Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Super advice, we would absolutely love to invest in one, and will take a lot of work out of it, unfortunately budget doesnt allow for it at the moment, but its on the savings list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

got the loan offer today.

Have house insurance and mortgage protection sorted. A few issues to sort from my solicitor re a declaration of identity and query re local authority planning but other than that things are moving quite well.

Anyone a rough guess on a timeline from loan offer to drawdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Shinynails

Hello all, I have found this thread so helpful.

Our funds issued to solicitor today and here is our timeline.

22nd  Dec ‘22 Confirmation from PTSB that our mortgage application was complete 

17th Jan House viewed and offer placed (we were first to view). There was no guide price just a POA 

24th Jan AIP

*At this stage we had lined up an engineer and sorted life assurance 

8th Feb Verbal sale agreed with EA for €10k over first bid who said he was sure vendors would accept. 

12th Feb Bereavement of a family member of EA

26th EA returned to work and asked for an amount €25k higher than verbal agreement 

27th Feb Sale Agreed at €5k over and deposit paid.

1st March Engineer called to the house

6th March Valuation 

6th March I requested copy of planning application for county council

7th March Engineer report in

23rd March Loan offer issued 

29th March Insurance sorted

6th March  to 17th April To and fro from solicitor and engineer to receive satisfactory answers from engineer (she was chasing him for a while and he took 2 weeks holidays between the report and this date). 

The house was renovated 2005 so compliance issues arose. 

20th April we signed contracts and transferred balance of 10% deposit

24th and 25th Vendors signed

26th April Solicitor received hard copy of contracts and contacted PTSB to request funds

27th Application with PTSB for Final Checks and Review

2nd May PTSB (morning )requested updated statement of funds to show we had amount for stamp duty and fees (no other docs requested).

2nd May (afternoon) PTSB issued funds to solicitor….Yay!!!!

Our broker and solicitor were great to deal with and easy to contact. The only delay was the engineer and the solicitor was really picky about qualifying the title and compliance. She queried a lot of points in his report. There was about a fortnight where she had not heard back from engineer and I didn’t know she was waiting on him. If I knew I could have put a rush on him. All turned out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anyone have dealings with the online broker doddl? Nobody else has requested loan statements just them on the portal but I received an email from the lad I was dealing with and it doesn’t mention the loan statements on the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Hi quick question. Do you need full mortgage approval to bid on a house and be accepted? Or will AIP suffice? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

just on the april 27th final checks and review, did you need to send in more documents at this stage?

They asked us for proof of funds and specified the amount they needed to see. The figure correlated to stamp duty and solicitors fees.

They didn’t ask for anything else. Best of luck to you

so basically a credit union/ saving statement will suffice.

We have rightly or more probably wrongly bought a few bits for the house even though we have not signed contracts yet, was wondering if banks would look unfavourably on this , looking at our accounts can see some larger transactions.

• Advertisement

Yep I had already transferred savings into my current account so I sent that over to them. I don’t think they trawled through my spends because the funds were then transferred over in a few hours.

But I had both my broker and solicit checking with them to see if it was progressing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭black & white

Just gone Sale Agreed on what was the Old Pairs house, got 90% of asking, house was on the market for 14 weeks. A nice area and decent house but as they wouldn't accept any help with maintenance etc, badly needs everything doing as the kitchen is 70's, bathroom early 60's and the carpets etc are there for 40 years. Typical of a house lived in by 90 years olds. Thankfully bought by someone who is going to live in it, whatever they put into it will add value as one on the next block which was modernised went for 45K more. I know I should have done the work but I honestly couldn't face it. Fingers crossed the sale will go through smoothly.

mort advisor was just going through my current account and noticed a payment into the account back 5 months ago! Not for the life of me do I know where it came from, it’s an account number but I’ve zero recollection of it and it’s not from any of my payees or bills.

will that hinder us with the underwriters It’s just over €700 but I just can’t remember it going in

make up something believable.

say you paid for something and a friend owed you back the money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

5 months ago could be revenue getting tax back :D or insurance payout?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TangoThree3

Have found this thread invaluable - figured I'd give a breakdown of the timeline for what seemed like a fairly straightforward probate sale.

17th Nov - Documents & application submitted to AIB

22nd Nov - AIP issued.

4th Feb - Viewed the house, first ones in the door and emailed an offer to the agent from the car.

7th Feb - Agent put forward a counter offer from the vendor, we met in the middle at €5k over ask, went sale agreed within an hour and got the deposit over.

8th Feb - Passed the details over to our advisor in AIB, quite a bit of back and forth for the next two weeks answering queries and providing additional proof of funds for solicitor fees & stamp duty.

2nd March - Contracts received by our solicitor.

3rd March - House Survey carried out.

6th March - Loan offer issued - valuation booked through AIB.

7th March - Survey report received and someone from the AIB panel called to the house for the valuation.

9th March - Valuation received - house insurance sorted through AIB/AXA, nice and cheap.

20th March - Mortgage Protection Issued.

21st March - Finally signed the contracts, ambitious closing date scribbled in for 7th April.

29th March - Vendor signed the contracts.

4nd April - Request for funds submitted - not received by AIB until the 11th..

13th April - Funds released to our solicitor.

21st April - Finally closed minutes before the agents were to close. Keys collected, happy out.

