Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I really don’t understand the Bud Light controversy.

I don’t see the issue with a trans person drinking beer or being in an ad about it. Is that just not life now? I’d be more concerned with associating with people like Kid Rock.

Is the drama because the consumer is so conservative in the first place. ? Or is it totally unrelated but because “influencer” is not a profession.

If the negative feedback was around Nike and the sportswear, I could understand the reasoning.

I will say that the Brand has shown no integrity in the way it has treated Dylan Mulvanney, whether you agree with the sponsorship or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I started to type something here but I realise that if I give the answer I’d like then I’d suffer a mod action.

Can I just ask you, are you a woman and do you think that DM is a woman?

The drama/controversy is a simple one - they just don't like trans people.

And a frightening number of them want trans people eradicated

It's one thing arguing that a biological female should be promoting a women's line of clothing "Won't somebody please think of the women" - from the same people that rip the piss out women's sports and wish women had the same voting rights and were as subservient as the 18th century.

But the whole mask slipped when they brought out the shotguns and rifles and started blasting slab of cans and telling Budweiser to go **** themselves, all because a transwoman was sipping their pissy muck in an ad.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

What about when a trans person with a trans manifesto started blasting a school? Was that worse than blasting cans? So far the only eradication was done the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Not exactly 'woke', but I think Paul Murphy would agree...

Couple's gender reveal ends in tears after bakery filled cake with wrong frosting

The internet was left angry for a couple after a baby gender reveal cake was ruined by the bakery - which placed white icing in a cake instead of pink or blue frosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bit brave of them deciding the gender of the child before its born. White was the right answer. Bakery got it right. Terrible parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Karppi

I really do worry about the survival of our species when I read such pure and unadulterated crap as this. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Surely the wokeism of the year so-far is the decision of TCD to de-name the B*****y library.

I'm glad I went to a sane place like UCD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Because Bud had a wild frontier image that became part of the self-image of a certain kind of 'Murica! guy in a pickup truck. That was the brand. 'Transitionsing' to womanhood is the anthesis of that image of rugged individualism. (Monty Python beat them to it here).

It was a genuis piece of cultural subversion to put a trans on the can. But of course advertising isn't supposed to be about f*cking with people, is it? (Or is it?)

If you're a leftist who likes f*cking with people and that's your forté then you're fighting your spiritual/cultural war to bulldoze everything 'traditional' and everybody understands that, but its not serving the customer if that's your product.

In theory, you're supposed to be making a profit (though the way large financial corporations and their assets are managed and funded, that doesn't matter nearly as much as joe soap supposes).

I think people are far too lenient with all big corporations. They have no authority to dictate to people - just money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The thing is, 99% of the population would think the band are wrong. 99% of the population think that's a man.

I really hope to see them bomb at Eurovision. Fed up seeing nonsense stories like this in the media. They think they are being so woke and inclusive. F&%& em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Thanks everyone for the feedback re Bud Light. I didn’t know Dylan Mulvanney and did but know it was linked to 365 days of women / girlhood or whatever.

Looking at it now, it’s definitely the type of Americans feel threatened and can’t cope. I’d be more concerned about the kid rock types, he came across as a right psycho.

I would not bat an eyelid about a trans person drinking a can of beer in an ad. Id be more negative ti influencer being a real job but I’m not that generation so did it know if it was that.

I thought there would be more pushback about wearing women’s sports clothes as beer is unisex. But it’s more like…don’t touch our beer…it’s our heritage. Bit sad to be honest. Tgere was so much furore about ur, I thought there had to be more to it, but no.

It’s a tick box for the company who have now acted like complete weasels and the way they have treated Dylan Mulvanney and the marketing people show their real colours.

But as others say, this is true blame game corporation behaviour..” It wasnt us, it was two dodgy marketeers, and they are gone now”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It’s a tick box for the company who have now acted like complete weasels and the way they have treated Dylan Mulvanney and the marketing people show their real colours.

How have Budweiser treated Dylan Mulvaney badly?

WTF? I love Bannau Brycheiniog now

Did you see them defending their Brand Ambassador in any way. ?

Maybe I missed part of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Thanks to the posters here who mentioned what it was this guy tweeted. Because I read the article I didn't see it mentioned. I wonder if that was because the site knew that most of their readers would agree with him.

Respect to the AG of Arkansas and her fight against WOKEism.

A truly compelling argument.

