Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madigans off licence closed down

Options
  • 10-03-2023 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Anyone have any info on madigans off licence its closed over a month solid very unusual he never closed that long i reckon hes gone, heard rumours he passed away but nothing confirmed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

He is in hospital at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eddie r

Cheers for that update i hope hes well and back in action soon hes a real character

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

In fairness, he must be some old age now all the same....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Sorry to hear that hope he recovers soon. The dog must be about 20yrs old by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,156 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He's out of hospital anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Muttley79

Lads,is there anywhere sells large bottles of Mcardle's or phoenix around the town anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I've seen bottles of McArdles in 21 on Manor Street. That was pre Christmas so couldn't tell you if they still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

They stopped making phoenix approx two decades ago. Was my drink back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭curmudgeonly

No reflection on the mans health but it is sinful that fine building has lain empty for so many years, the common good and a persons right to property are something we have not yet tackled in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

pretty sure hes running it as a going concern albeit only the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Completely agree! So many cases that I could mention here that lie in squalor or neglect and completely nothing done about it and most of them are within 200 metres of city hall. No one there gives a fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

are yee honestly saying that we should be taking peoples homes and businesses off of them when they get older? sure if that's the case why aren't we putting compulsory purchase orders on older people homes when they are elderly and the children have all fled the nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

No! What I'm suggesting is where a property falls into a derelict state then it should be compulsory purchased.

If Paddy or Mary can't maintain their property then maybe it's time they moved to smaller accommodation!

Have a walk through the city & you don't have to look too hard to find both derelict properties or businesses.

From the Manor, all along Parnell Street & the Quays are a host of empty buildings that something should be

done with. People are screaming for a place to live & yes, these areas might not suit everyone, they will

suit someone! It's taking too long for the authorities to react to this issue in my opinion!

I agree with the premise of what you're saying, but in this instance that particular person probably hasn't got a penny to his name and is living on a very low income, he probably wouldn't be in a position financially to upgrade or repair his home/premises but at his age or stage of life the only guarantee they or he has is his home. If you are lucky enough to buy your own property and lived the majority of your life there and someone said to you when you were in later life down on your luck hadn't got much to get by on, hey your house is in disrepair and this building is too big for you, we are buying it and you're out, I have to say most of us wouldn't want this to happen to us in our later years.

Cruel comes to mind thinking of doing this to people, sure lets get him out and give it to the council, let them give it to a family from god knows where and they can in turn rent rooms out at 14k per year tax free??

The system is right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Valhalla90

To be honest the majority of Manor street is only fit for demolition it’s such a bleak and depressing street in the city. The buildings are mostly run down with no maintenance at all. And the highlight is the derelict Harvey’s building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah thats a real decrepit eyesore of a building. Id imagine the rats and pigeons completely run Harveys now. Plus the buulding at the corner of Manor Street near Bunkers Hill that used to do Copying and Fax (!) Could be converted into social or affordable housing.

I would say there are a lot of buildings in general with no exterior maintenance, if you go to the inner ring road, just past the car garage you come to a junction before the roundabout at the church, there is white apartment block on the corner and id say its less that 10 years old but the exterior is shameful but that's just one building of many, I don't think age of building or age of owners necessarily have anything to do with it at the time.

There is a beautiful new apartment block being built directly across from that, no one in them yet, they will all be council lets, that building will be absolutely destroyed on the exterior in a few years,

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Valhalla90

This apartment building is shameful I totally agree. The new block across the street looks very well with the brick.

I'm gonna be controversial here and say that building will also be run down in a couple of years, that whole block is for social housing or for people on housing lists, its sad to say but it will become run down in a few years, and I bet its the best standard of build.

But I think in the design process Architects should factor in what type of finishes they use and long term maintenance or stipulations or explanations of how buildings need to maintained, then again who says they don't do this. for example the render or houses in Carraig An Aird is finished using K Rend, a sand like substance very exposed to Algae green and red bacterial growth which makes the exteriors look awful.

The other thing I could never understand is glass canopies, they look good in a design but the required cleaning and maintenance is very difficult and labour intensive, Whitfield clinic entrance is always filthy, the old B+Q building, (huge pointless glass front) can you imagine how much that high rise glass front cost and it has no practical purpose, supervalue glass canopy all a nightmare to keep, but i suppose the point is general up keep and maintenance if its not kept on top of it will go to pot.

Advertisement