Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Minors made heavy work of it alright by driving alot of silly wides and like our seniors yesterday some of the clearances from defense just going straight to the opposing players. It must be said this crop won absolutely nothing on the way up infact got some heavy beatings so to get to a leinster final and guaranteed two more matches is actually decent. We all know we are years behind some other counties at academy level but at least they have recognized this and a review and things but this will take time before we see any fruition from this . I think galway were missing 3 or 4 players the day they hammered the minors and they done a job on dublin today. This is one of galways best minor team in a long long time so it's a huge uphill battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭conor05

Galway have a very strong minor team this year, they absolutely trounced Dublin today and will be red hot favourites for the final.

But as mentioned above great to get to the final and another chance to take on Galway.

Supposedly 8 of that Wexford team are minor again next year, I thought their forwards were very weak physically today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Galway are nearly always brilliant at minor. They won four titles from 2017 to 2020 but failed to follow that up at under 20 level, winning no tities. The trick for them now is to develop this current brilliant minor team to win at under 20. They're finding it difficult to replicate their minor successes at under 20. For whatever reason it appears that their young players are not progressing. Whether that's down to the Galway setup or down to the other counties setups, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think it is a good cohort but not sure if its 8, heard it was something like 5 of the starting 15 myself, no coincidence all 4 of Wexford subs were in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭kk.man

The Limerick defeat now dents their comparison to the almost 5 in a row Kilkenny team. Kilkenny almost achieved 4 straight All Irelands without a losing a game..... just came into my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I thought the minor half back line looked good yesterday, Aherne had a great second half got back to stop a certain goal near the end too. As was previously said good to get to a final and get another shot at Galway, hopefully they'll up there performance from the last game. I thought Ed McDermott and Greg Kelly looked good in the forwards, is Greg Kelly a brother of Mark Kelly who used to play with the seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Neewollah

Not a brother anyway and almost certain no relation at all

Young Ahearne was outstanding for the minors, keeping it simple and very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Personally I think with the Galway academies all is well until they reach minor level after that all the camaraderie is lost the unity is gone and they all go back to being individuals. Really this seems to be the only plausible explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Marrooned

The minors should throw caution to the wind the next day tear into them from the start ,show them no respect and see where it takes us threw in the towel from the start a few times under Mulrooney in the pre match interview he said it’s all about development, not a good way to be going into a final. When they started to hurl in the second half they could have bet them. John Walsh destroyed an unbeatable Galway team.

just saying give it a right good go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Wow some fall from grace to be delighted to reach a leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Well going by the results in the minor championship they have actually been the best Leinster minor team in the Leinster Championship and have improved on their results on the way up through earlier age groups, so if we are going to rip into 17 year old or younger kids for being beaten by Laois last year at least some credit is due to a team who have actually played some decent hurling this year, middle aged lads like me remember that the minor team that was beaten for the first time in 10 years in Leinster in the late 90s went on to be one of the most successful underage teams in terms of senior all irelands won ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Why is the Antrim v Kilkenny put back to 1pm next Sunday.

For what it matters, I have been at them all, including their many challenge matches. That's partly why I totally agree with the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would assume KK are travelling up Saturday evening for this game and staying overnight. They have a long journey home after the result I'm assuming if they play early their home early.

Hearing of some movement on the letter situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

Niall Bergin had some tasty comments to say about our Development Squad system in his after match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Listen to Niall Bergin (Post V Wexford) 01.05.2023 by Community Radio Kilkenny City on #SoundCloud

I presume it's that but I don't think he's saying anything too interesting there. He's basically just saying these lads were getting well beat before so there should be no expectations

Nothing new there. It's being that way for yrs. No real plan for development squads different lads over groups each Yr no joined up thinking from one age group to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I wonder when the announcement for the Performance Manager position they advertised and interviewed for will be made! It was last Oct/Nov they interviewed from memory. You'd wonder what the hold up is and why there has been no announcement. This is a pretty crucial roll for County board to fill and resource properly and professionally.

What is Patrick OFlynns role

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Neewollah

Were Michael Comerford and Michael Fennelly not offered the role in a joint capacity. Thats the last I heard of it and I assume it just happened.

Probably all hear'say

Advertisement