Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As someone who spent a portion of last year toying with leaving the UK for the continent, I wouldn't put it that way. The Tories are obviously going to deflect and obfuscate for their own ends but it seems to me that lots of countries are struggling with cost of living crises, absurd house prices and a lack of opportunities outside cities.

Moving to Ireland isn't practical because house prices are crazier than I feared. I was looking at a small town near Utrecht in the Netherlands and saw appalling house prices. Same in the Rhineland-Palatinate and so on. These would be areas where my lack of a second language isn't too much of an issue.

What I'm trying to say is that I would want to move to make things better for myself and I don't see any real options for that. Sure, healthcare may be more accessible, inflation lower and a lot fewer people use foodbanks in the EU but the EU27 seem to be suffering from some of the same problems as the UK albeit without the abject stupidity of Brexit and the Tories.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,633 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That is exactly my point. The Tories, and Brexiteers, blamed it all on the EU. That the EU was holding them back on that by leaving they would take back control. But the last few years show that there is a distinct lack of control that all governments have.

Hence why, when the likes of JRM trot out that France, Austria or whomever, is doing equally bad, why that it isn't thrown back at them that leaving the EU was sold as the remedy for that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is done now and again but it gets forgotten very quickly in the age of 24-hour news and social media. See above for an excellent example of Marina Purkiss taking one Jacob Rees-Mogg to task. The media are overwhelmingly pro-Tory and pro-Brexit.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Moving in search of QoL improvements and not seeing much difference elsewhere is one thing for someone (I'm assuming) in a reasonably well salaried, professional position. There is certainly a common squeezing on house prices and cost of living impacting everywhere....but at that lower end where people are being left to depend on foodbanks etc, the differences may be much more stark.

There's no doubt that tremendous wealth exists in the UK, but the growing rich/poor divide is what concerns me most.

Forgot to add that. Thanks for this.

Yeah, I'm fine here at the end of the day. I've a decent job at a good university. I want to change but I've not much idea what to. While I work that out, I remain secure in my position.

Anyone on benefits or working on minimum here would be insane to hang around. I know a few doing that and I'd be straight back home, frankly if I were in their shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was in hospitality up to 2020 and there was a biblical level exodus between 16 and 20.

Long before Covid and current staffing problems before anyone starts with the "blaa blaa Ireland blaa blaa"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

The UK has arguably *much less* control now, than it did pre-Brexit, and that whatever is left of that control is waning as fast as events and stakeholders keep piling socio-economic pressure on the British ecosystem.

Chiefly, because the one thing the EU27 were the most united about during the difficult birth of Brexit, and still are to this day, is this: no special deal for the UK, given its diverging intents. About anything. Galileo, phyto checks, e-gates, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Comparing UK with Ireland, both government s are right wing and pursue similar economic policies. The biggest problem in Ireland is housing and for ideological reasons the government would not spend our ample financial excess fixing the problem but instead hand it over to foreign vulture funds to make money out of peoples needs. So not too different , on economic policy to UK. (A post perhaps for another thread)

I have a family member in Berlin and they have been able to purchase an apartment for fairly modest cost. Of course other locations in Germany might be different. But rent is controlled and affordable rentals are available. Property is a lot cheaper in Spain and Portugal. Bit I appreciate you might be restricted to certain locations for professional reasons.

It appears you have an Irish passport so at least those options will always remain open to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"Comparing UK with Ireland, both government s are right wing and pursue similar economic policies."

Do they? Irish government appears to me to be far to the left of the UK government. I don't see taxpayer euros being spent on red-meat issues like deporting boat people, in fact, most on the right in Ireland complain the governments been too generous.

Irish government appears to invest in infrastructure - roads, broadband plans. UK? Uhh... HS2 but not really?

And, as far as I can tell, benefits (dole, Xmas bonuses, ...) only ever go one way in Ireland - up. UK? Not so much.

