Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating scald in lambs

• 30-04-2023 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

How are ye controlling scald in lambs?

I'm running batches of 50/60 ewes so there are approx 100 lambs in a group.

I estimate there is about 10 lame in each batch but I dont know how to address it....if i gather them i wont have a hope of finding the lame ones to individually treat and foot bathing isn't really an option because i dont have any concrete for them to stand on after.

Do any of you footbath in the field in a mobile race and if so is it effective ? I always leave them stand on concrete after footbathing when at the yard but fragmented land means i dont have that option.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Yes we have used a mobile footbath in the field. Maybe not as effective as dry concrete. Short grass and dry day helps. We have used the box to stand small batches in for a little while. Use a sticker in the bath. Washing up liquid or presto etc.

Bad year for foot problems for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

What do you use in the bath of you don't mind me asking? Is there any product other than formalin that they can just run through as opposed to standing them in for 5 minutes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Zinc sulphate, can't use copper sulphate as it would rot the mobile race in no time. Don't like formalin.

Was thinking over op's post yesterday and if he has 1 in 10 showing signs, most likely more are affected as well, so I reckon he would be as well try to bath if possible.

Any body use the tubby feet mineral lick?

We seem to have extra issues this year and hooves seem soft for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

Don’t use Formalin here anymore either. The issue with the Zinc Sulphate is they have to be stood in it for 5 minutes.

Will have ewes and lambs in sometime in the next 2 weeks and I’d like to run them through something quickly as a preventative more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I use formaldehyde blend. Copper zinc formalin. Run them thru it a few times. Does the job. Doesn’t seem to rust the galvanise. Do give it quick rinse tho

https://www.thedandys.ie/product/formaldehyde-blend-25-litre

• Advertisement
Advertisement