We found AIB great to deal with, really quick turnarounds once they have everything they need. We did have some issues with closed UB & KBC accounts, getting statements for them proved difficult since they didn't issue closing statements. Something to be aware of if you plan on closing an account after the application has been made as they'll need these for the loan offer.

We're in the middle of preparing an application for the vacant property grant as the house has been empty for 25 months. Perfectly liveable, but could do with €50k to upgrade and a repair a few bits. So far DCC have been a disaster 🙄

Yeah he said to say that so that he can put it on his notes

Yip and plus they won’t go back further then the 6 months to check I gave that money?

ECB announcing more rate increases, will all the banks put them up?

if so , how long will we have to draw down?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm sure the banks will put them up. As to when, we're hoping to close at the end of June, so no doubt it will be before then!

• Advertisement

if its only gonna be announced in the coming days , surely to god they will give you a couple of months before it kicks in?!

We were told that if we couldn't close by the 27th of May, we can expect to get caught in next wave of rate hikes, and we're with PTSB

pretty much goosed too :D

We had to switch houses about 2 weeks ago and the new one, while proactive, just can't see us getting contracts done and dusted by May 27th. We're due to get them to our solicitor next week but we've done everything we can with the banks so far, only thing really outstanding from our side is the survey of the new house, but I've been burned too many times now and won't book it until the contracts arrive and the solicitor signs off of an initial review.

It's POSSIBLE that everything will work out for me, but at this point I just want a house at SOME point :D I've already gotten 2 rate hikes since I started looking at houses so you adjust over time anyway (but can still be bitter about it :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Following up on this - I asked the estate agent what the house previously went sale agreed at and he was happy to tell me that it was €20k over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

Very unsure of what to do: We are looking to relocate to another county with our kids to be closer to family, it's an expensive area so we need every cent we can get. Our home is up on the market 7 weeks now in a much sought after area. House is A3 rated, 6 years old and in turn key condition but it's not reaching the price we thought we'd get for it, or anywhere near what neighbours have got for theirs. Basically our EA's marketing tactic of price low to get people in the door and spark a bidding war hasn't really worked, we've had loads of people viewing but the highest offer is sitting just above asking . Based on the EA evaluation (25-45k above asking), we were hoping for about €20k more minimum and would never have considered taking asking price. Looking back, we shouldn't have agreed to this tactic, it feels like we were stringing people along. Do we try negociate the top bidder up or just pull the house from the market and wait a year to see what the housing market does. We strongly feel to sell at the current offer would be selling for less than it is worth to us. We love the area and the people so we're in no major rush but obviously would prefer to make the move now ahead of the start of the school year in Sept. Also it's been so stressful, haven't slept great in 7 weeks with it all going around in my head!

Is there any benefit to taking the house down off the market for a few weeks and putting it back up at the price we would actually take? For the area, it would still be considered reasonable. New builds of the same size house are going for 80-100K more in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

We're in the same boat. We have a minimum amount that we need to achieve in order to be able to satisfy the purchase price of a house we are currently sale agreed on.

EA went for the list low and get bidders in tactic. Loads of interest and a good few bidders but the bids are going up in small amounts only and we're still way off what we need.

EA seems to be confident we'll achieve what we want and essentially to hold tight and trust the process. He could be right but as you say it's just a nerve-wracking and anxious experience.

I'm gonna be honest with you, as someone who's been bidding on houses a bit the last while, we've use a re-listing of a house as a reason to negotiate down the price. Latest house we are sale agreed on was up for 50k more in Jan, dropped to it's current asking in Apr and we undercut the new asking price by another 15k. It's a bit different in that the seller was keen to sell but pulling down and putting it up again is not guaranteed to help and can (and likely will) be used against you by longer term spectators.

I don't have any really good advice for you to help you get the offer up. I'd highly recommend anyone considering selling in the future, don't be convinced into putting an asking price you're unhappy with taking on the house. You could try negotiating with the highest offer holder but be warned, the advice they are given across the board is "don't bid against yourself" so if you're looking to get a bit more out of them, I'd look for a pretty small increase. we agreed to a 2.5k raise to get the house to go sale agreed on the first one but since that fell through, I wouldn't do it again

Thats a disaster.

can i ask who told you about the 27th being the cut off?

i just asked my broker today and she said that it more than likely wouldnt affect me as we would be all sorted by then.....

She said thats todays increase is only for variable , so i dont know what to make of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

House hunting with partner and disagreeing on bidding tactics. Curious what those who have recently gone sale agreed would advise.

We are FTB with AIP and eager to move quickly for various reasons, family and current living situation. Have solicitor and surveyor on hand. We have found a house that ticks all the boxes and want to make an offer. For context, 3 bed Semi, North Dublin suburb.

Partner's preferred approach is starting under offer by 5-10% and then see how it goes. Personally, in hoping to use our FTB/keen to move fast attributes to our advantage, I would be inclined to offer slightly over asking. Ultimately I think the property is worth asking + 5-7%. Other similar properties we have viewed in the area at same asking price have current offers of asking +2.5%.

I know it probably can't be avoided, but I am hoping to avoid drawn out bidding war and just present a fair but attractive price and secure a quick sale for all.

Friends who have recently bought outside Dublin advised offering under, but I'm wondering if Dublin is a different kettle of fish?

Advertisement