Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is the biggest obstacle to having "decent public transport"?

What are your thoughts on the updates to public transport implemented so far and what are they not "decent"?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Put the transport system in place 1st then implement this.

Doing this 1st is totally lazy, all it does is pisses people off when there's no alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That’s a “let them eat cake” response. Parking as a perk isn’t available to you if you’re in a low income, or if you have high family expenses, and you just can’t afford a car. And somehow, those low paid staff will manage to commute to their industrial estate locations without being expired by rain or destroyed by bus timetables.

BTW and tax saver schemes aren’t funded by employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Public transport is in place for many. If they won't use it that's their choice.

It will never reach everyone or suit everyone. That's an unrealistic expectation.

The greens are a disaster of a party no argument. But public transport issues existed long before the greens were in govt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The main picture in this article says it all about the residents in Sandymount and how they want to get around the area (hint: it's not in the big yellow thing with all the commoners)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/sandymount-residents-seek-change-to-busconnects-route-1.4741141

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Maybe in Dublin its an acceptable standard, but you can't get a bus on time in Cork. The Green party are a joke, Ryan's only answer is tax and levies when there is no alternative to encourage less carbon activity. There is a record breaking exchequer surpluses, use them to solve our public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

So cars are not a large carbon footprint? they need a space to park them in at home, a space at work, a space when you go out socially. The car doesnt just fold up-it takes lots of space, the production of cars, especially as they have gotten bigger, creates lots of waste.

Are you suggesting that people now add a gym to their house, when accommodation is in short supply, and especially in urban areas where houses etc are tight already? Or is it a good idea to drive to work, then get in your car and drive to a gym, to ride a stationary bike, so you can get the physical and mental benefits of cycling to work etc.?

So now, not only are you adding to traffic congestion by driving to work, but then adding to it again by going to and from the gym-that makes no sense. I live in a town, there are 2 of my neighbours that live 1.5km from their workplace, one leaves at 8.30 to get there at 9-it's a 5 minute cycle, in the school she works, there is also limited parking. The other guy leaves 20 minutes before work.

They add to traffic and its an inefficient way to travel-this car-centric mindset is unhealthy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, why do you think bus times in Cork are the responsibility of the Green Party and not Cork Councils or TII?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The 2nd biggest obstacle is the lack of resident company(companies) that own and know how to operate Tunnel Boring Machines (Such as those manufactured by the likes of Herrenknecht)

The machines are not even that expensive (in 2011 I think they were around £10,000,000 a shot)

Metro was supposed to be finished this year... and hasn't even started construction yet.

I think "Knowing what to do" biggest obstacle... no one in government has any idea what to do. And they don't want to ask either as the consultancy fees are insane and don't provide much insight either plus those fee's inevitably make it onto the news

Someone thought the solution was busses many, many years back, then it was bus lanes, then it was to reopen the tram lines that were closed cause we were doing busses, then it was cycling, now its e-scooters. All those solutions are light touch (Green line was already there, just not used and cycle/bus lanes are just paint on the road.)

I think there is a fear element from the government on this too, As soon a big project like this starts a load of companies/people show up going "What am I getting out of this".... basically kleptocracy

Not sure how e-Scooters were ever a "solution" considering they've never been legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Touché! :)

That being said their legality is rarely (if ever) enforced. No doubt the higher ups think "this might sort things"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ok look, a lot of tinkering around the edge solutions being discussed here.

Like many other modern cities, you will not change a car-centric mindset without convenient, cheap, safe, frequent, clean and reliable public transport. In other words, until you hear the familiar refrain 'theres really no point in owning a car in Manhattan/London/Berlin/Paris/Tokyo/Singapore etc'

Big public transport is the only game in town. Light, metro and heavy rail based trunks and buses linking up the network.

Not bikes, not scooters, not LTNs, not random parking removal, not pedestrian plazas, not cutting off vehicle access from places that people want to be.

The Exchequer in this County has more money than God, but we aren't nearly ambitious enough for the good of our Cities.

There is, as we speak, no rail being built in Dublin. None. How can the Govt Depts and their agencies justify not having a continuous supply of projects ready to go, ready to provide big contracts to global level builders who knock this stuff out for fun?

Someone complained about their being no indigenous tunnel builders with the kit to get stuck in. Why would there be, theres no steady supply of work for them?

If we had a proper planning and contracting authority for public transport - and by that I mean not ones that fanny about at the edges like the NTA and TII, we'd have two or three contracts underway at all times, two or three more in procurement and two or three more in design and consultation.

Why are the Luas lines to Finglas and Lucan not already under construction? Why isn't the Metro? Why isn't the Metro being actively extended to the south-west from Charlemont? Why is Metro West not revived? Why is the DART interconnector tunnel not revived? That could be built in a single mega project with the Metro, using strategic tunnel boring locations and having all the big makers on site with a decade of guaranteed work.

And not just Dublin. There should be light rail going in all over Cork and Limerick and Galway.

Basically people are complaining about traffic, and the associated problems. While not realizing they themselves are the traffic problem they are trying to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Waste is a fact of life. Manufacturing creates waste, the provision of food does, everything practically.

