Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Can I ask about cable specifications for a ground-mounted system. I am getting a lot of conflicting information from installers. I am trying to figure out what cables I need to run from the panels to the inverter. It is about 40m on two strings. Depends on who I talk to, I’m told one single 5-core 6sq cable in a duct to 10sq armoured cables in ducts for each string and everything in-between!

Would anyone know what the wiring specifications says for this? I think it is I.S.10101 and part 712 refers to PV

The SEAI code of practice just say that cables should be installed underground in suitable ducts. I had left a 4in sewer pipe under my concrete yard for this purpose but I can’t find out if I am allowed use it or not. SWA cable is expensive too and seems overkill to have armoured cables inside ducts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

East-west facing semi-d in Dublin. No solar at the moment, horrendous gas bill. Don't know our BER but house is approaching 30 years old. I would like solar to run stuff in the house (the usual, TV, computers, fridge, lights, etc.), which has 4 adults, 2 of whom WFH a lot. Ideally I would also like to heat the water, power a battery so we can charge a (future) EV overnight, and sell surplus back to the grid.

Is this realistically possible with what's currently available, and the space I have? (I presume I can put panels on both roofs and run them into the one inverter?)

Roughly what sort of money am I looking at?

And can someone recommend places that install in Dublin where I can get quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Lot in this so let’s split it and enjoy getting solar, well work it

-East-west facing semi-d in Dublin – perfect for solar. Setup I have myself. E is morning sun, West is evening. Will get lower output than S but more evenly spread over the day

-BER won’t matter for solar, need a BER cert after the work to claim grant. But what the BER is doesn’t impact the grant or install

-Cost: Assume ~€1500 per 1kWp (1 KW of panels) after the grant. That’s crude but will give you a rough sense. Larger systems cost less per 1kWp as labour is a huge % of the cost

-Sell surplus back to the grid: We get ~20c FIT for units sent back to the grid (IE unused ones). Need a smart meter for that. Or a Day / Night meter (for what’s called deemed export, which is a set amount based on size of your solar inverter)

-EV: You don’t have one yet, but you’ll want a smart EV charger (like a Zappi) when you do. Can ignore that for now until you get an EV. Means excess solar goes into the car (needs to be in the driveway during core sunshine hours). About 1.5k supply and fit and get grant of €600 back. Don’t charge a large car battery from a small house battery (suffers electrical losses which means it’s wasted power, and wears the house battery more. Fine to do at times, but not every day forever more.

-Battery: House battery is a nice to have now that FIT pays well (which could change in time of course)

-Hot water: Can get a hot water diverter but it’s actually less expensive to heat the tank on cheap night rate if it’s a well insulated tank. Then get paid the FIT instead of sending those spare units to the hot water tank.

-Installer and getting up to speed: Solar PV Boards Members Installer Information — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin' & Interested in Solar PV? Read this FAQ first. — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'. Post quote here when you have them: Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1 - Page 163 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Thanks, that's brilliant, and a lot of help. Much appreciated.

The question I forgot - roughly how many KW of panels should I be looking to get in?

As much as you can A) afford B) roof can fit. Will be far cheaper to do now as labour is huge (roofers and sparks). Plus you get paid on what’s not used.

To get a sense of future usage: Our low-usage EV uses 2000kWh a year. Most EVs would use more I reckon due to higher mileage. Moving to electric heating (from gas) will use 1000s of kWh per year. Anything from 5000-10000 (finger in the air depending on what systems you get). If you’ve a gas cooker, you can move to electric. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Some (rough) rules-of-thumb.

• 1kwhr = 5Km of driving range. So if you do 20,000km a year in driving and then buy an EV, expect to use about 4,000Kwhr in electricity for the same distance
    • Average house in Ireland uses about 4,000-4,500 kWhr of leccie a year. (Without heating and EV)
    • 1Kwp in panels generates approx 900-1000 Kwhr in a "south config", about 800-900 Kwhr in an E/W config. It sounds odd, but if you have the space the E/W config is actually better.
    • Heatpump (with a COP of 3) should use about 4,000Kwhr to heat the house for the year. (usual caveats, about size of house, your desired temp, the insulation, etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 twitcherdub

Got solar the other day, 1 panel short. The system and roofing is ready for an additional panel. Is it possible to buy and install myself as the company want to charge me a lot for 1 panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is it possible to mount the inverter by the panels?

Then you can keep all the DC cabling short and over ground and run 1 6mm armored cables back to the consumer unit, I've just finished up similar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I got my Longi panels and microinverters delivered, looking to install them in the coming weeks. Thanks for the help here so far.

I'm thinking about AC-coupled batteries now. What AC-coupled battery storage do people have working with microinverters out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It doesn't matter what inverter you have or don't have. An AC coupled battery works even if you don't have any solar PV system at all!

Most people here have a Sofar ME3000SP. It's a very decent inverter but it is limited to just 3kW battery charging and discharging. Next step up if you have a ton of cash is the other popular AC coupled inverter system: the Tesla Powerwall 😁

What makes you go for an AC coupled system over a more traditional hybrid inverter? Both have pros and cons.

• Advertisement

Yes, I get you.

I'm going down the microinverter route as I have an awkward roof layout, multiple aspects, shading, and the largest roof area would only support 3 or 4 panels, hence it doesn't suit a string inverter. Total installed kW would come to a max of about 3 to 4 kW.

I'm looking at ac-coupling for those reasons but I just read that my hoymiles inverters will support frequency shifting for battery charge management, so that's one element which I understand better now.

