Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Pathways

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Tector doesn't look polished or a natural. He kinda grew on me as his u20's season went on. He's definitely got a chance. Harry B is an injury machine and with the world cup in September, Tector may get minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If Harry Byrne could get some extended injury free run, he could end up being the number 1 guy though too. He’s so talented .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I can give you chapter and verse in terms of stats if you want to show how Leinster have a far better track record of backing their younger players

I've never disputed this. But just because Munster don't produce from their academy to the same level as Leinster, doesn't mean their academy output is poor. Leinster are the outlier here. Leisnter are pretty much the outlier in world rugby.

For the record, Munster promoted 9 players from the academy at the start of last season. Can you tell me the last time another academy promoted as many players? And I'm pretty sure guys like Crowley would be in year 3 academy but for being promoted early.

You already have an NIQ centre coming in, which takes you level with Leinster

That's simply not true, because he's replacing the NIQ centre who's leaving.

and if you sign the NIQ front rower, OH and now SH you want...

Again that's not true; I've never said I want us to sign a NIQ in all those position. What I've said from the outset is that, because we have the lowest number of NIQ players, I think we have scope for another. I don't think it'll be in the front-row. I think it could be at 9 or 10 tho.

With regards Tector:

• Yes he had 6 appearances. That amounted to 50 minutes. It's hardly an enormous number.
    • 19 points; that was the average lead Leinster had when he was introduced across those 6 games. Munster, or any province, don't have that luxury.
    • 9 points; that was the minimum lead Leinster had, vs Ulster, when he was introduced. Tector got 1 solitary minute. See the trend?

With regards Prendergast, well, it was literally days after he made his debut, in a game of no consequence to Leinster.

It would be a phenomenal coincidence if it just happened that all these guys who wither and die in academies without gametime were actually all just not up to it.

Ok, can you give a few examples of a guy who Munster didn't back who ended up proving them wrong elsewhere after leaving Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭phog

When or who was the last scrum half to regularly play for Ireland that was home produced by Leinster.

I think we've had Stringer, Redden, TOL, Murray and now Casey. Throw in Boss & JGP and that's basically our scrumhalfs in the last 22 years

If pathways to professional rugby was as easy as giving game time no province would need NIQ or project players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Didn't realise Hernan had been injury enforced. Had presumed he just wasn't up to standard.

Disregard.

I think you'll find I didn't.

The post you're quoting was from me at 2:18pm:

Whereas, you'd already posted this at 2:13pm, which is the first mention of recruiting to cover this absence.

Source on them calling for an NIQ player?

The post directly above this one, was the first one where the very first instinct is to fill a gap with a signing rather than look to the academy.

Yeah, it's almost like I made something up 🙄:

and the two pages of posts following that, which are making the argument for a NIQ 10.

There are more going further back on calls for NIQ tight heads and hookers as well.

So maybe do some actual reading before accusing me of making something up.

Just because some posters call for NIQ signings doesn’t mean Munster don’t back their academy.

I’m pretty sure Crowley, Buckley and Kendellen are 3 guys who would still be in the academy this season but for being promoted early.

Between them they have nearly 2000 minutes.

That’s pretty much the definition of backing your academy.

• Advertisement

We have no idea how good guys like Tony Butler, Ethan Coughlan, Jack Oliver etc are, because of the scarcity of opportunities they get.

You give Tector as an example of a guy Leinster back because, at the time, he had 6 appearances.

This amounted to 50 minutes.

You give Coughlan as an example of a guy Munster don’t back. He has 2 appearances.

This amounts to 55 minutes.

Can you see the issue there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Munster's academy production issues aren't due to what they're doing now - which is good. Its from what they did 3-8 years ago. They almost had an entire generation of non-production after Murray/POM/Earls

That’s a completely fair comment.

I just don’t see how anyone can hold the opinion that Munster still don’t back their academy, based on what we’ve seen over the past 2-3 seasons.

Agree with this. Lots of players fast tracked. Kendellan, Casey, Hodnett all got playing time. Quinn has played too!

This is correct by timing but you did in fact mention buying in cover, then you went polar opposites for some reason.

Anyone that followed rugby will know why Munster brought in Alby Mathewson and we're not a hundred miles from a similar situation again. We're sending 2 homegrown scrumhalves to the RWC, our 3rd choice just picked up a long term injury so we may need to consider cover.

