Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Still trying to make sense of the game yesterday. Dont think i'll ever manage!

Gonna be hard to haul myself up the road to Thurles in 2 weeks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They certainly were. But I was on the terrace and had no know idea there was to be a minutes silence, or why. We couldn't hear the announcemnetes all afternoon - not sure was it the speakers were rubbish or was it the wind. At the beginning he gave an announcement - there was then applause for a while from around the stadium - I thought that was it. The 'singers' started when the applause finished and the ref blew the whistle for the minutes silence. The 'singers' hadn't a clue either I'm sure - it might have made a differnence had they known, or not.

I presume it was the wind because we could barely make out any sub announcements etc which was a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Was that rented PA behind the goals? Definitely didn't look like permanent fixtures in the stadium.

Also gardai had to chuck one or two of the singers out. Firing full water bottles down the terrace and hitting their own supporters. Also setting off fireworks directly in to the camera man above the scoreboard.

Probably a reflection of the lack of excitement on the pitch that they created their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

That was my understanding when he was announced. No idea if that is the reality on the ground though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I know there's often a clear announcement on who coaches with a clear title in many counties. But I wasn't aware Kelly was the coach and that was his title. It was my understanding Davy was one of the few managers still doing managing and coaching. I can't find anything like coach beside Kelly's name. Like, Kinnerk and Bevans are definitely the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Time for fundamental Change!

Having attended the last two championship games, I cant see anyway forward for Waterford. The most worrying aspect is the next generation are not near good enough and I fear in the next 3/4 years Waterford will fall further behind. Crazy money is being spent on teams who simply cannot compete at the level required, not to mention developing a stadium that we could n't fill anytime in the last 3 years. Our schools are a shambles, they are not competing at the top level (De La Salle being the exception- given their size and pick, they should be better than most of the schools in Munster but they are not).

A secondary school pupil will spend 48 months in school from 1-6th year, we should be investing in the schools with full times coaches, S&C, GYMs etc.. if we can get 4 schools competing at Harty Cup level then over the course of a few years we will develop enough quality to compete year in year out. This will cost alot of money but is an investment that Waterford have to make. Ireland will go close to winning the rugby World cup in the Autumn and the majority of the team will have come through 8 schools!! I'm aware the money being spent by these schools is phenomenal but we can do something different and have a similar production line. The GDA's should be employed full time in certain schools and run a hurling program on behalf of the county board who should support them with S&C coaches ETC.. we need to control player development. Just putting this out there because our development squads are operating with one hand tied behind their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

All well and good saying we need 4 Harty Cup teams and schools need investment but at end of the day these schools are only as good as the players being supplied to them from the clubs and primary schools, that’s where development starts

you do speak a lot of sense though there’s a lot of excuses being floated around here. Ur very few people prepared to accept the majority of the players are just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

We obviously didn’t deserve any luck yesterday but Jesus christ how unlucky were we that none of the 4-5 shots on goal didn’t go in? Every single time it either came off the edge of a Cork hurley, a Cork player or Collins making a good save (from Peter Hogan at the start of the second half). It’s not like the execution was poor, we just couldn’t buy a goal on any occasion and on another day could’ve had 3-4 goals. Who knows how things could have turned out if a few of them went in. That’s 0 goals scored against Tipp, KK, Limerick and now Cork this year, we won’t win much without rattling the net a few times.

Hard to know where to go from here, it seems to be a case of hoping to avoid a hiding in the last two games which is an absolutely dire assessment of where we are at currently.

That famous line from the young lad in Malcolm in the Middle sums up this year - “I expected nothing and I’m still disappointed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

I know we don’t have a hope of qualifying but what are the best scenarios we’re hoping for now when it comes to other games to even have a sniff of getting third. Obviously depending on us winning the last two aswel which is also impossible to imagine at this point in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

In this situation you want to win all your points while the teams that have already beaten you must also win all their points.

So let's say cork and limerick end up on 6 points each

With Clare losing to us, Tipp and cork and Tipp losing to us, Limerick and cork, then we'd go through in 3rd on 4 points.

All extremely unlikely.

