Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Longest I was in was around 20 min,one of the beach side saunas so wasn't overly hot

Its a big chunk of steel so would have noticed it on the wrist if it had reached a temp that would be of concern,its definitely gotten hotter to the touch having been left lying out in the (non Irish) sun.

Will keep the advice in mind👍,but will most likely ignore it to see if it's capable of a bit of hardship 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭H_Lime

That sauna had to be plus 50c at a min, watch for fogging/condensation staining on the inside of the crystal. Personally I tend to do this with my old g shocks but I thoroughly applaud your reckless trajectory:) sometimes we gotta push it into the red!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

My (current) two most expensive hobbies...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Another watch, another holiday. Just back from 12 days in Thailand and didn’t want to take anything of value, so decided to get some use from the MoonSwatch. Have to admit I enjoy it for what it is, bit of fun, but won’t be selling the collection and making it a daily!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Picked this up in the past half hour from 893bet. As always a lovely and pleasant man to do business with.

He was certainly right when he said he'd bought my next watch 🤣

I have this little beauty on my wrist already and I'm quite enamoured with it.

Here's hoping it lasts 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Man after my own heart there is that a B7? I gave up on the watches, just wearing my gardening watch this week.

A lot of watch for the money Banie.

You're right there Fitz, it has a very definite elegance to it. Whilst still being very legible and with that bit of a watch snob factor that's far, far above my pay grade 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

Thank you for the compliment.

Its model SEIKO 7T94-0BR0 SCEB001. Quartz, relatively cheap and in such vey low maintenance.

I bought two at the time from Seiya Kobayashi one of which i've never worn, as per pic.

Battery is dead but plan to get around to using it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Don’t worry. I am on the look out for something else nice. The exist plan is always part of the buying strategy!

That one you got is “a lot of watch for the money”. When you compare what 3k gets else where.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Tis a B7 all right, good eye.

Nice looking motor you have there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wow, that looked very like the old 6139 auto.

Very nice.

Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dark side today, I've had a side of the moon on and off for what must be 4 or 5 years now, great watches, but this og is the best.

Another lump of ceramic coming in a few weeks...

Post edited by Cyrus on

How tf do you get photos to upload with the right orientation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You need to just crop or edit them slightly and then they will be the right way round

Original picture.

Cropped one.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Today, I shall be mostly wearing my IWC Mark XV on a nato.

Yep I have a crap watch and a nice car....🤣 I love the B7, the sound is great and still looks the part. Fond memories of watching clarkson racing the mountain climbers in one. Always a car that held its value very well.

@Fitz II if its not been answered already,why the step back from the watches?

• Advertisement

Just got bored of the chase Covey123, Always looking for the next better watch and failing to be happy with the ones you have. I keep a couple nice watches nowe and just wear them, could go a month with the same watch on...and honestly it feels good just to resign to that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Think you've landed in a nice spot tbh. Few nice watches and a nice motor both getting some nice use.

That Blancpain Chrono is seriously nice, not going to lie I did start looking at them on chrono24 after admiring the photo 😀

Agree on Fitz and his soft and happy landing 😁

893 knew what he was doing when he bought it and the more I look at the dial and play around with it? The more I like it. I'm away on a wee trip to Sligo today. Taking advantage of a medical appointment to have a night away with the better half 😉 I will at some stage later with 3/4 pints in me, try to take some macros of the dial. It's not machined but there is so much detail in it.

The dial has a lovely finish almost enamal(don't know if it is) The chrono hands are lumed, as is the central seconds and it's just so legible. I can't believe that on paper it's same size as Daytona. Which in the Panda variant in particular I always find hard to read quickly.

That's as good a reason as any and TBF, you've been through all the stages and flipped some really amazing pieces.

I think I get what you're saying.

While your watches/collections are in a completely different league ( I have more of an appreciation for watch design/asthetics/function rather than ever been a collector),I found that the more I started looking at watches in detail,the more I wanted watch "x", then "y" then "z" because of better design/value etc.., always something better out there.

I've mentioned that I am happy with and enjoying wearing my Scurfa recently,punches above its weight for the price point.

But, I tried on a King Samurai PADI in Faro Airport ( stunning watch by the way,great deal there too at just north of €600) only a few weeks ago,and found I was a little disappointed with my own watch when I put it back on,even having been content with it up to that moment.

Yes,I do plan on picking up a new GSHOCK to replace my old one,but plan is to have an every day tool watch, GSHOCK for heavier work, Garmin for GPS function and basic dressier watch as I do not have as much reason to wear one of those.

So, for now at least,rather than chase/lust after a superior similar watch ,I've committed myself to enjoying wearing it and getting use out of it,sort of build an attachment to it and enjoy it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Thanks Wibbs 😁 It does indeed still have it's coil protection cover

Movement seems to be nice and clean all things considered

Here's another watch that came in the lot that needs a bit of attention

Getting into this watchmaking business, I'm starting to feel a bit like this 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice one. The vast majority I've seen lack that after all these years. The movement looks clean as a whistle alright. Note the black dot near the centre, they're a little hologram of all things, something very "out there" in the early 70's. I suppose as an extra to prevent fakes, but good luck in faking a movement like that back then. It would cost a fortune. Even today it would be a lot more expensive than copying a mechanical.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

found I was a little disappointed with my own watch when I put it back on,even having been content with it up to that moment.

This is the bit that makes us want to search for the next watch which are usually in some minute way better or at least different than what we already have.For someone like @Fitz II who has had a gold Patek and an AP Royal Oak , where do you go next after those?The vast majority of watches are inferior and at that price point if you keep going higher the watch value gets silly really.For those of us who don’t spend our days on a yacht that level of watch really is end game as there’s nothing better to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I've had that exact same feeling with cars a couple of times. The most noticeable was when I once had the loan of a Honda NSX for 24 hours, a fantastic and special driver's car. I sat back into the Alfa I had at the time, and up to that point really liked, and it felt cheap, synthetic with overly assisted controls.

With watches though, I'm currently very happy with my lot. I recently advertised the Seamaster 300m as I fancied a change, but when a couple of people seemed genuinely interested, I realized how much I like it and took the ad down...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

I know it's a homage, but its Swiss, reliable, tough, and looks fantastic. ( I LOVE the back) At 42mm, it's comfortable. Bi-directional bezel. Bought this about 4 years ago, and it's never let me down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's very nice.

I love that Brand, proper heritage from the aerospace industry.

I love the Aviator chrono.

Advertisement