Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I agree with all that. Not a priority and not likely in the medium term because it relies on quad tracking which is itself as you say decades away. I just didn't get the attitude from one or two posters that suggested it would never, ever be useful to build such a spur.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

The Dart spur to airport instead of Metro is the train equivalent to the Limerick-Cork via M8 idea. It total misses the point of the original and better plan (Metro & M20), gets far too much traction and is a simplistic idea that appeals to the masses because they think they'll be getting a good service for less expenditure. Without quad tracking, the spur is pointless.

It also ties into something that we have been all to good at in this country, short sighted plans, cobbled together that cause headaches down the line (usually pretty soon after completion) because proper future expansion can't be achieved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would not see Clongriffin-Airport link as an alternative to Metrolink but an addition to it.

Also the Metrolink Estuary extension to Donabate is a no brainer - once CIE/IR have nothing to do with Metrolink - or I assume is the reason it is not part of the metro plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

As an addition it wouldn't be be bad, the more interconnectivty the better. But still needs quad tracking, no point in restricting further the movements on the current line. Plus if only a shuttle, don't think it will attract enough custom. It need to go to the city centre or beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Maybe a DART type shuttle that's still connected to the main Irish Rail network, so intercity services could avail of it (i.e. express train from Cork/Limerick-> Dublin Airport). Issue with that though is currently they would have to stop in Connolly and driver would have to switch ends, which makes the benefit of a direct train less desirable, may as well just switch to a Dart-type service then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The biggest mistake the NTA has made is in pursuing Metrolink as a standalone light rail project. If it was developed as a heavy rail DART and Intercity project, all of the problems described above can be made to disappear. All you need to to do is retain the Metrolink alignment as designed but extend to Donabate and build a four-track rather than a twin-track tunnel, so as to accommodate the Enterprise. Then at a later stage you can extend from Stephen's Green to Heuston (basically delivering DART Underground) and create a backbone commuter and intercity system with enormous capacity, probably good enough for a century. You could even the consider building the DART spur from Fonthill/Clondalkin to Tallaght (as originally proposed in the 1975 Dublin Rapid Rail Transit Survey). Something like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

This is nonsense. Metrolink works well because it is standalone and therefore it can deliver a very simple, extremely high frequency service without being compromised by having multiple different types of services going lots of different places. Your plan is essentially to replicate all the problems of the current heavy rail network in Dublin but on a much bigger scale. Metrolink is a new departure and with it being driverless, it will truly be future-proofed.

You won't have intercity trains running through such a tunnel because they are, and will be for a very long time, diesel trains. It's the same as ideas which are predicated on quadtrack the northern line, it's planning for something beyond the lifetimes of any of us while ignoring the realities of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Okay, so the intercity tunnel is a big stretch since it's basically doubling the scale of the project. I just added it to show how this approach is scaleable in a way that Metrolink is not. Many Irish Rail trains are being upgraded to electric hybrid, so it's certainly possible to run intercity services in this way without having to electrify the entire Belfast to Cork line.

Even just delivering a heavy rail Metrolink from Stephen's Green but with an extension to Donabate to link with the rest of the rail network would still deliver significant benefits with the advantage that this approach is more scaleable for future development. In particular, extending from Stephen's Green to Heuston delivers DART Underground more quickly and cheaply (since a shorter tunnel is required) than doing it as a standalone project. The rest of DART+ can be delivered as currently planned. AI will deliver driverless trains across the entire network within 10 years anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Metrolink railway order has been submitted. What you are suggesting is tearing all that up and going back to square one. You are basically adding 10 years to the project, portably 2045 until we had an “underground”.

I can think of half a dozen other reasons why this is a terrible idea, but the above is enough.

Let’s just get on with it and build the Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The metrolink discussion really doesn't seem suitable here, there's plenty enough threads dealing with potential for alternatives. And even dart-to-airport is scarcely relevant to any of the meaningful outcomes from Dart+.

The planners in the NTA already seem happy to add +15 minutes to journey times for everything north of Drogheda including services in their remit, but hey. Completely forseeable issues are treated with some simplistic modelling, and then left for "someone else" to fix.

• Advertisement

What you suggest is not scaleable, it is the exact opposite of scaleable. Mixing commuter services and intercity services brings limitations and undermines both. We need to separate them as much as possible going forward, not replicating the same issues. This is why Metrolink will work so well - it will have huge capacity and won't be limited by external factors. After Metrolink, everyone will be crying out for more high speed, high frequency, driverless metros, no matter what you do the Victorin aheavy rail network will never be able to compete when it comes to urban transit.

You can see this in practice with DART+, after spending €X00m on Coastal North. Journey times for north of Drogheda will increase and Howth becomes a shuttle so a deterioration for some but these are the trade-offs which have to be made. There are baked in limitations, why would you plan major investments to have the same limitations? It's the same with the DART airport spur, it would be a poor service itself and everything else would be compromised to accommodate it.

