Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new PC - AMD Ryzen - Help Appreciated

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

First one is usually very fast and then 2nd start takes longer and they seem to all take similar times to 2nd start.

I have no idea if the restarting is bad for PC and making it worse.

The other thing I thought about was how I changed me boot drive to new SSD M.2. If BIOS reset worked it would look for C: hdd. Not sure if that is fine. Prob is.

Hsving a quick bite to eat and then will try anything you advise or I find online.

Thanks for help, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If the CMOS is reset, then you'll need to reset the boot order. Either way you'd get video output first as the machine goes through POST.

Could you please try the CMOD reset again, but leave the power cable unplugged from it when doing so.

I have left PC off for a while, I have 1 16GB RAM NEW only left in slot. I have tried CMOS reset with cables out.

The same thing keeps happening, 10-12 seconds it turns off the first time and then 18-20 seconds every single time afterwards. All timings the same every time.

It feels like a power thing. When I set RAM to 3200MHz in BIOS it needs too much power and not getting it. That is a wild clueless guess from me.

Im not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The change in power would be minimal, single digit levels of watts.

Where are you based?

Dublin 8

• Advertisement

Do you need this machine for work tomorrow or anything urgent?

Well I need it everyday to work on. But I work for myself so it’s not the absolute end of the world. Not ideal though.

I will keep trying to fix it myself by searching internet. Otherwise I will bring it somewhere tomorrow. And I’ll also consider buying a new machine. Keep this as a 2nd machine obv.

If you want I can take a look at it in person. It's probably a bit late tonight for it, but that would make it tomorrow evening.

Not late for me tonight. I’m a night bird. I’d pay you to fix it or even look at it. I’ll pay for your taxis. Send me a pm.

It's sorted, he's up and running now. I got the BIOS to reset and all 64GB is working, albeit not at 3200MHz, but 2666MHz instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

To get the BIOS to reset, I had to take the power cable out, short the pins, then hit the power button to cause it to discharge. After that it would POST, so XMP was left disabled. There was a small hitch where it started to hang on boot, but that seems to have been just a DIMM not seated correctly, and that was found and fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That was on my mind to tell him to do earlier re. press the power button without power to discharge the capacitors but for some reason I never said it.

Well at least you got it working for him.

Absolute legend and gentleman, can not thank you enough, honestly.

Thanks to everyone for advice and help, really happy with my upgraded PC and learned some cool stuff along the way, very much appreciated.

Advertisement