As to how the government spends its surplus, well, it buys votes with it for sure. Whether there's enough surplus to make a difference in the perceived housing problem isn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Care to explain "perceived housing problem"? What, you don't believe there is one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: Housing in Ireland is not relevant to this thread.

Interesting. I always thought German properties were ludicrously expensive hence the emphasis on renters' rights.

As for economic policy, I'd have to disagree because of Brexit. Nobody hoping to build a career in Ireland would be stupid enough to advocate for something like Brexit. It'd be career suicide. I can't comment on Irish government policy as I'm not clued in on that.

Microsoft not holding back in its criticism of post-Brexit Britain..

He added: “For all of us who had some hope that post Brexit, the UK would construct a structure that would be more flexible, be better for investment, be better for technology, we’re now finding that the opposite appears to be true.”

To be honest, Microsoft felt they might get their way because they hoped the authority would be more flexible than the EU.

A cynic might say that "post Brexit, the UK would construct a structure that would be more flexible, " translates as " .. big business can do what it wants regardless... "

I can see where a concern might be that the games involved might not continue to be available , long term, on Nintendo and Sony games consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You say that as if there are no Nintendo/Sony exclusive games in the first place to drive/force you to buy their specific consoles today...

To be fair, a post-Brexit UK could have become a great place to do business under shrewd management with the political will and nous to get things done. The problem is that we've invested supreme executive party in a toxic and talentless Tory party and then rewarded it for its repeated failures, corruption and abuses.

I am only quoting from an article of the past few days explaining the ruling. It seems Microsoft would be in a very dominating position if the acquisition went ahead. Possibly to the detriment of customers. The same decision would probably be made in any EU country

I don't play any games so I have no idea who makes what .

Brexit is a disaster, but the UK not bowing down to corporate greed is surely to be commended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Bad as I think Brexit is, a multinational having a hissy fit over not getting their way isn't a great measure of anything. On the other hand, it don't do any harm to the case of those wanting to repair the damage done by Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The selfish gamepass subscriber in me wishes it would go through but the rational long term view part of me understands why it would be terrible.

However there is definitely something fishy in this as in the CMAs previous guidance statements this looked like a lock for approval, in fact in nearly all commentary on this you will see that pretty much everyone is surprised by this decision, many expected the FTC and the EU to block it or at least make things much more difficult so there would be a lobbying fight but nobody expected the CMA to block it least of all over cloud gaming.

So I think M$ are right to appeal as im honestly interested to know the details of how and why they seemingly suddenly changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'd make a slight variation on what you said - Microsoft might have felt that they would get their way because they thought that the Brits would be more desperate.

I'd say that there's all sorts of things being cooked up at the moment that are predicated on exactly the same basis.

You'd have to say kudos to the British for not giving in on this occasion.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine a company like Microsoft saying this about any other country though? That's just how far the UK has fallen in terms of prestige, soft power and respectability. It baffles me that this is just the new normal here.

Google crashed out of this market and the other major player, Nvidia, fully supports the deal as their streaming platform would get access to more games because of it. This isn't some guaranteed market in danger of one dominant player, it's a market in danger of not surviving at all.

"The Activision Blizzard deal could have been the biggest shot in the arm for cloud gaming ever because Microsoft promised to sweeten the pot with huge concessions to other players in the market. Did you know Microsoft promised to put every one of its PC games on every eligible cloud service on their release day for 10 years if the deal went through? Nintendo could have theoretically set up its own servers to get Call of Duty running on Switch with Microsoft’s blessing. Smaller cloud gaming providers would have had access too."

It isn't as simple as "kudos to the government for standing up to big business".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Google got bored as they always do and Sony don't seem to be bothered competing for it at all. It's possible Microsoft are the only ones capable of supporting this service under the current tech restraints due to how big they are, the only other potential competitor with the required infrastructure is amazon but they only seem interested in developing their own games. I agree the merger shouldn't happen but I honestly think the cloud gaming reasoning is rubbish and the CMA are trying to backtrack on their previous statements when they realized nobody else was going to approve this.