Our pathways for scrumhalf has been more than decent compared to other provinces, of the 12 that been in RWC squads since 1999 seven have started rugby at Munster.

Yeah, I think this is a fair comment on balance.

I looked at the stats comparing the two academies over the past 10 seasons (would do similar for Ulster or Connacht if they had the data clearly located somewhere), and while Leinster are far more productive overall, there is evidence that Munster have been more productive and giving more opportunities in recent seasons.

If you exclude this year's intake (2022/23) for both teams, then Munster have had 71 players in their academy from 2012/13-2021/22, and Leinster have had 75 over the same period. 29 of those 71 are still with Munster, and 41 of Leinster's intake are still with Leinster.

Leinster's academy graduates played 2,737 times for Leinster, versus 1,397 for Munster's players. Leinster's academy garnered 501 Irish caps versus 23 for Munster.

12 of Leinster's 75 players never played a senior game for Leinster (and some interesting names in there: Gavin Thornbury, Billy Dardis, Harrison Brewer) + some unfortunate injury retirements (Charlie Ryan, Mark Hernan).

26 of Munster's 71 players never played a senior game for Munster.

39 of Munster's 71 played 5 or fewer games, 19 of Munster's players played 20 or more games.

24 of Leinster's 75 played 5 or fewer games, 38 of Leinster's 75 played 20 games or more.

2 Munster players made over 100 appearances, 9 Leinster players made over 100 appearances.

8 Munster players were internationally capped. 24 Leinster players were capped internationally.

Comparing class by class every season, every single year the Leinster group garnered more Leinster caps than their equivalent class did Munster caps.

The international caps are higher for Leinster in every year bar 2013/14 (3 for Munster to 1 for Leinster) and 2020/21 (3 for Munster to 1 for Leinster), and the median number of club appearances is higher for Leinster in every year except 2020/21.

Munster have only 2 years where the median number of caps by their academy players is in double digits - (52 caps is the median for the class of 2016/17 which contained Gavin Coombes, Shane Daly, Calvin Nash, Fineen Wycherley) and (34 is the median for the class of 2020/21 (Crowley, Buckley, Kendellen). Munster have 4 years where the median number of caps is zero. The average median (if that makes sense) number of caps in any given academy class for Munster is 9.6 (skewed highly by the class of 2016/17).

Leinster by contrast have only 2 years where the median number of caps is in single digits - 2015/16 (5 cap median) and 2021/22 (3 caps median). Just like Munster's most productive ever class was 2016/17, so was Leinster's. That group gained 548 total caps (72 median) plus 182 international caps (this was Connors, Deegan, Keenan, J O'Brien, Porter, Ryan, Larmour). The average median (once again, hope this makes sense) number of caps in any given academy class for Leinster is 30.

The overall median number of caps for Munster over the period is 3, whereas for Leinster it is 20.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, I excluded this year's class because you wouldn't expect these guys to have international caps etc yet, but had I included them, it would have been a continuation of the same trend - Leinster have awarded 19 caps to their current Year 1 class, versus 4 for Munster).

If you look at the last three intakes (so including class of 2022/23), Munster's 17 players have played for Munster 133 times, versus Leinster's 23 players who've played for Leinster 164 times, so some indication of a greater willingness to back youth in recent times. Contrast this with the period 2012-15 where 22 Munster players across three intakes earned 551 caps, while the 22 Leinster recruits earned 1,358 caps.

A lot of numbers in that, and denser than I'd hoped, but hopefully makes sense.

Are you being serious? You are saying there is something wrong with a provincial system based on people on boards.ie saying they would like to see an NIQ 10?

What’s happening dude. You are flailing.

The fact is they have two not counting Healy and as of now will have two next year.

The idea that Leinster players are better because they get playing time earlier is obviously flawed. Its more likely they get playing time earlier because they are better players or they come in to the academy more developed.

Mix in the fact that Leinster have many more low leverage minutes than other provinces available… and it explains itself.

If you stuck any other provincial system on top of the dublin school system (especially blackrock and st michaels who have 7/8 (!) of the recent academy intake) you would see similar numbers. Not identical but much more similar.

Leinster generally are not playing guys who are not ready to play. There is a reason why they can play their C team and be generally competitive with bad teams.

I've no interest in going round and round on this with you.

You're asking "who was calling for NIQ signings" and I highlight a number of fans calling for it. Clearly I was referring to fans on Boards here, as opposed to Graham Rowntree out calling for the signings ffs.

