Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new PC - AMD Ryzen - Help Appreciated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

Number 14 = CLR_CMOS

Can you point it out to me? I can’t figure what I’m meant to press.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It may just be retraining the memory, which would show as a series of restarts as it tests settings. Have you tried letting it run for a few minutes first?

Actually I see it via the writing in image. But not sure how to press it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You don't press it, you short the two pins with a screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Touch the two pins with a screw driver. The two long points.

• Advertisement

Do you guys recommend I let it go for a few spins? I let it go for about 4 already?

Should I clear CMOS or let it run?

I have no idea.

Thanks?

Let it go for a few minutes and see if it can successfully train the timings. Ryzens can be slow when to do so for the first time.

Mixed answers there. I’m letting it run and been going on and off for about 10 times. Does that damage my PC going on and off like that?

How long before giving up here? Times I should let it turn off and on? Or minutes?

Clear the CMOS it should only take a minute or two to boot while training.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's too long, time to clear the CMOS.

Clear CMOS did not work, touched 2 pins with screwdriver. PC still going on and off? Any idea? The clear CMOS instruction is a bit vague, touch off 2 pins with a screw driver while machine is off. That is it?

Yes. Plugged in with it off. So in the state it is in just before you press the power button to turn on PC.

So you are shorting the two pins not touching one at a time and hold it for a few seconds.

Yes with no power but plug in, tried with it off too. 2 pins. You highlighted with a screw driver. Holding for 20 seconds.

PC still turning on and off.

What are my options now?

Thanks.

Take out the battery for a few mins then plug it back in. Annoying I know but the short should have fixed it. Just to add do this when computer in off and unplugged.

You mean my power cord? I do not think my PC has a battery?

Bit annoying alright but I still appreciate the help I got from everyone. You guys took time out to help me for abso nothing so all good. I’m learning too.

I was thinking if this does not work, could I put my old ram back in which is max 2100 MHz or something, that could be an option? Then go to bios, switch back to disable extra RAM, switch RAM back.

Would that be an option?

Every PC has a small CMOS battery.

I could be wrong but it looks to be under your GPU.

That is the battery I went back and looked at your other pictures.

• Advertisement

That’s it alright. Now to figure out how to take it out. This is fun right?

Yes have it out, took GPU out first. Wait a few mins and put it back?

Could this need to be replaced?

It might be more convenient to pull out three of the four sticks of RAM. From a bit of reading the Ryzen 1700 seems to have often struggled to make the full 3200MHz with a large number of DIMMs like this.

No it does not need to be replaced. Well technically it will eventually when the battery dies.

Yes just wait a few mins and then re-install the battery.

Ok so took battery out and waited a few mins. Put everything back and same issue.

If I take out RAM sticks, should I replace them with old RAM? Should I take them all out?

Any idea how to approach it?

Ideally I can get into BIOS and switch RAM back to <3000 MHz, put back new RAM and everything works again.

Take out three and see if it can get the remaining one to 3200MHz.

I’ve tried it all at this stage. Different RAM, less RAM, took CMS battery out. Clear CMOS.

None of it works, PC keeps turning on and off.

Unless you have any more advice or things I could try. it might have to be brought somewhere to be fixed?

I'd take out the new RAM and install one stick of the old and then leave PC off for a while. And clear the CMOS one last time.

Tbh it should have worked after clearing CMOS by shorting the two pins. And if there was something strange going on then when you removed the CMOS battery it would have wiped all memory of the PC when trying to train at 3200MHz.

• Advertisement

This should be solvable without spending money needlessly.

Clearing the CMOS should have worked though. How long do the restart cycles take? Does it restart after 4 seconds exactly?

Advertisement