Post edited by VinLieger on

Some people are finding out about the 'benefits' of sovereignty and UK passports the hard way.

A rule I was unaware of, third country passports are only valid for entry to Schengen area for ten years, even if they have not expired.

And Hilary Benn sums up the 'benefits' of Brexit in this eloquent speech.

Interestingly, at the end of his speech he refers to a number of parties who already have policies on re-joining the EU, or at least the single market. All before the UK government actually implement the control that 'taking back control' implied.

There is no way the UK economy can expand and improve without there being closer links to the Single Market, whether through a Norway type deal or full membership of the EU.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the other side of the lie of control of non-EU immigration.

The rules haven't changed. While an EU country the UK always had full control of non-EU visitors.

It doesn't matter if a passport is valid for use in the UK. It needs to be valid in the country you are going to.

In the case of the Schengen this means valid for your return date + 3 months. Elsewhere it may be different. In Romania it's 6 months from date of entry

Norway accepts the 4 freedoms, pays per capita what the UK used to pay after the rebate. Norway has an economy based on exports of food, fuel and energy and raw materials whereas the UK economy based on services and manufactured goods and so wouldn't have much use of any possible exemptions from EU trade deals.

Turkey is in the the customs union for manufactured goods and so has to take whatever trade deals the EU makes with third parties. But they get to do their own deals on exports of food whereas the UK imports something like 40% of it's food.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

The EU's about to launch a unitary patent system which will grant patents across 17 EU countries (initially; more later) for a single application and fee. There will also be a single court to adjudicate disputes. The UK helped plan it before we left. https://single-market-economy.ec.europa.eu/industry/strategy/intellectual-property/patent-protection-eu/unitary-patent-system_en

@ambro25

You probably hate to say you you told them so, but you told them so..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@Ben Done : indeed I did, although there is a lot more to that particular animal, than the tweet relates.

The UPCA is an international agreement which sets up its own jurisdiction, and the UPC (court) within that.

Think UN (in New York, but not US) or, topically indeed, the World Intellectual Property Office (in Geneva, but not Swiss) and, confusingly, the European Patent Office (in Munich and The Hague -mostly- but neither German, nor Dutch, nor even ‘European’ within the EU meaning of the adjective).

The UPCA was decades (around 4) in the wanting and making, and the UK was instrumental in bringing it about. To the extent that it ‘nabbed’ one of two central divisions (biotech for one, mech/leccy eng and ICT for the other) very early on, the other going to Paris, and the UK actually set up a physical Court in London once the thing got properly on the rails, years ago (2015 or 2016 IIRC).

[edit] must have been late 2016/early 2017, as that photo in the linked blogpost of June 2016, is the one I remember seeing when the thing was announced-

https://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2017/06/to-upc-or-not-to-upc-that-is-question.html [/edit]

The fly in the ointment with Brexit? The “unlock feature”, after so many decades, was the peripheral involvement of the EU late on (all UPCA member states are EU, but not all EU27 are in yet - incl. Ireland, which needs to run a referendum about it), with the usual role of the ECJ as arbiter on the interpretation of any point of EU law brought up in proceedings.

In the end the UK exited stage left for good in early 20, once Brexit got actually defined. And didn’t get the central division, wherein things have changed about that since (one still in Paris, one in Munich, talks still ongoing about a third in Milan).

As it happen, the Registrar for EP patents opted in and out is here in Luxembourg, likewise the UPCA Court of Appeal. Mrs ambro25 and I are peripherally involved with it, in different guises.

The jury is still very much out about whether the UPC will fly or not, of course. But one thing is certain: the UK, had it not Brexited, and the British profession would have been best-placed as the interface between that new system and the non-EU English-speaking corporate world (i.e. the very vast majority of it).

As it is, they will be gradually fading from view, with the French and German professions taking that role over (they already are, in terms of national patent litigation in Europe).