You keep highlighting this point around Leinster having "low leverage" minutes, but Leinster intersperse their young players into their squads all through the year, not just in garbage time games at the end. At any point this season Leinster would have given substantially more minutes to academy players than peers.

The production line in Leinster is unquestionably better than the other three Irish provinces, and has been for 10 years + now, but in addition to that, I think the coaching and development has been considerably better in Leinster too.

There are countless examples of players who have visibly improved to a significant degree after they join the Leinster system - look at guys like Josh van der Flier, Hugo Keenan or Dan Sheehan - all relatively unheralded underage prospects who absolutely nobody would have seen as being amongst the very best players on the planet within a couple of years.

To take your viewpoint on this as factual would reduce the role of Head Coach / Director of Rugby down to nothing more than simply identifying the best players, picking them and setting out the tactics. There's a lot more to it than that.

I didn’t say coaching and development wasn’t good in Leinster. I’m saying the obvious reason why players would play earlier is that they have near pro level schools providing much more developed players. If one or two schools produce that many players, then that should be the starting point of the logic chain. It would be different if these guys played early and really showed hard growing pains. Often they look quite good right away. That suggests to me that they are playing because they are ready.

I don’t think any of those examples really support your argument. Dan Sheehan didn’t play a game at Leinster before his first senior contract. If Keenan did three years in the academy, he did 17 minutes total before his third year. It was trickier with JdF but it looks like he got all of his academy minutes in his last year of the academy which i believe was his third year.

All three of those had the type of development path that you criticize other provinces for. I personally think that’s basically the standard route except for freaks/some graduates of professional level secondary schools.

Post edited by ulsteru20s on

• Advertisement

That’s a lot of stats about the last 10 seasons. But absolutely nobody is disputing whats happened over 10 years.

Posters are disputing you saying Munster still, currently don’t back their academy. That’s patently. Simply. Not. True. Base on what we’ve seen over th last 2-3 seasons.

For example, and I’m repeating myself:

• Munster promoted 9 guys from the academy at the start of last season. Any comment on that?
    • Crowley, Kendellen and Buckley are all guys who would still be in the academy this season but were promoted early. They have nearly 2000 minutes this season. Any comment on that?
    • You suggested Leinster back Tector but Munster don’t back Couglan. Tector had 50 mins over 6 appearances. Couglan had 55 mins over 2 appearances. Any comment on that?

Look forward to your response.

Bottom line here, in this case we (Munster) are sending two home produced SHs to the RWC our 3rd choice (signed from Leinster) is injured.

Has any province ever suffered the loss of 3 scrumhalves at the same time and managed without some temporary cover

For one of the rugby cups I remember Leinster resigning Cillian Willis from Connacht or Ulster when they lost both their (products of other clubs) two SHs to a RWC

• Munster promoted 9 guys from the academy at the start of last season. Any comment on that?

And by the end of this season, 4 out of 9 will be gone (French x2, Healy & Flannery); I don't think it's as meaningful a stat as you seem to think it is. You're banging on elsewhere about "when was the last time a province promoted so many players", but it's fairly meaningless when almost half of them are gone within a season (while barely ever playing in all bar Healy's case).

• Crowley, Kendellen and Buckley are all guys who would still be in the academy this season but were promoted early. They have nearly 2000 minutes this season. Any comment on that?

Yeah, clearly it's a very good class, and tbf Munster have backed this group and given them minutes. But the stats did highlight this was an anomalous group over the period, and one of the only ones where the median caps is over 10.

• You suggested Leinster back Tector but Munster don’t back Couglan. Tector had 50 mins over 6 appearances. Couglan had 55 mins over 2 appearances. Any comment on that?

You're trying to seize upon the one player which you think helps your example, and in this instance you use minutes instead of caps because it helps your scenario.

Charlie Tector has played 7 times for Leinster for 92 minutes. He was also an unusued sub on anoter occasion. So he's been part of the match squad 8 times this season, as a Year 1 Academy player, in a position where Leinster are stacked with talent. He would have even more minutes, except Leinster opted to back an even younger Year 1 Academy player in Sam Prendergast for those two starts in SA.

Contrast this with Ethan Coughlan's two solitary appearances this season - a half an hour against an Ospreys team that were being pulverised (the week a lot of them thought they were on the verge of losing their jobs), and 25 minutes against Scarlets, when injury forced the move as the full back was hurt when Munster had already used their back replacement.