Electrification of the city centre network might happen by the end of the century, it is stupid to plan the network around that. Intercity trains need to terminate at a suitable location (i.e. Heuston), running them through the city in a new tunnel only eats up tunnel capacity for little benefit. If travelling from Cork to Dublin, having the choice of multiple stations to get off in central Dublin might be nice but not something the network can be designed around. A city terminus and changing to high frequency local trains/metro to continue journey is the norm in most cities.

And driverless heavy rail trains with many services running different stopping patterns on various merging lines is a long way off. Driverless intercity trains in Ireland is again end of the century at best, needs electrification first and there are lots of Level Crossings on our network. If you think there will be driverless trains across our network within 10 years then you are completely detached from reality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the airport/Clongriffin spur out of this discussion. It will not happen as part of Dart+ and probably never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not long back from London and I've used the DART the last couple of mornings to get to city centre, usually cycled to work before i was away. Currently sat outside Connolly somewhere for 7 minutes, same thing happened yesterday.

Zero announcements from the driver! What's that all about? You stop at a red for 45 seconds in London and they always have to say something. So you're just sat here not knowing wtf is going on.

Also will DART+ make these stops even worse?

How is this not sorted by now? It was the same when I was going to college over 20 years ago. So so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

waiting for a Maynooth line train probably - Dart+ is supposed to resolve some of the conflicts at Connolly. But more generally the Dart is noticeable slower than other metro type services I've used (including the Tube) and a lot of that seems to be down to long dwell times, low speed limits and inconsistent driving. Those are an Irish Rail cultural thing that Dart+ will do nothing to resolve. Dart+ besides is only concerned with capacity, and journey times will be even longer in a lot of cases.

Why do IR run nearly empty 8 coach Darts, nearly empty 6 coach Darts, and nearly empty 4 coach Darts through out the day in random order?

I have seen 4 coach Darts at 9 am, and empty 8 coach darts in late evening. Have they no idea when passengers travel so they match the capacity to the number of passengers expected?

I think they should standardise on 4 coach trains and only run 6 or 8 car trains when it is usual for there to be sufficient passengers, or when special events are expected to drive demand. If extreme demand is expected, like happened at the Bray Air Show, free attendance tickets should be required.

Apart from anything else, it would save a significant amount of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The problem is particularly pronounced along the loop line. Most electrified rail lines have fast acceleration and breaking times - something went wrong with the dart somewhere along the line because it crawls through the city centre. If I was going to Clontarf Road, it is actually faster for me to get off at Tara and catch a bus from Eden Quay than it is to stay on the Dart northbound two stops to that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes if it was a well run service imagine how fast you could get from stop to stop in the city centre and beyond. It fecks around and Pearse and coming into Tara all the time too and the drivers never seem to put their foot down. Very frustrating service I'm starting to remember why I always chose to cycle instead when going into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I always get off the Dart at Pearse even though Connolly is closer to my office, as it takes so long to get from Pearse to Connolly, and then walk out of Connolly from P6/7.

The section between Dun Laoghaire and Killiney is also really slow, close to walking pace sometimes. I get that it's a twisty section mostly in a cutting, but the Tube is even twistier and in tunnels but is still quicker, what gives? They seem to have been replacing the track along there for about 5 years but it hasn't led to any improvement in journey times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It kind of shows the problems we have with heavy rail in Ireland. We try to do too much on too few lines. Trying to mix DART, diesel commuters, intercity and even freight on the same lines is a recipe for disaster. It leads to a system that is overly complex, slow, unreliable.

It is why Luas is so popular with the public, even though it is just a tram and really nothing special. But it is frequent and relatively reliable because of it's simplicity. We are very lucky that Metrolink will be using European standard gauge too, it will be similarly high frequency, "fast" and reliable, but with much greater capacity and comfort then Luas.

Of course non of that is fundamental to heavy rail, look at the success of the Elizabeth line in London. But the reason for that success is only one type of train uses that line. Fast and frequent, a train every 5 minutes. Keep it simple, no other services allowed on that line to complicate things.

We need to keep this in mind when it comes to building DART Underground. It needs to be more like the Lizzie line, just DART's, fast, frequent and simple, no other train types left in the tunnels to complicate it.

Exactly, I've been saying this for ages. If DART Underground ever happens, intercity trains won't be going near it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A politician speaks, but you can ignore him and get a quick tour of the prototype trains.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The second DART+ Coastal North public consultation will be announced next week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be technical, it’s a mock-up, not a prototype!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dart+ Coastal North Consultation 2 to be launched today, apparently.

Howth Junction Station being made to look a little better.

EDIT: It's been launched, see here.

Post edited by CatInABox on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So has it been officially articulated anywhere as part of this consultation process what exactly the impact will be on frequencies and journey times of non-Dart services of the northern line? I know there's been various comments and discussion here about how an all-stopping dart service from Drogheda is going to result in slower journeys from Drogheda but I am surprised that no negative impacts have flagged for Dundalk or Enterprise services.