Thanks for the guidance on the Sofar, it wasn't coming up as an AC-coupled inverter in my searches, but maybe I overlooked it.

Maybe I'll join you in 15kW-o'clock in the future.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

What's the other options that you have come across(just for curiosity)

I have heard people running the sunsynk as a storage inverter too (no pv, just batteries)

Victron's quattro or multiplus inverters as mentioned here.

A few others, but its not easy sorting out the AC from the MPPT types.

Victron's are overpriced for what they are. If you are going that sort of money, there's only a few quid more will give you an SMA sunny boy AC side inverter, they are simply the best there is. And if you would add a couple of pre made batteries to that, you might as well get a Tesla Powerwall for similar money and easy of use / maintenance. For your size system any of those are financlal overkill imho though and the pay back time questionable. But hey, it's your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

How do I turn off water heating when we are away from the house for some days? I'm happy to export all the surplus.

Can someone say what happens when the Eddi diverter is OFF?

The manual just says that it's off, no more.

I presume that means it does not heat the water. But does it export? The screen goes off too so I can't see.

Thanks

You can think of the Eddi as something which "Stops" exporting. So if the device is off....your spare electricity is free to run wild out onto the grid.

100% of your excess electricity is exporting (with the exception of whatever you put into the battery - if you have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

That's a very clear way to put it a thank you @bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

How do I work out the max number of panels I can use with a Hypontech 5kw non-hybrid inverter? They'll be on a flat roof at 10 degrees, one string SE, the other SW.

I have lots of space for panels so should I go for a 6kw inverter? Might be just enough time to get the NC6 in before 31st May cutoff. Would the extra FIT make it worthwhile as there's no way I'll use all my solar in height of Summer and I'm not planning a battery.

You need to look at the spec sheet of both inverter and the panels you are fitting, but in general you'd get about 12 panels on a string, so 24 panels in total on your inverter (but it probably can't handle all that DC power)

Cost of fitting extra panels is relatively cheap when the lads have to go up on the roof anyway. So I would generally advise to get as many up as you can. It's a relatively easy calculation to guess what you are not using times the FIT vs the additional cost of the panels, but you will likely kick yourself in due course if you don't max it out

Also most installers have several months waiting time for installs now. You're very optimistic to get it all done in the next 2 weeks and have the NC6 processed by the ESB within that time too. Or are you installing DIY (and not get subsidy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Thanks Unkel. Yes, I'm looking at self-install. It looks like I can forego the grant, pay 23% VAT, pay the RECI and still save a few grand! The NC6 has to be submitted by a RECI, doesn't it? But he can do it once he has the inverter datasheet? He doesn't have to fit anything? I have the inverter so that's why I'm looking at 5kw, no battery. But I've noticed someone is selling a nice 5kwh battery system so that might be an option .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK you can submit the NC6 yourself, @Mr Q I think submitted his own one. In advance of the install.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I did send in my own NC6, late 2021 I think. At the time I could fill in the RECI details myself and he did not need to sign the form before or after the connection. Realistically he wouldn't have even known I put him on it if I did not tell him.

But I think the form may have changed since then.

Anybody know an Irish supplier of BC01 AC mains connectors, I left myself short one for my Hoymiles inverters?

midsummer.ie used to do them, but looking now....I see that they seem to have stopped.... and yet, I found this via google.com

Hoymiles AC Male Connector (midsummer.ie)

Might be worth a shot. If that doesn't pan out, I might have a spare one - in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This is a great thread lots of info. I've just accepted a quote from a solar installer. He told me that the battery isn't worth getting and I can export excess to the national grid for electricity credit. That's grand but I don't have a smart meter right now. He says ESB plan to upgrade all meters to Smart within 4 months of going solar and offer them to every house in the country in 2024 (I'm always sceptical about what governments and companies tell me will happen by a certain date). In the meantime he reckons the electricity provider will credit me with an 'estimate' of how much electricity I'm exporting. I don't have a hot water tank, I use a gas combi boiler so I can't divert to hot water, I will depend on being able to export with no battery storage. Am I being mislead, any contrary opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

How big is your system, what is your estimated yearly production, how much will be self use etc. can’t really offer an opinion on your info above. As for metering you can apply for a smart meter to Esb networks but as far as I’m aware it’s dependant on them being in your area and fitting others or it can be a wait. As for calculated fit I think you have to be on a day night meter. If you’re on a 24 hour tariff you get nothing for units to the grid until you have a smart meter.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Thanks, it's a 24hr meter at present. It'll be an 8 panel system 400w panels. I'm in work most of the day 3 days per week but I have smart appliances, washing machine, dishwasher, slow cooker etc that I can set to start whatever time I like. So I can time most of my usage to coincide with peak solar output.

You can ask to go on the priority smart meter list. Contact your energy provider for that afaik.

. As someone said you won't get any deemed export FIT credit on a 24hr meter. CRU.IE confirmed that to me recently

Ah yes, thanks! It's hidden. I needed the female one... saves me having to go to Amazon!

Edit: 16 EUR delivery - shaggin' 'ell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For me, I could only get a small 2 kWp array on the south facing roof (mid-terrace so no E/W options, and N not worth it)

I'm going with a battery (6.6 kWh) to do some peak shaving, I think it's called, to charge the battery during off-peak hours and to run the house for as long as possible during peak hours on battery and Solar PV.

e.g. EI have off-peak boost from 2-4am at 13c, their normal peak rate is 43c. So even though I may still be using grid power, it'll be at a lower rate for a chunk of the time.

Typical average daily use for me is 10kWh, except for when I'm charging the car.

Advertisement