Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Enjoy the show you are at fully, is being on barrier for show 2 and 3 really going to be life altering for them.

like I understand it for a show on a tour as a special experience, but not every night of a run.

being 5 feet back from barrier is not going to alter a show that much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ha ha. I was going to drop in a belittling remark into the twitter thread. But just saw that I know that guy - Tom Mc. Don't know him too well - just more on a professional work level. But wouldn't have thought him to be in to that crap.

I don't know why, but I had in my head that these people were fairly young - like in their 20s and 30s - where maybe they have less responsibilities and can travel freely. But from a couple of the pictures of them, they are all in their 50s and 60s. Talk about having zero sense.

One thing I don't understand - what if theoretically, a group of say 15 die hard fans (not part of these looney tunes gang) decide to queue at the RDS at 7 o'clock on Friday morning. Then these guys arrive at around 12 with their numbers. Does security tell the other normal people to move aside, and let all these roll call people through. Surely, there must have been some fisticuffs over the years if that's the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's because these "true fans" enjoy the brag and status of being at their 450th Bruce gig and being in an imaginary club rather than the joy of enjoying an actual Bruce gig.

If you genuinely, genuinely loved an artist, you would not leave their show unless you categorically had to. You're already up the front. You're already at the show. You're already enjoying yourself (allegedly). But being able to be up the front is more important than the perks of being up the front. It is insane logic.

The shocking thing is that these people are largely functioning adults elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

And I thought the Pearl Jam fans were hardcore!

Aiken have asked that no one queues early, residential area and licence rule is in place.

So whoever queues outside RDS appropriate time before each show has more legitimacy than sandymount hotel people with number written on them.

at the last rds Bruce shows there was “issues” with the numbers people skipping the queue and demanding first access to the pit. From what I understand ultimately the security allowed them to skip the people queuing just to stop the hassle.

obviously this has legitimatised the whole numbers on hand situation to an extent but officially it is not approved and does not have involvement of the promoters so if you were in the queue and these people tried to skip ahead security should tell them to go back to the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

That's an excellent point. Not everyone is on Twitter or fan forums, and a bunch of people could very legitimately arrive early on Friday, blissfully unaware of this nonsense, and then wonder who these interlopers are, turning up, claiming to be ahead of them, on the basis that they have been queueing for days, when they've done nothing of the sort.

There's nothing "official" about what they're doing - it's not endorsed by the promoter, - but people have, for the most part, just come to accept it for Springsteen shows here over the last twenty years. I don't get it. Nobody would tolerate it for anything else, whether it was Record Store Day, the opening of the Lego Store, or (back when they still had Ticketmaster booths) queueing for high demand tickets. Could you imagine? "We're actually first. We've been running daily roll calls at a café ten minutes away for the last five days." They'd be told to f*** off.

If people want to camp out all week, roughing it, at the entrance to RDS Simmonscourt, in order to stake their claim to being first in, that's one thing, as that requires genuine effort. Knock yourself out. But this checking in every four to six hours, just because they have the freedom to do so, is nonsense. You see them every time Bruce plays, wandering around Dublin city centre, with their numbers written on their hand. "Oh, I'm in the queue." Jesus...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

The organisers of the roll call have done this before in conjunction with Aiken, most recently in Croke Park 2016. It makes life a lot easier for the promoters.

Some lad answering twitter questions wouldn't necessarily know the details.

It was never officially organised or approved by Aiken. They just never previously denounced it publicly and relented to the practice on the day at the gate to stop aggro over queue skipping.

very much a “let the diehards do their own thing” situation as long as it’s not you much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yep, they did it at croke park, and a few ended up camping out overnight the night before.

This is not that, this is a bunch of self entitled **** expecting to rock up and skip a queue that might be there hours because they wrote numbers on their hand and kept it a secret.

Sorry that's just not true. The promoters indifference to it shouldn't be construed as them working with the nutters.

Aiken simply require everything to be done in compliance with the license of the show. After that, they don't care.

Promoters couldn't give a monkeys about the queue and who is or isn't at the top of it. That's the job of the venue and/or its security in line with the license of the gig.

It's laughable that it's not only believed that there is a binding unwritten agreement but worse, only the higher-ups know about it and not the lads running twitter. Do you realise how demented that reads?

• Advertisement

exactly, though Aiken do want the queue to be run smoothly and no unnecessary aggro especially if it’s involves die hards trying to skip the queue cause a number they wrote on each others hands at a pre arranged Bruce seance ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Didn't Aiken already deny any involvement in the fiasco. The roll callers publicly announced that their base is Sandymount Hotel - it's there for all to see on twitter. And Aiken deny any involvement in any events in Sandymount Hotel. Unless I am missing something.

Aiken have no involvement with the roll callers/this nonsense. Aiken press conference yesterday stressed that no early queuing is allowed as residential area/licence condition.

they ‘may” have allowed them to skip the queue back at the Croke park or RDS shows previously as to placate the die hards who rolled up and tried to skip/caused a scene.

end of the day these are unofficial arrangements by die hards and if they try to skip past you in the queue to get into the pit you have every right to tell them to go to end of the queue and get security to move them back.

This is it. It's mob mentality where people see fifty losers with a misplaced sense of entitlement skipping the queue en-masse and think that "hey, this must be organised" purely because there are a group of them.

It isn't. If you see it, complain to security.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Apparently there is a second queue near the Shelbourne hotel LOL - cannot wait to see how this one plays out.

Make the two groups fight til death??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Aiken teams supported the queues at all the ESB shows for more than a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And yet here we are this time, with them saying it has absolutely nothing to do with them. So they're nothing. Nada. Zilch. Diddly squat. **** all. You get the jist. Just a group of punters like the rest of us.

The sense of entitlement these absolute dweebs have has always been breathtaking. Would be hilarious to see them brought down a peg or two. No doubt they'll get away with it as always though.

the queues at all the ESB shows

They did, this isn't that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I'm not saying it's right, in fact I think it's madness.

But whether people here like it or not, these people have spoken and continue to speak with the promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Except Aiken have explicitly said it's nothing to do with them this time.

Link to any confirmation outside of claims from TRUE FANS?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

My mam and her friend are going to the show next Tues, they are technophobes to say the least and have paper tickets (paid extra for the paper version mind you). It was booked on someone elses Ticketmaster account and when we went in to the "My Events" tab it says the tickets were emailed but we dont have an email - have the digital tickets been released yet?

The idea of getting her to sign in to a Ticketmaster account on a Smartphone will be a nightmare, do you think they'll accept the paper copies?

This should really have been publicised prior to selling the tickets, a lot of Bruce Springsteen fans are of the era where they might not have a Smartphone or be able to use digital tickets.

If you have paper copy tickets, there won't be digital tickets. It's one or the other. Either are as good as each other for entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

If they paid the extra €5 and got paper copies, they just bring the paper copies. I think everyone who bought a ticket received an email about e-tickets, even if you'd got the hard copy. This may have caused confusion.

All my tickets are paper tickets too. I like preserving them for the archive.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

There are three certainties about these pit queues.

They will happen.

Aiken has made provisions for them and will facilitate and supervise them, probably from Thursday morning onwards.

Aiken will never publically acknowledge their existence in any public statement.

Anything else is just noise. And no, I'm not in the queue. back of the pit will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Which is worse, the clowns queueing for days, or those complaining on here non stop for days about the clowns queuing, (or indeed me complaining about the clowns complaining about the clowns queuing....)

Let it go lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Go back to the Sandymount, you cant fool us.😀

• Advertisement

You missed the last 3 roll calls about complaining so you can't complain, please grab a number from an arbitrary spot I'll announce on my Facebook that you may or may not have access to before you complain again. This is a completely legitimate scenario that I ran by Bruce's wife's cousin's son's aunt who's husband's brother's mother in law once let Nils lofgrens hairdresser in front of her in the deli.

Advertisement