Not flagging negative impacts is hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 A1ACo

Just continuing in terms of potential, if any, for 3Kv DC / 1.5kv DC, multi-voltage EMU DARTs (X’Trapolis) for Irish Rail, there already exists for comparison etc. the;

-       X’Trapolis 100, and X’trapolis Modular (years 2005, 2015 & 2022), Broad gauge, 3kv DC EMUs, in Chile, &

-       Renfe Spanish, Civia, Broad gauge, 3kv DC, 120kph (can be modified to 160kph…).

Some of the benefits of 3 KV DC, over 1.5KV DC, include;

-       Potential to use only half as many Sub-stations,

-       Less heavy/ less materials overhead wires, and so somewhat lighter catenary.

Though again, 3Kv DC would seem to be technically contingent on if - clearances in existing, south Dublin, and Bray/ Greystones tunnels would be acceptable, or could be upgraded, noting…

–  25kv AC upgrade ruled out for that above reason,..

(and also including forecast excessive cost of conversion of 1.5kv DC DARTs - to 25kv AC)

(not sure if 1.5kv DC, to 3kv DC upgrade of existing DARTs would be as significant)

- The benefits of familiarity of 1.5kv DC, less vulnerability/disruption impact of lost substations, and smaller size of sub-stations for 1.5kv DC, vs. 25kv AC noted in a DART+ electrification report (available online).

Noting the electrified line to go as far as Drogheda (and sometime to Dundalk, and to Belfast), and near future Enterprise new trains to be ordered,..

…3kv DC could in the ‘short’-medium-term, more easily allow for up to 200kph, even 220kph (137mph) speed, and up to 250kph…

The 125mph/200kph speed band, has more usually been mentioned for the future Dublin-Cork line electrification.., but not sure about the Dublin-Belfast future line speed. 

Notwithstanding last year’s talk of ‘High-Speed’ lines.., talk later moderated to ‘Higher-Speed’. 

The next speed band –

-       220/230kph operating speed (to 250kph max. with 3Kv DC Italian established ETR460, and noting Spanish Class 130 & 730),.. could be a more up-to-date, and more ambitious target,.. on the part DART+ line to Belfast, without trying to get into ‘top level’ high-speed. 

The voltage of 3kv DC could for the north line, and two west DART+ sections could better get IE into higher speeds, before 25kv AC ever appears on the remainder, main routes longer term.

Plenty of modern stock around in 3kv, 1kv/3kv, and mixed with other voltages, are used around the world in DART+ and suburban and inter-urban etc. system/ routes from west, central and east Europe, and north Africa (Morocco), South Africa and South America(Chile)), and for some comparison to to the DART+ proposals and ordered stock:

These 3kv, 1.5kv/3kv DC etc. EMUs include Spanish ETR 490, Class 130 & 730 & Civia, Italian ETR 460, & 421-621, & ETR 324/425/526, Netherlands ICNG (3300 only), Russia/ Siemens ES2G, Czech Skoda 7EV, Polish Pesa Elf & Newag Impuls, Ukrainian/ Hyundai (like IE’s ICR) HRCS2, Morocco/Alstom RGV2N2, (and loco’s in those countries with/ incl. 3kv DC), etc..   

• Registered Users Posts: 45 A1ACo

Other European Infrastructure projects, adding third, and fourth rail lines, and some recent and ongoing European electrification projects, might have some reference comparison to DART+ projects;

- This August (3 weeks), a 66km stretch Brussels-Luxembourg line (175km, Axis 3 line) conversion 3kv DC, to 25kv AC, from stated unprecedented, temporary, dual-voltage catenary.

- A 22km stetch this year, Emilia Regio-Sassulo Radici in Italy, to new 3Kv DC.

- A 33km in 2021 (single line, mostly rural-ish) Mol – Hamont in Belgium, to 3kv DC, and 38km Mol-Hasselt continuing, and a third similar extension involved.

- A c.50km stretch started in 2022 between Ghent-Bruges, Belgium, adding a third and fourth track, either side of twin-track (existing parallel access roads either side of existing in parts).

- A circa 5km stretch etc., from 2023 between S-Hertogenbosch-Vught (Meteren-Boxtel line), The Netherlands, adding a fourth track (space mostly already made for it),

- Also in Netherlands, a freight route added track (third or fourth track), including 25kv AC, to German border (can’t find it again on Prorail’s website, including long pedestrian crossing bridge), with much longer, more complicated line on Germany’s side to be upgraded.

Interesting short reads below anyway, from Prorail’s website, regards their 1.5kv DC network electrification system, and also theory on upgrading 1.5kv DC, to 3000 volt DC (3kv DC).

https://www.prorail.nl/nieuws/spanning-op-de-lijn

https://www.prorail.nl/nieuws/tekort-aan-stroom-op-het-spoor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

If i was in charge of the "crayons", I would move the station slightly further north, and extend the "howth branch" under the northern line, toward Coolock and an eventual meeting with Metro North, Santry, Finglas and maybe the Maynooth line, basically make it an orbital line for the northside.

• Advertisement

I mean, if we're breaking out the crayons to this extent, then yeah, I'd agree, the Howth branch would be the logical conclusion to the old Metro West proposal

Advertisement