I really don't think this example points to Munster having invested more time, effort or development in Ethan Coughlan than Leinster have into Charlie Tector.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

In the last 3 seasons, Munster have:

• Promoted 19 players. (Excluding Knox and Paddy Patterson, that's 17). 13 remain at Munster.
    • They have 65 starts, 72 subs appearances this season.
    • It totals 6078 minutes
    • Those 13 players have played an average of 467 minutes.

In the last 3 seasons, Leinster have:

• Promoted 12 players. 10 remain.
    • They have 59 starts, 40 sub appearances this season.
    • It totals 4725 minutes.
    • Those 10 players have played an average 472 minutes.

So in the last 3 seasons Munster have promoted more players, who have more starts, more subs appearances and more minutes this season, and comparable average mins vs Leinster.

But somehow Leinster back their academy, and Munster don't?

You're talking arrant nonsense.

Contrast this with Ethan Coughlan's two solitary appearances this season - a half an hour against an Ospreys team that were being pulverised (the week a lot of them thought they were on the verge of losing their jobs), and 25 minutes against Scarlets, when injury forced the move as the full back was hurt when Munster had already used their back replacement.

Christ on a bike, talk about misrepresenting facts and talking up your own guy 🙄

Tector was only trusted in games that were well and truly won by Leinster but somehow Coughlan's game-time is discounted because we were hammering Ospreys or an injury forced cap.

Here's how Leinster used Tector in all those tight games that were must win.

28/10/22 Scarlet - he got 9 mins but Leinster were ahead 28-5, maybe even 35-5 because I'm not sure was the PT awarded before Tector made the pitch.

2/12/22 Ulster - he got the one min cap

28/1/23 Cardiff - he got 15 mins when Leinster were ahead 31-0

18/2/23 Dragons - he got 10 mins when Leinster were ahead 31-14

4/3/23 Edinburgh - he got 11 mins when Leinster were ahead 47-20

and then he got game-time in the tour to SA which Leinster weren't really bothered about.

Where did I claim Tector played must win games?

Leinster's average winning margin in games won this season is 21 points. Based on your views here, none of Leinster's replacements ever get meaningful minutes.

My numbers differ slightly, but would broadly align. Think they're slightly skewed lower in the Leinster case by injuries suffered by Jamie Osborne, Tommy O'Brien and Joe McCarthy, with really only Tom Ahern the only Munster player who you feel would have played a fair bit more but for injury.

I have said multiple times throughout this thread (and the predecessor) that Munster have improved significantly in this regard of late. I don't think these stats are illustrative of Munster outperforming Leinster in this area. A key distinction you've overlooked here is the starting position of both sides, prior to the period you're assessing for. Leinster won multiple league titles on the bounce, won a European Cup in 2018 and lost finals in 2019 and 2022, and are bulk suppliers to an Irish squad that won Grand Slams in 2018 and 2023.

And yet still, they've integrated a broadly similar number of players as a Munster side who are trophy-less for well over a decade.

So if Munster have improved significantly in this area (and they have)…

AND they have the lowest number of NIQ players of all the provinces (which they do)…

..why do you still think it is such a big deal for them to sign another NIQ player??

It’s really, really not

See this is the main fallacy that a lot of this has been built around, I honestly don't have a big issue with Munster signing more NIQ players.

I don't have a problem generally with any province signing NIQ players, when it's in situations of need or players of exceptional quality. I've spoken multiple times about how I would 100% see the logic in Munster signing a high quality (Malcolm Marx style) player at hooker for example, an area where Ireland are stacked, and Munster have a need.

I don't think there is a need though for multiple NIQs at half back. It seems the URC won't commence until post the group stages of the RWC, so it's not totally crazy to think a Year 3 Academy 9 and and a Year 2 Academy 9 could tide you over that period, especially as you'll still have Neil Cronin (unless he's leaving too). At 10 you'll likely have Joey Carbery and Tony Butler, with possibly another 10 coming into the Academy.

I honestly don't have a big issue with Munster signing more NIQ players.

For someone who has no big issue with it, you've made an awful lot of noise about it, and how Munster don't back their academy (which is patently false).

• Advertisement

I don't think I have been the one making noise about it. You felt the need to create a new thread because it appears as though anything remotely resembling criticism of Munster is unacceptable in the Munster thread.

Advertisement