Other outcomes with 3 ways and points differences are not in our favour to begin with given we have a -11 hole to climb out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

do many of you out there ever venture into into other county’s threads and make contributions….?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

A draw could complicate things further, and feel there is one coming.

You could have a scenario where Limerick and Cork drew, Limerick beat Tipp, then if Cork win one and lose one of the other two games themselves and Limerick would have 5pts and contest the Munster final if...

Waterford won both their games, and they'd pip whichever team beat Cork on head to head with the other finishing bottom. But definitely Clare winning Saturday makes even a miraculous turnaround in form for Waterford looking likely to be short of good enough to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Theoretically, Waterford can still qualify (stop laughing down at the back).

For starters, we would have to win our last 2 games. Enough said ?

Even then, you are depending on results elsewhere going your way. Bizarrely, Limerick might be in the bottom two as well.

It’s not about whether it’s mathematically possible to qualify, we know it’s still very much there. But based on the performances we’ve seen in both league and championship can anyone see us getting anything out of last 2 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

There's always hope. Cork lost their first two games last year and ambushed us at home. They qualified in third and went on to lose by a point to Galway who themselves lost by a point to Limerick.

There's always hope....just not much of it, but we'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not to mention relying on other results to work out favourably

Even getting a result against Clare your still looking to go and beat Tipp in their backyard on the final game to have any chance

I would say the Clare game defining for this group of players now. Do they have the stomach for it? If they they roll over and die like they did for Cork on Sunday it’s the end of the road for a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

It may be grasping at straws but ....

.... a win against Clare however likely could (depending on other results) lead to playing an already qualified (and possibly understrength) Tipperary.

If we ended up on 4 points as well as say Cork and/or Limerick, then the head to head means we're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

In agreement with others in that 2 wins look unlikely based on current form, but there is a good chance that 4 points would be sufficient for progression but it depends on Cork & Limerick finishing on 6 points each, i.e. beating Tipp & Clare.

If, as would have been expected before last weekend, Limerick were to defeat Tipp & Cork and then Cork defeated Tipp & Clare, this would leave Tipp on 2 points & Clare on 2 points with Limerick & Cork on 6. So 2 wins & results going our way, we progress.

The fear is that with the poor scoring difference after the weekend & more than 2 teams will end up on 4 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Scenario where we would qualify (I know it’s not happening)

limerick beat Tipp and cork ( finish on 6pts)

cork lose to limerick beat Tipp and Clare (finish on 6pts)

waterford beat Clare and Tipp (finish on 4pts)

Tipp lose to cork , limerick and Waterford. ( finish on 2pts)

clare lose to waterford and cork (finish on 2pts)

this scenario avoids scoring difference (ours is not great after last sunday.

if it were to work out like this it would be a winner take all between ourselves and tipp in the last game.

I know I’m grasping at straws but the more I think of Sunday am wondering/hoping was it just down to fatigue mentally and physically from the Limerick game. If you look at Clare last year they never recovered from the Munster final, we’re lucky to get over Wexford and then badly beaten by Kilkenny.

I suppose we will see in two weeks time, if we put in a performance like we did on Sunday then there is serious problems with this group of players.

the difference from last year was that after the clare debacle the year was over and everyone went back to the clubs whereas this year there is no hiding place with two hard games still to play. I hope to god the players use this as an opportunity to prove everyone wrong and put in two performances that we can all be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Coming to terms with Sunday's performance has been very difficult. Firstly, I don't buy into this being tired - this team had played one competitive game in six weeks up to Sunday so realistically how could they be tired. Secondly , when we finally decided to wake up and get some more of our best players on the field we were a match for Cork and could have had a couple of goals. I do not buy into Cork taking their foot off the pedal, as that is not Corks style and this team was out to set down a marker. Thirdly, we are lacking confidence and ambition - why? - apparently our capitulation last year was down to being over trained - so we should have been full of confidence and really hungry to put in a performance after the disappointment of last year.

I believe we have the players to compete when we put our best players on the pitch, we might be lacking a bit in depth, but we certainly have 16 - 18 who can match the best when their minds are at it - so it comes down to two things in my view

A) Poor Management and preparation, with over complicated tactics and an inability to adapt a game plan to nullify other teams tactics. - once again there was an acre of space in front of our half back line for almost the entire game. At least three times players came across to Davy looking for directions and querying what to do - that is surely the sign of a team lacking direction.

