thanks.

You should already be in UEFI mode from the previous screenshots.

Download and run the Windows Media Creation tool from MS, and prepare a USB drive with it. That will allow you to boot from it, and use it to run recovery mode. This is mostly a safety net in case Windows still won't boot from the m.2 drive. Windows often doesn't like it when drive numbers change, so we can use it correct that. Once that's ready, keep it to one side, and see if the BIOS can see the m.2 drive and let it be selected from booting from, and see if it'll boot from it.

If I already have a Windows 10 install file, can I just use that? Original disk I got. I already have all my important files backed up. What would the difference be in me using windows 10 media creation tool instead of that?

The Media Creation Tool is more up to date, and has a built in system to prepare a USB disk. If you have anything else that can boot to the recovery tools, it should do fine.

Fair enough, I will format a usb, create one of these and follow your instructions, thanks.

This worked, I selected my Samsung SSD from BIOS as boot option 1 and saved and exited.

I check Disk Managment and my C: Drive is now Disk 1 which is the PCIe 3.0.

I have two final questions:

1. Is there anything else I need to do now?
    2. These System Reserved D: and F: 500MB each. Can I use these? What are they exactly?

Thanks for all your help, you are a legend.

And also thanks to everyone who helped me do this. Maybe there is some info in this conversation that can help anyone else trying to do this in the future.

• Advertisement

The reserved sections are used for the boot stuff and automatic repair files, they're required. Windows doesn't really boot from the C: partition, and hence also why the first 500MB one is the one marked active.

How's the boot speed from the m.2 now?

After this, you may want to check the new RAM speed in the BIOS. It's probably defaulted to 2133MHz, and not the 3200MHz it's intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just wipe the HDD now so you do not have two of the same discs. Leave those partitions on the M2 as they are needed by Windows.

Well actually before you wipe it. Boot up the PC with the HDD disconnected just to see if everything is working fine with the new M2.

Speed is great, computer feels great I must admit, ty.

Ok so do not touch the d: and f:

Its interesting you brought up RAM as I wanted to ask but thought I ran out of questions to ask.

I am in BIOS now and see this:

I looked up x.m.p and not sure if it is worth enabling, some people saying it can cause crashes.

Is there anything here I need to change?

My BiOS is old too:

But I read that I should not update BIOS if pc is working without issues which luckily enough it always has. A bit confused on the BIOS & UEFI but not important.

XMP is safe normally. Those are manufacturer tested settings, you should be fine to enable it.

If you've any concerns about the BIOS, then don't update it. That said you may want to check the BIOS update notes for your board, there may be some security fixes for various CPU exploits.

Thanks for help, advice and your time.

Would there be any issue in not disconnecting hdd, using it as a back up drive? I also have a couple of external back up drives. I make sure to have 2 backups all the time in case one ever fails.

I would prefer to take that route unless necessary. And I can delete stuff on hdd too if necessary rather than format.

Ok, I took your advice and enabled it and see the increase there to 3200MHz.

I will think about updating BIOS.

Thanks a mil.

If you're curious try running CrystalDiskMark on both the drives to see the speed difference. It wouldn't hurt to make sure you're seeing the improvement.

Bad news, since I enabled x.m.p my PC starts and turns off.

I can’t get into BIOS to turn it off.

Would it have to do with too much power from 64gb ram at 3200 MHZ?

Would removing a ram stick, turning on and going back to bios to switch back work?

Any advice for me?

• Advertisement

You have to clear the CMOS. It can be a button but I'd say on your MB it's two pins you need to bridge with a screw driver. Do it with the PC off but with it still plugged in.

Advertisement