Small as it may be, there is a magnificent opportunity for the Irish profession here. So get that referendum about the UPCA going quick sharp 😉👍🏻

Post edited by ambro25 on

• There's a big opportunity for the Irish legal profession, if they had the capacity to take it on.

There's an obvious lack of court capacity here even to cope with the volume of cases generated domestically.

The fact that Ireland's legal system operates in English (almost entirely), is a Common Law jurisdiction with very similar processes to English Law and systems that would also be very familiar to anyone from the US, or pretty much any of the anglophone countries, yet is still in the EU, should be making us a prime location for a lot of those kinds of services.

There would even be a possibility of bringing UK trained lawyers into the system to bolster the capacity and scale. They can adapt to it with relatively simple conversion courses to bring them up to speed on the nuances of Irish Law, but when you look particularly at the Civil Law area, it really not really very different to how things work in England. You can even cite judgements from other Common Law jurisdictions (in a non binding way) as part of precedent when building a case here. So, there would be a possibility of using judgements from English cases as at least a basic logical framework for cases here, even if they don't form any part of Irish Law they can actually be referenced and referred to when building a case.

However, what I keep hearing is we don't have the courts capacity, volume of judges or scale and haven't been ramping things up as quickly as we could be doing.

Our legal costs here are also astronomically high, although in a lot of these kinds of cases I don't think that would particularly be a barrier. They're usually money no object type situations.

I wouldn't be so sure. I remember a lot of similar talk about financial services post-Brexit which never really materialised. I recall an article from the CEO of a major bank (JP Morgan Chase IIRC) saying that Dublin's infrastructure was much too poor for it to be attractive. I'm open to correction to any legal experts here but Ireland's housing crisis along would be enough to put off most people. Companies might view Ireland as a desirable place in which to do business but potential employees may not.

Personally, I'd move over tomorrow if it'd get me out of housesharing, even if it was to pour pints and wash glasses.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

• Dublin's definitely beyond capacity at the moment. I think though the main issue for the legal people is probably the rather small scale of the courts system and fact it simply never had significant volumes of these types of cases.

It's not an incitement of the Irish system in the sense that it is what it is and it evolved to serve a domestic market.

There is scope to grow it though over the years, and even decades ahead, as Ireland's going to remain in the rather unusual situation of being a significant if small English speaking, Common Law jurisdiction within the EU legal framework.

Cyprus is also a largely Common Law jurisdiction having been a British colony until 1960, but it's a bit more complex, as it's a hybrid of English Law, with strong influences of Greek administrative law (which is in turn influenced by older French derived concepts) and concepts from Ottoman Law, especially in how property is handled, as well as having its own structures and laws that have evolved since the 1960s. it also officially speaks Greek and Turkish, even though English is widely spoken too.

Ireland's really has a lot going for in the years ahead if it plays it cards right anyway, and it usually does with this kind of thing.

I know we drive a lot (most) of FDI with tax incentives, but it's pretty much inevitable that Ireland's always going to remain some kind of significant bridge or beachhead connecting the EU and the US in particular, but into the broader anglophone market - UK, Canada, Australia/NZ etc.

I mean, we really do plug into two systems in many respects.

We need to be strategically positioning ourselves to be able to scale up and take advantage of these unique situations, not just chasing FDI. There's a huge scope for Irish services companies and so on and there are some of them already finding niches in this area, and I don't just mean legal affairs.

The point is we need to start seeing offering a really good lifestyle as a key selling point. This astronomically expensive housing thing is just not doing us any favours at all. Dublin, Cork etc could and should be aiming towards being extremely attractive places to live - that's the only way we will compete for the kind of talent that we will need in the decades ahead and at present, we're really letting things flounder and run wild in a worrying kind of way and not seeing that putting in really good quality infrastructure etc is long term what will underpin everything here. While we have the resoeuces to do it we should be getting it done.

Brexit has turned a lot of things on their head and it's opened up a lot of potential opportunities ...

Advertisement