Add a gym ? If they want, not a crime…but not a requirement….just buy some exercise equipment… go up to Decathelon, McSport… lots of home gym / fitness equipment….

the treadmill I have folds, the weights, suspension trainer, resistance bands, gym mats are in a drawer when not being used…

bosu ball is in the washroom hanging on the wall mount until it’s to be used….the only thing that is not easily conveyable or retractable is the bike but that’s not in my way.. I don’t consider that a home gym, I do consider it everything I require to continue attaining my fitness goals…

yes I go to the gym. Where I can use 15% more equipment I’d never be able to kit out at home, space restrictions and I don’t fancy the extra expense ....I go there in a private automobile as living in a democracy enables me to do so. :)

also :

congestion -“ an excess of vehicles on a portion of roadway at a particular time resulting in speeds that are slower”

simply no congestion on the route I take, ever, I go as in today and return as in today at off peak times :)…. The first set of traffic lights I’m car #4 of 5… only one other set of lights and I don’t recall but certainly no congestion… my journeys were efficient, comfortable, safe and enjoyable.

Parking ? Free gratis to members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Residents don’t want them, makes it difficult having visitors and all the rest, DCC would jump at the chance to get more cash!

Public transport here is a joke it’s ridiculous, I used to work in the city centre, I’d travel up from north Wexford to greystones, took me about 45 minutes, I’d park the car and get the train in, it takes 1 hour 11 minutes to get from greystones to Connolly 22km absolute nonsense, the equivalent journey in London on the train is from Harlow it takes 30 mins. To drive from greystones to Connolly takes 34 mins. But what’s that you say early in the morning the traffic is hell so you couldn’t do it in that time frame, fair enough, but if you have to work late for whatever reason, and you leave at 7 instead of 5.30 it’s still going to take you an hour and 11 minutes to get to greystones on the train if you drove it’s going to take you 34 mins.

Do you think that's a fair comparison.

Harlow has a population 5 times that of Greystones and it's on the Stansted Airport Express line direct to London with only a handful of stops. One being Harlow. It also has high speed trains.

It’s fair if you’re talking about public transport and time to destination, and the reasons why public transport is a viable alternative in other jurisdictions and why it isn’t in Ireland, while Harlow may have a population thats 5 times that of Greystones, you’re failing to take into account the hinterland around Greystones who drive to Greystones and get the train or dart from there into the city, trains from Greystones at that time are packed.

Harlow has high speed trains? Fair enough so why doesn’t Greystones? Do you not see the point here make public transport viable and people will use it, that simple.

the point still stands that if travelling outside of peak commuting times on the train that 1 hour 11 minutes is an unacceptable timeframe to travel 22km, its unacceptable at peak commuting times too, public transport isn’t fit for purpose.

Oh while we’re on it Tamworth to Birmingham 21mins train

rochdale to Manchester 40min

Warrington to Liverpool 38 min

livingston to Edinburgh 26 min

so there you go

• Advertisement

Why does Harlow have a high speed rail and Greystones doesn't. Perhaps because its on a link between London and Airport serving 25 million passengers.

Rochdale to Manchester by train is 16km. I can do 15k in 20 mins in Dublin. Also Rochdale has a pop of 225k and Manchester 500k. Greystones is 20k. If you want to include the hinterland of Greystone, also include the hinterland of Rochdale and Manchester. It will dwarf Greystones.

It's a ludicrous comparison. The rest isn't worth checking out.

You've decided to live in the middle of nowhere and want a train service thats on a par with Major UK cities.

No offense but Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I have a 71km commute to the office, thankfully since the pandemic I am probably 98% working from home, I would guess I have been in the office a maximum of 5 times in the last 12 months. Around 12 months before the pandemic, I finally got a parking space, we had around 10 spaces for 70ish employees.

If Public transport was a viable option, I would gladly take it. With traffic, my drive to work is usually 90mins each way, less when schools are off. With public transport, its just over 2 hours.

Only 9% of people commute more than 30k and only 6% more than 60 mins.

It not that public transport that isn't viable. It's your commute.

Though a journey done 5 times in 12 months isn't a commute either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Reminds me of when I used to do Dublin to Shannon every month or so. Trains to/from Limerick were OK but the final leg to/from Shannon Town was a serious PITA.

Ok so I gave you examples of similar distances with much shorter times in another country, and your response is to declare that I live in the middle of nowhere, I’m in the commuter belt 48 minutes to Dundrum that’s quicker than coming from drumcondra, got what it’s worth I like a lot of people work remote now so don’t bother your little head…unless of course you mean Greystones is in the middle of nowhere if so that’s slightly concerning!

You gave ridiculous examples and comparisons.

Wexford to Connolly is your journey. You might have normalised it, but it's not a normal commute. Statistically its on the extreme end, nationally.

I said north Wexford, weirdly Wexford is a big county, north Wexford isn’t the same as hook head, also I said from greystones that was the part of the commute I mentioned, commute from here todundrum is a doddle, if you have to go the city centre and d3vide on public transport from greystones then it’s an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Saw a woman break her wrist on the train a couple of months ago. Train stopped at a station, some people got on. She stepped back and fell over a scooter and landed on her wrist. I suspect there is a claim coming. Not the first time i saw someone fall over a bike or a scooter on a train either. Theres even one guy who sits down with his scooter beside him and if someone wants to use the inside seat they have to climb over both him and the scooter, not to mention people tyring to stand in the aisle tripping on the scooter. Every day its the same. Scooters and bikes on trains now getting to dangerous levels as the crowds have increased on the trains.

A few more injuries and a few claims and they will be banned again.

Even from just Greystones it's statistically (in terms of time and distance) an outlier in commutes.

Expecting a frequency and speed of service in Greystones similar to one in London the largest cities in the world. It's ridiculous.

There's a vast difference in demand and population between the routes you compared. Enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

There comes a time in all these threads when there's a definitive comment that wraps it up sensibly.

Yes, that big money now in the State's coffers should transfer into big thinking. What an opportunity.

Advertisement