One of the more interesting takes I heard on persistence and desistance came from UCSF gender clinician Erica Anderson, who is transgender herself. She views the very notion of measuring persistence/desistance as something of a fool’s errand, because such definitions are mediated by changing cultural norms, the self-perceptions of children and the ways that researchers interpret them.

“We’ve got kids of varying sophistication levels of language trying to explain to other people who have no experience [being transgender]," Anderson said, "and it’s being driven by shifting professional understanding or consensus and culture. You’ve got moving parts. In that context we’ve got a dynamic situation where kids who might say ‘I’m a girl’ might have said five years ago ‘maybe I’m a girl.’ ”

Ehrensaft herself doesn’t even like to use the terms persistence and desistance. Those words imply something fixed — a binary state of yes or no. But younger generations of transgender people — and even younger generations in the general population — see gender as more protean, even customizable. Of nearly 28,000 respondents to the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey, more than one-third said they were some form of nonbinary. That means they may identify as both male and female, neither male nor female, or sometimes male, sometimes female.

This, in theory, could solve a lot of problems. After all, if the gender fluidity trend continues, perhaps many people will have no unitary gender to "persist" or "desist" from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Berkeley, California both the city and the university are named for George Berkeley also.

His philosophy reminds me of the weird "we live in a simulation" mind-mush that you see pushed in the media a lot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it takes a village idiot to raise kids these days apparently, I'd like to think its a skit but it doesnt look like acting. the media is really doing a number on people's brains, but if staged, still funny

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

'Rowing is elitist and white'......Sir Steve Redrave on Sky sports, why is he only saying that now after so many years in the game? is it because it's a popular view now

And tell that to the lads travelling up and down the amazon in canoes on a daily basis

The fact that she's white I think it was well known, and a "Sir" calling someone elitists it's pretty much kettle calling the pot black.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Let’s say a sport is elitist and white. I don’t see it as a negative thing. It would be like saying long distance running is for poor black people. It just is what it is. There is no malevolent being dictating who does what.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

im sure in time we’ll be told that our GAA teams are too white, our cricket team is too white….etc..

ohhh wait, that’s happening already…

one Kerry newspaper…

Almost 16% of people living Kerry are of non-‘White Irish’ descent, yet our Gaelic football teams are almost exclusively made up of white Irish players. In Part II of a three-part series on racism in Irish sport, Adam Moynihan asks why so few foreign nationals and people of colour are lining out for their local GAA clubs.” another headlong desperate dive down into the wOkE sinkhole..

thats stat is probably fact, who knows… but why is it being disingenuously dressed up as racism ? Is there actual evidence to support that people and their participation is discouraged or blocked because of their race / ethnicity ? GAA teams are being accused of racism … otherwise why mention that in journalistic efforts that purport to be “…….three-part series on racism in Irish sport,…”

if I relocated to India tomorrow I’d have feck all interest in Kabaddi, their indigenous sport… they’d probably even if i did have little interest in me.

there is just a likelihood that people who haven’t grown up watching GAA have no interest in it…I doubt that clubs are turning away or discouraging kids from differing ethnical backgrounds…..People like Craig Dias, Jason Sherlock, Lee Chin ? Stellar careers at the top of their chosen sport, race was no barrier to success…participating and achieving…

Jason Sherlock…Respectable and successful career in Gaelic football, soccer, basketball…. Gone on to have a stellar professional career working in DCU.

so can’t see much in the way of elitism, racism or discrimination…. Pure wOkErY.

if I relocated to India tomorrow I’d have feck all interest in Kabaddi, their indigenous sport

You are both right and wrong about this: You are right because that's exactly what happens, the non-Irish people don't engage and don't really care about GAA. And you are wrong to not assimilate the culture of the country you have chosen to make it your home.

The racism (including the cultural type) of the immigrants is the main obstacle, not GAAs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I don't think it's racist for, say, an Indian to come to Ireland and not like hurling.

But it is absolutely what explains what Moynihan's talking about (I was only talking to some Russians about it recently actually). It's just human nature, and shows that the inevitable consequence of multi-culturalism is mono-culturalism.

I'm sure Moynihan, in the interests of journalistic balance, will soon have an article decrying the anti-Irish racism endemic in sports like cricket and chess.

It's not liking it because you don't like it, and it's not liking it because you don't even want to see what's all about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

"It's not liking it because you don't like it"

I don't think that's racist though. It's just the nature of culture and heritage. Moynihan seems unaware people don't magically change culture just because they travel a few thousand miles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement