Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

I really really need to get the finger out and ring Vodafone about giving me a better offer. Currently out of contract and paying a whopping €75 a month but just too lazy to ring up...

Unrelated but i wonder when they'll launch 2Gb to more places

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Do you have any hardware capable of utilising a 2 gig connection?

Nope! But it'd be nice to get the 200Mb upload back

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭[Steve]

Good experience so far with SIRO installation. Signed up via Sky on 06/09. Actavo survey 16/09, found the duct was blocked. Quattra Civils sorted it 22/09 and did a pro job on concrete work and new duct. Next day call from Actavo to get the install date for 30/09. All work free of charge. Fairly impressed considering work needed doing.

Never been so happy to see the back of VM and their awful router, pricing, and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tmcdlk

Hi, I'm still having issues ordering siro through Vodafone and other providers. It's coming up on their systems as no spare ports and therefore they are unable to push the order through to actavo.

SIRO engineers installed the fibre cable and told me there was spare ports in the manhole. They said that there must be a glitch in the system as there is only the two neighbouring houses served.

I have email SIRO about this but haven't received a response or than they are looking in to it. It frustrating have the cable installed to the house but not being able to get the final connection completed.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Folk were asking a couple of pages back about flexibility of Siro installs, they were great for me (through Digiweb), the finer comes into the electric meter box on one side of the house but I wanted the router on the other side. They were happy to tac the cable neatly round the front of the house to the side I wanted it. I guess the cable is 10m or so from the electric box, round the front to where it goes into the other side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Has anyone faced an issue where Actavo could not complete the install because the node outside the house was placed too close to a live wire and it needs to be moved before the Actavo installer is legally allowed to carry out the work?

It's frustrating because I'd guess the box is around 200mm away from the live wire and the regulations state it has to be 300mm away, so I'm basically 10cm short of being able to get decent broadband right now.

This issue has been ongoing for 6 weeks. I've been waiting for someone to come out and do the work, but to date it hasn't happened. I don't even know if it's the ESB's responsibility or someone on behalf of SIRO, but nobody seems to know what the story is whenever I ask each company involved. Is there a phone # for SIRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'd imagine that this would have to be moved by ESB Networks. info@siro.ie might help, they did get back to me about a query I had a while back.

Okay an update to this. A month later i finally got the finger out... The best offer Vodafone would do was €50 for 1GB, this is €45 plus a fiver increase from next month.

Went with Sky instead, €40 for 1Gb, 12 month contract. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

€35 a month for gigabit here with Vodafone, renewed a few weeks ago. Its bizarre how they are so random with their prices...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Just on this for anyone who is curious and also to note at least with Blacknight they use OpenEir, not Siro, However its a Huawei ONT with 2.5G copper. I have one now terminated into my UDM-P and delgihted with the setup.

4 years and counting and still no ftth for me. Whiteknight are digging up the footpath outside my house for the third time, the Eir box needs to be reinstated again.

Is that including the €5 increase from next month, do you know?

Poor guy on the phone said €5 discount was max he could do, went to the manager... €15 was max he could do. I said look Sky is €40, either match that or just give me the UAN. Then he came back saying €50 was the very best. They really make ye go around in circles!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I knew my bill was nearly up, so I messaged them on twitter to see what the best they could do was. First offer was €50, which I turned down. Second offer was a continuation of the €35 I've been on, and that's what I'm paying for next 12 months...

So TLI have been back out over the last three days to install fibre again. Which has me thinking for when the service does eventually go live.

At the moment, Virgin have a fibre to coax terminator in an access panel on the side of the house, this then feeds into the utility room via a coax cable. I'd like, if possible, for the SIRO contractor installer to run the fibre into the utility room using that coax cable as a pull through. Does anyone know if they'd be willing to do that? I'd be at a bit of a loss as to how else they could do the install cleanly because everything goes back to the utility room and that's where the router is. I don't really care about losing the coax cable in the process, there's two others in the panel anyway.

Post edited by Glaceon on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The engineer installing my fibre had no issue using the old phone cable as a pull through. He was even happy to cut the phone cable when I said it was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Entering the 13th week now with no sign of the mythical "build team" coming out to fix this for me. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility unfortunately. Emailed SIRO last week and this is all they said.

As SIRO is a wholesale provider all issues in respect of your service/order need to be dealt with through your retailer. We understand that this issue is important to you and have forwarded your query to an escalation manager in your retailer.