B) We appear to be lacking sufficient Leaders and Character - guys who will lead by example and demand higher standards from individuals and management. Steplhen Bennett tries, but generally does so by trying almost too hard and doing it on his own which can have a counter effect on others around him. I noticed Cork in the Camogie twice, had players go down with "injuries" allowing them break up momentum and provide players with the chance to get into a huddle and try and "re-set" their game plan - it didn't work in the end for them but at least they tried and it did disrupt Waterford.

Lets face it the chances of qualifying from this position are next to "Nil" but if this bunch of players want to have anyone left supporting them, now is the time to stand up and be counted - it is now or never - after what Clare did to them last year in Ennis, they should be bursting a "gut" to get retribution and with Liam Cahill on the opposite bench they surely have a point to prove to after his recent comments about doing the same thing this year and seeing how his current bunch of players react - if that is not asking a question to be answered nothing is. If they don't win, grand, but i expect them to put in two massive performances and at least die with dignity . if they are uncertain with Davy's tactic or methods they have two weeks to set things right and to deliver the time has come to put up or shut up - no more excuses no more whinging from management or players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pling

if there was ever a time for MiWadi and biscuits meeting its now

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

Waterford drawn against meath,down and tipperary in tailteann cup group stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

This is what you get when one team is managed by a good coach and motivator and the other team is managed by Davy Fitzgerald. Waterford were an organisational shambles. No puckout or sideline strategy. No ability to adjust to developing situations. A team that took to the field not mentally prepared for the battle that was needed to match, never mind subdue, Cork (with the notable exception of Jack Prendergast who put in a mighty shift here). 

I reckon the players have become demoralised by Davy’s team selections (leaving on the sideline better players than some who are being picked) and bizarre game plans. As Anthony Daly put it in the Examiner, “atrocious” Waterford “didn’t seem to know what they were at”, in what amounted to “a complete systems failure”.  This happened several times when Davy was last in charge of Waterford. Pat Flynn was Chairman of the County Board at the time so he can’t say he didn’t know.

Fair dues to the camogie team who, unlike the senior hurlers, were well-coached and organised, with a super attitude. With the camogie minors in the All-Ireland final next Sunday in Nowlan Park (4.30 pm), it is clear that camogie in the county is going in the opposite direction to hurling. The camogie county board would be mad if, as has been proposed, they come in under the county GAA board, perhaps the most inept organisational unit in world sport.

We have just two games to go to a complete whitewash in minor, under-20 and senior hurling. Waterford Rising my eye. What we need is an uprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hurlaway

No Davy fan but the players need to own this,too many times have waterford players been let off the hook and all the blame thrown on the manager,time for players to play for their county and their Jersey they really need to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,547 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

From my position a couple of rows back in the stand you could hear the Waterford maor caman shouting out to forwards instructions for every puck out. Prepare for plan 2, prepare for plan 7 and so on. Stuck me that they are overly focussed on planning and not the basic skills

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Saw and heard the exact same thing fairly funny when the puck out didn’t change once was the same over and over again

• Exactly. They can blame Davy, Liam Cahill and any other manager they've had since the round robin started. Reality is they haven't been good enough, end of. And just for the record, I'd nearly be as delighted as any Waterford person if they did something- it's well overdue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Figerty

He was at the same nonsense in Clare with Club teams, Fitzgibbon teams etc. Even had a goalie with an earpiece by some accounts. Opposition figures it out very quickly and knows the patterns and can easily adapt, and know the stupidity of trying to play the game from the sideline. There are players on the team smarter than the manager and they know better . Sad to say, Waterford made the great mistake of bringing him back..

Also, at this stage not having a stadium for 20,000 is a disgrace to Waterford. I heard a comment today that Waterford's population is small.. it's within a few hundred of Clare's. Clare has a serious hurling and football setup. .the problem in Waterford is in Waterford sad to say.

Ger rid of Davy,, but after the Clare match.. we need him to be there for motivation!

Advertisement