Problem is, Vodafone are of no help either and just say they are at the mercy of SIRO and it is them who need to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 synorout

Hi folks,

I recently got Vodafone SIRO installed. Just wondering can I use my Synology RT6600ax router without needing to use Vodafone's Gigabox or another modem? At the moment I have the RT6600ax plugged directly into my SIRO point and used my Vodafone login details.

All seems to work fine on every device in the house except my Sky Q boxes. Sky Q box Network page is saying there's a connection, but nothing loads and the homescreen says there's no internet. If I switch back to my VF Gigabox, Sky Q box works as expected.

This one just has me confused and I'm wondering if I'm missing something in the router set-up? But as I said, the RT6600ax works with every other device from phones, IoT devices, laptops, to PS5 - just not the Sky Q box!

Is it wired or wireless? SkyQ networking is as flaky as fcuk, I have my main box and mini box connected by cable through a gigabit switch and can still get connection errors especially the mini box not seeing the Q box, it's a pretty **** system tbh. I'm using VM BB with the VM router, I tried using my Asus router but like yourself it was terrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Do a factory reset on all boxes and set it up via ethernet sometimes it defaults to its own Wi-Fi network even though you have the boxes cabelled.

• Advertisement

Just did that a few days ago and all has been good so far (I actually turned off the WiFi on the router which made both boxes go to the cables) it's a pity there's no option to forget this network, at one stage the Q box was on the WiFi and the mini was on the cable😔

• Registered Users Posts: 2 synorout

Thanks both. After factory reset and switch to ethernet cables all is working fine. Had it sorted in time for Christmas at least but only getting around to replying here now!

I agree, very frustrating that there's no option to forget a network, because prior to the reset, despite setting up the wired connection, 10 minutes later it would start attempting to connect to the WiFi again.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

This may be a coincidence but last week there was a few ESB technicians out fixing a street light bulb but today a bunch of SIRO technicians were digging in the exact same spot. I ask them what they are doing and they told me they were doing a survey to see if fibre could be pulled through the ESB ducting. They dug a hole, found a black pipe (not the red ESB ducting I had seen before) and cut it open to check if it contained the power cable before filling it all back in.

I had presumed the 60s estate I live in would be last in the line to get any sort of fibre as both the electrical cables and phone cable run underground so it would be too expensive to upgrade added to the fact with Virgin already in the area it wouldn't make financial sense.

So I was wondering what is likely to happen next?

I tried searching for keywords but it seems the search won't show me the 57 results https://www.boards.ie/search?domain=discussions&query=survey&sort=-dateInserted&scope=site&name=SIRO%20-%20ESB%2FVodafone%20Fibre%20To%20The%20Home&source=community&discussionID=2057131437

So I got confirmation last week that SIRO are now available here. 😊 Had a Vodafone sales rep come to the door and got an e-mail from SIRO a few days ago about it. I'm still in contract with Virgin for another 6 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

Hi getting fiber installed this week. Did anyone have any issues installing in timber frame house and do you have any images of the set up inside and out?

An update here.

Vodafone were knocking around a few months back offering SIRO. So I decided to sign up with Digiweb recently. Actavo have been and gone this morning but they wouldn't pull through anything. They wanted to put it under the stairs but that would have been no use to me as it would have been completely isolated there. The best they could do was to mount the ONT on the wall in the kitchen near my two RJ45 wall sockets, I'll then need to feed the ONT into one of those and to the utility room that way. In fairness the kitchen sockets probably aren't going to get much use anyway.

Where did you want it placed? Did they say why they wouldn't put it where you wanted?

I was hoping they could put it in the utility room because that's where all of my cables terminate. He didn't really give an explanation, just said he couldn't and stuff like "what way did they design this?" in relation to the builders.

What I didn't mention the last time was that the installation didn't work. I'm just getting a flashing PON light. He said that there's no service outside so he had to escalate it. No news yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Anyone else on Siro in Wicklow? I'm currently experiencing my 5th major outage in just over 4 months (where I'm counting major as dead for hours). Are Digiweb BS'ing me blaming Siro or is the infrastructure really that prone to problems? Is Eir FTTH any more reliable? Didn't have a single outage with Virgin but you pay a good bit more...

• Advertisement

Did you get sorted after? How long did it take?

Advertisement